The Sewing Place

Big disappointment

Celia

Re: Big disappointment
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 14:09:46 PM »
@KayK  I am glad you are progressing with the return, just out of nosiness which Bernini have you ordered

KayK

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 14:31:27 PM »
@KayK  I am glad you are progressing with the return, just out of nosiness which Bernini have you ordered

I have ordered the Bernina 475QE - it seems to have the functions I covet!  Like, thread cutter, patchwork foot, walking foot, a good deal of quilting stitches, free hand system.  I dont need hundreds of fancy stitches, but just some quality and reliability. They offer a 7 year guarantee if you have the machine serviced by the engineers every so often, which I am prepared to do!  I would really, really like one of the 7 series models, but no way can I afford such - so this is a mid-price, mid-range machine which is a good size without being huge!

Well if it's any consolation, @KayK, I have been putting my Juki through its paces and I have found that I may have made a mistake as well. I will wait til after the lockdown to trade in for something else. I won't be returning it unused though. I did try it out in the shop but it's not until you really get down to some heavy duty sewing that you really see how the machine performs. No idea what I will get instead.

Oh that's awful that you have now found it's true colours!  Such a shame as it really did have hefty promises.  I didnt really get to put mine through its paces as I was bothered it wouldnt cope too well.  I am sure it would cope with some pretty basic sewing, but at that price, it should really be pretty good.  Can I ask about your issues too?
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Puzzler

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 16:41:39 PM »
I think all the plastic got to me. I know it's what makes the machine lighter weight but all the bits and pieces seem so fragile. I am a klutz and worry about breaking something on it.

The needle threader is in my eyeline and distracting. In particular, I don't like the way it wobbles when I use the zigzag stitch. I can see it eventually breaking if I used it continually. See klutz comment above.

When I sew a straight seam, I sew fast. The DX7 runs at a good speed but at the fastest the machine moves around a bit.

The bobbin winding situation is not intuitive and I find it fiddly.

For the machine to run, the presser foot must be down. Fair enough. However there were a few times when the foot was definitely down but the message on the screen kept flashing for me to lower it. This only happened occasionally but it's annoying. I tried turning the machine off and on and that cleared it but can't be good to do that repeatedly and why should I have to? Apart from that I would have to really let the foot slam down so it would register with the computer. This may be a fault but as I said it doesn't happen all the time.

I know I am very spoiled as I am used to an all metal machine. I know there is a trade off when I want a lighter weight machine.

I would like two spool pins, one vertical and one horizontal, that come with the machine and are not purchased as extras. One of the other machines I was reviewing on line had this option

Like you, I don't need so many decorative stitches, just all the utility stitches, a few decorative and some alphabets.

I do love the cut function. Put a goofy grin on my face every time I used it. A novelty that would eventually wear off and a feature of many machines at this price point.

Still, it's very much a first world problem. Good luck with the Bernina. Let us know how you like it whenever it arrives.

KayK

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 20:27:02 PM »
Oh well @Puzzler - your issues are very similar to mine indeed! 
The bobbin winder isnt easy, and it is very easy to wind a barrel shaped bobbin - oh boy, did I have to explain to the shop what a barrel shaped bobbin looked like! (its not that hard to understand, is it?)

I agree that the threader does a dance - it does an even better one when the walking foot or free motion foot is connected - it really scared me, and the extra feet are not easy to fit.  I do need a horizontal spool pin - I have a Prym free standing one, but would like one attached to the machine.  You are right, I noticed a shake on the machine when I ran it slightly faster than medium - My other Juki straight stitches like a thing possessed.  I also had the same problem with the presser foot as you when using the knee lift - the computer didnt recognise that it was down & flashed the annoying signal!

The little slider to change the needle plate to straight stitch is weeny & operated by a tiny, tiny spring.  The position of the feed dog drop annoyed me intensely - my machine sits in an elderly Horn cabinet, which the lift mechanism had to be altered every time I took the accessory 'bed' off to access the feed dog drop, which I use an awful lot.  Once again I didnt think the little plastic switch would last long.

Good luck with whatever you choose next.  It is so difficult.
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Celia

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 23:41:54 PM »
I am sure you will love the Bernini I have a 350 PE  which I considered selling at one time but it is a really great little machine and very sturdy, I only considered selling as it is a small machine but a bit too heavy for me to carry around. Now I am so glad I kept it as for detailed small things it is my favourite machine

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »
@KayK @Puzzler   

Doughtys have just announced they are now a Janome stockist and have lots of special offers on at the moment!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Puzzler

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 10:59:25 AM »
I need to bring the machine back to the dealer once lockdown is over and they are open so I can do a trade-in. I want to try the machines first before I buy. I will try a wider selection next time.

