The Sewing Place

Applique 'Tree of Life'

Sandra

Applique 'Tree of Life'
« on: March 31, 2020, 15:59:25 PM »
Another purchase from the Festival of Quilts. I must have bought this 5? years ago.  :S

It's been stuffed in a drawer ever since, with all the bits to make it, but I just haven't had the inclination to make a start on it.  :\

It was bought from the (Liberty) Alice Caroline stand, and you get the pattern and instructions to make a small quilt or wallhanging. Finished size is 32" x 42".
It's raw edge applique. I've got a stash of loads of Liberty fabrics...just small pieces in lots of different colours. Just what's needed for this.

Well. It's larger than I was expecting it to be.  :o

The tree's looking a bit Wintery for now.
I've been sorting through my fabric stash for fabrics which might be suitable for the leaves, flowers, butterflies and the peacock...yes. There's going to be a peacock.  ><

Took ages getting the tree into position. I'm running very low on the Bondaweb stuff but I have some more due to arrive in the next couple of days.

More pics to follow when I progress further.

Sandra.
xxx

Ellabella

Re: Applique 'Tree of Life'
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 18:56:39 PM »
@Sandra aTree of Life is just what we need right now 

Looking forward to watching it grow.

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 19:02:36 PM »
This got me thinking about making one using scraps for the leaves  :)
Willing but not always able :)

RJR_38

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 21:03:39 PM »
Looking forward to seeing it develop. I have loads of scraps to use... hmm...  ><

Sara-S

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 21:49:36 PM »
Nicely done. As I know nothing about applique, can you explain what "raw edge applique" is and perhaps a bit about how to do it?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

Lisalou1965

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 08:58:02 AM »
It is where you apliquée your pieces of fabric without turning the edge under, so eventually with washing, you get a sort of frayed edge look.

Lx
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time

Sandra

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 11:23:42 AM »
It is where you apliquée your pieces of fabric without turning the edge under, so eventually with washing, you get a sort of frayed edge look.

Lx

That's it @Sara-S  :) It's a bit of a lazy version of applique. These pieces will be 'glued' on with the Bondaweb. It says to then stitch around them with a straight stitch, although I could use a zig-zag/satin stitch or blanket stitch to attach them which would make them more neat and hard wearing in the long term.

I've had a good rummage through my fabric pieces to see which fabrics might work best.

Took ages trying to find combinations which worked. Lots and lots of busy prints  :S which didn't/don't look good together.

I've pinned the selections onto the quilt, roughly where they're to be stitched. I dare say these will change as I start to attach them.
I think I'll put the peacock on first as he was easy and he's going to remain in the fabrics I've chosen.

Sandra.
xxx

Iminei

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 11:27:32 AM »
Applique can be very tidy ... I always use a small blanket stitch (2 -2) on mine

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sandra

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 08:30:54 AM »
Progress as of yesterday afternoon. I'm completely out of Bondaweb now so can't do any more, but postie should bring some in the next day or two.

These are pinned on for now. I want to make sure I'm happy with the colours and positions before they're fixed on permanently.

Sandra.
xxx

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 10:29:51 AM »
That's going to be fabulous!   :loveit:

And I just found the pattern... which means I found the Alice Caroline website... haven't deployed a winkelwagen yet, but...   :o
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:45:16 AM by Acorn »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 10:33:18 AM »
Lovely, Sandra
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Sandra

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 12:11:33 PM »
 :) Thanks ladies.

Postie's been and he's brought me the Bondaweb I was waiting for.

Sandra.
xxx

Sandra

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 12:36:29 PM »
Most of the pieces are in position. There were a few flowers I didn't like the colours I'd chosen, so I'm re-doing those.

Sandra.
xxx

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 12:39:14 PM »
That's really beautiful! It must feel lovely to be working on something like that rather than someone's mucky trousers!

Sandra

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 13:04:48 PM »
That's really beautiful! It must feel lovely to be working on something like that rather than someone's mucky trousers!

0_0 Ha, ha...it certainly does.

Sandra.
xxx