The Sewing Place

Japanese Kits Completed

Sandra

Japanese Kits Completed
« on: March 30, 2020, 10:17:18 AM »
I've bought several kits from the Festival of Quilts over the past few years, and apart from looking at them occasionally and thinking how nice they are, I've been a bit slow at actually making any of them up.

Well...we have a bit of spare time on our hands recently, don't we  ><  so I decided to make up my 'sashiko and applique circle tote bag'...( Euro Japan Links)

Never tried sashiko before. Not sure that I enjoyed it, probably because I don't especially enjoy hand stitching, but I like the look of it and I'm pleased to have completed it.

I've lined mine in a bright orange cotton fabric.  :)
Lining wasn't supplied in the kit. There was a choice of two fabrics for the applique circle, and I've used the spare one to make a small patch pocket on the lining.

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

Re: Japanese Kits Completed
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 10:18:33 AM »
That is stunning @Sandra. So neat!  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 10:20:30 AM »
Wow!

Your first sashiko? Seriously?

Wish I could stitch as evenly as that.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lowena

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 10:28:35 AM »
That's excellent @Sandra and very pretty  <3
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 10:38:39 AM »
Absolutely bloody Gorgeous @Sandra  Bravo!!!!!!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 10:39:59 AM »
I usually attend the FoQ with my daughter. She first accompanied me when she was about 9 -ish. (She's 18 now)

She's never taken a particularly big interest in sewing but has been quite happy to tag along with me. She really likes the miniature quilts, and appreciates a clever design, good colours and the hard work which has been put into making them.

I'm training her well, and she has her own little fat quarter stash.  :) She sees pretty fabrics, fun prints, and buys it. That's my girl!  0_0
She also bought herself a kit, again from Euro Japan Links, which I never expected her to bother to make...ever.
This one's called 'Moonlight'.

Well, boredom kicked in and she has had a go.
She barely asked me for any advice and just got on with it.

The only thing she couldn't work out for herself was the binding, so I pinned it on and marked where she was to stitch up to...then re-pinned around the next side until she'd gone all the way round. She trimmed it all off and I've turned the binding over and pinned it.
She feels she simply can't hand stitch it onto the back...'Oh, I can't do neat little stitches like that'... so this is pinned for now.

I'm impressed by her neatly hand stitched clouds. I doubt if I'd have got them as good as that.

Sandra.
xxx

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:12 AM »
Wow!

Your first sashiko? Seriously?

Wish I could stitch as evenly as that.

@Sewingsue It's printed onto the fabric, so I can't take any credit for making the design as tidy as it is.

Sandra.
xxx

wrenkins

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 10:43:19 AM »
My face just did  :o!

Way to go Gertie! That's amazing. I'd love to try a landscapey type thing but I wouldn't know where to start. I do now. I'm gonna copy hers!  8)
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Pearl

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 10:49:26 AM »
They are both gorgeous, @Sandra .  Bravo, @Gertie.

Ellabella

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »
If she can stitch clouds like that she can stitch quilt binding. Both projects are lovely.

Elnnina

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 11:02:58 AM »
Sandra your bag is absolutely beautiful - there is something really satisfying when hand stitching - well done

Now your talented daughter, wow her first attempt using a sewing machine and then some applique and some sashiko as well and it is so neat - again well done.

Now a little tip for her to hand stitch the binding down.  Something I learned when at school was that we always had to hem into every single machine stitch and that keeps it very neat.  However today I do not think that is even needed, so how about hemming into say every second or third stitch and sliding the needle along in the fold of the binding, then she would have a very neat finish.  It just takes a little practise and hopefully she will enjoy this.

BrendaP

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 11:10:03 AM »
@Sandra they are both stunning.   :loveit:

Like mother-like daughter.  You have been training her well.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Silver Rose

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 11:10:28 AM »
Wow, well done to both of you, so clever.
Still learning

maliw

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2020, 14:51:27 PM »
Oooh @Sandra , they are lovely and well done to DD - what's next on the 'to do' list?
Sashiko is on mine  as well as a dozen other things :|
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Sandra

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 15:25:51 PM »
Hmmm???...what's next?

I've got another sashiko kit for a bag or cafe apron, 'Japanese boxes' kit for a wall hanging or cushion cover...(Imi's done this one), 'Five Little Kimono' kit for a wall hanging, Kanzashi flowers kit, Riverside Koi Carp kit for a wall hanging, and a Kingfisher cushion kit (I think BrendaP's done this one).
I've got a couple of Elizabeth Hartman patterns, Greenhouse, and Fancy Forest.

My daughter wanted to make a dress...just so she knows how a dress would be made...and the fabric's arrived for that this morning.

I've got some quilt tops which would be nice if they had wadding, backing and binding.
And...it'd be good if I could find something to replace the centre of the fugly Murder Mystery quilt.

Some of this stuff's been hanging around for ages.  :|
Really ought to get on with it.

Sandra.
xxx