KayK

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 12:24:59 PM »
Its funny, how I was really excited about having a new machine, but the yearning seems to have quelled.  I hope you don't feel the same @Puzzler.  I do agree about going and trying them out in the shop though - shame I didn't do the same!

I have looked at the Janome 6700P with interest, but fear that it may be the same as the JukiDX7  in that it seems to promise a lot, but does it perform?  It looks very much like my old Juki straight stitch, which is all metal and as solid as they come.....but? who knows?

So Chic

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2020, 13:12:35 PM »
@KayK  - I'm sure you will enjoy using your Bernina and have you been offered the free day's tuition to get to know your machine.  Obviously it won't be possible at the moment but it's well worth taking when we are back to normal times.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Puzzler

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2020, 13:56:51 PM »
Its funny, how I was really excited about having a new machine, but the yearning seems to have quelled.  I hope you don't feel the same @Puzzler.  I do agree about going and trying them out in the shop though - shame I didn't do the same!

I have looked at the Janome 6700P with interest, but fear that it may be the same as the JukiDX7  in that it seems to promise a lot, but does it perform?  It looks very much like my old Juki straight stitch, which is all metal and as solid as they come.....but? who knows?

Funny, I was looking online at that machine. Not sure until I see and feel it. Yes, my excitement has quelled since the machines all look similar. I'm also worried about the weight of some of these machines which is one reason I went for the Juki, although once I get it up to my sewing room, it ain't going nowhere! No more house moves and I certainly won't be taking it to any workshops.

SkoutSews

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2020, 15:15:44 PM »
Well, I went ahead and bought a 6700p. It was delivered just before the lockdown. I've been waiting until I'd used it for a few weeks before posting a review.
I'd been considering the Juki DX5 or 7, the Ateliers (probably the 6) or the 6700p. The nearest Juki stockist is a good 90 minutes drive from me, so I tried the Atelier and the 6700p nearer to home. This was just a information gathering trip, you understand  ;)
I felt entirely comfortable sewing with the 6700p. To my surprise, I couldn't get on with the Atelier at all. I expected to like it, but to me, in direct comparison with the 6700p, it seemed like a big white plastic thing, with a restricted view of the needle area. People always tell you to 'try before you buy' and now I know what they mean.
I went away thinking I'd try the Juki DXs before rushing into anything. The 6700p isn't cheap and is not an impulse buy.
Long story short, I was offered a deal on the 6700p and went for it. It's big, heavy and fast - up to 1200 spm. So far so good, we've had our moments, but I'm happy with my choice.
I'd still wondered about the Juki and whether I should have waited and tried it too, which was why I was interested in your experiences, @KayK.
The 6700p doesn't have a horizontal spool pin. It has a double vertical thread stand which is fixed behind the machine. It's not perfect with modern cross-wound spools. When I was hammering through the 2 sets of scrubs, the reel was jiggling around on the stand.
I'm still finding my way round the machine and will post a proper review later, but would be happy to try and answer any questions in the meantime.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 15:55:55 PM by SkoutSews »

KayK

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2020, 15:08:31 PM »
The saga continues.  The machine was collected last Thursday, to be delivered to the shop on Friday 'for inspection'.  I had hoped to hear something.  Heard nothing Friday or Saturday, so emailed Monday late afternoon, asking if it had arrived safely and been inspected yet.  Got a reply Tuesday to say the courier had tried to deliver it Friday, and Monday, but had arrived too early to be accepted.  They hoped it would be delivered Tuesday.  No emails or calls to me Tuesday, they dont work Wednesday - so the best I can hope for is tomorrow.  I know there are bigger things to worry about, but this has been hanging around since March 8th -  I have paid out a lot of money for nowt!

So, generally I'm feeling that I am living two sorts of Groundhog days!

Gernella

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2020, 10:19:27 AM »
That is the nightmare of you being able to do nothing at all @KayK .  I should just focus on the new Bernina, just had a look, very nice.  I only use my little Bernina (215) in the summer downstairs, not much on it really as far as extras in what it can do, but it is a joy to use.  I could get quite envious really the 350 looks very tasty. Forget about Groundhog and start planning/cutting out, what you are going to do.  If the  dog work is done you can start straight away.

Pictures please, I do like to ogle.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Celia

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2020, 15:21:38 PM »
 @Gernella    It’s me that has a 350 I thinK @KayK  said she has ordered a 475 which I am very jealous of :P

I know how you feel with the waiting, it is not important when you think of the other things happening but that doesn’t help when you are sat at home wondering what’s happened.  Hope you soon get it sorted.

crfrench

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2020, 09:21:41 AM »
Well, I have a Juki TL98P, and I had some idea about buying a computerized machine for stretch and zz last year. I have bought the 6700P Janome, they say it is wonderful. Never again. Fragile, not obeying. I keep on with my all-metal machine and my old mechanical Bernina, and they do the job without complaining !