The Sewing Place

Big disappointment

KayK

Big disappointment
« on: March 31, 2020, 20:06:04 PM »
 In my (usual) quest for the perfect sewing machine - or should I say - one that I really like - I have made an utter blunder!  I am part of the way through a potentially 4 year course of creative stitching, and this takes up a lot of my time machining my way through different techniques.  My main go-to machine had its niggly quirks, enough to drive me nuts, so I had a chat with DH, who would 'loan' me some money to buy a 'good' one.  However I couldn't quite come up with the funds to buy what i really wanted (a 7 series Bernina - the basic one - if you could call it that!) So, already owning (a second hand) Juki TL98P, a heavyweight straight stitch only machine, I thought I would go for another Juki, the DX7 , which seemed to fulfil all my requirements (thread cutter, single needle stitch plate adjuster, foot 'hover',  tie off stitch etc)

It took a while to arrive - a problem with the Juki suppliers telling the retailers they were not allowed to send the machines out  (mail order) without the purchaser seeing them first.  Ten days later it arrived and disappointment was rife on immediately opening the box.  Plastic fantastic is an apt description.  Not particularly heavy, the feet were cheap and flimsy.  The vertical spool pin won't take anything larger than a standard Guterman reel as it bends with the weight and the thread won't reel off.  The bobbin will only wind the thread in a barrel shape, and stops about half full.  The auto needle threader has a spring which you wouldnt put in a ball point pen, and the plastic cogs which operate it dont quite meet.  I started to stitch and the thread caught in the tension and shredded every time, despite trying various threads.  Funnily enough it worked with Moon thread.  I then decided to try some free motion stitching, which really is my 'thing' and it was not good!  The feed dog drop can only be accessed by sliding the accessory tray off to leave a free arm, and is very flimsy as well.  I couldn't get the tension right, no matter how I tried, (despite having a good look at the tension arrangement'  The foot was nearly all plastic, and creaked loudly when in use, I thought it was going to snap!

The comparison with the other Juki? None whatsoever,  It wasn't a cheap machine by any stretch, I was so disappointed.  I have arranged with the retailer to exchange it when we can all get out and about.  I purchased a little Brother Innovis 15 to take to classes, and it is far, far better for about one eighth of the price!  I really expected this to be the last machine I ever purchased, and one of the first 'new from the box' ones (all my others have been second/third hand).

Oh well, enough moaning!  I think I really need a sturdy machine like my Juki TL that does zig zag as well!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Efemera

Re: Big disappointment
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 20:14:32 PM »
Why not try a vintage Zig Zag attachment on your Juki TLP98 ...I have the same machine.If you have the Juki and a smaller portable machine what are you looking for in a new machine that you haven’t already got?

Gittje

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 09:53:29 AM »
I can understand it must be a great disappointment for you!

I always had mixed feelings about the allround computerised Juki sewing machines. They feel cheap and some people report the Juki customer service is not that good either.

Our dealer sells Juki but for sewing machines he much more prefers Janome and Brother, except for the overlockers.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »
I'm so so sorry that that has happened to you Darling and you MUST get the retailer to take it back and give you a FULL refund/exchange !!! Stern headmistressly look over glasses

Get them to confirm in writing or by email ... which you will then PRINT off!!

Are they a small company ie are they likely to go under in all this meshugganeh goings on??
If so I would get to the PO or get a courier to return the machine with a signed for service so they cant deny receiving it and get a FULL refund by cheque or bank transfer.

I dont know what your budget was and what you wanted but what you received sounds like an almighty big bit of dog poo!

Really feel for you, you just dont need that in these times.

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 11:07:56 AM »
What a disappointment! Juki have a good name and trade on their industrial links, so you wouldn't expect a plasticky machine from them. Thank goodness you can return it.

It's one of the machines I was considering, so thank you for the info.

Just seen Imi's post - good advice!

Sewbusy

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 13:09:07 PM »
"I would get to the PO or get a courier to return the machine with a signed for service so they cant deny receiving it and get a FULL refund by cheque or bank transfer."

Some courier services will collect from you which precludes the need to go out. Thats what I meant !!! :)  Imi xxx

I have used these services for a few years due to physical limitations with limitations with lifting and carrying. There can be a slightly increased charge for this but the benefits outweigh any cost.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 13:31:00 PM by Iminei »

Celia

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 14:27:29 PM »
Just in case the worse happens and the company do go bust did you pay by credit card if so remember you are covered so it’s really a good idea to get it back to them, as long as there is someone at the address to receive the machine.

Sad to hear about the machine, they definitely seem to produce variable quality machines.

KayK

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 14:36:17 PM »
Hello all!

The company are a real 'bricks and mortar shop' and they have been extremely helpful, and I have emails to state that they will exchange it, with no problems.  I would have it couriered back, but there is no one at the shop to receive it. When all this virus business is over I think I will personally take it back (even though it is a 2 hour drive) and have a good look at their (vast) collection of other machines!

What a disappointment! Juki have a good name and trade on their industrial links, so you wouldn't expect a plasticky machine from them. Thank goodness you can return it.

It's one of the machines I was considering, so thank you for the info.

Just seen Imi's post - good advice!

Please don't even consider it!

I'm annoyed with myself for thinking it would be the be all and end all of sewing machines, and was looking forward to completing an assessment piece on it!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Puzzler

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 14:49:46 PM »
Even though I can understand your dissatisfaction I am happy with my own DX7. Yes,  there is a lot of plastic and I would have preferred metal presser feet. The needle threader, that’s a novelty for me. I have nothing to compare it to and I can always thread the machine manually. The DX7 does get very good reviews despite all this as does the F600 which it superseded.  I still have an old mechanical Bernina. My electronic Bernina that was broken and traded in weighed a ton. It did me proud since 1987 but I simply couldn’t justify the price of a newer equivalent. In truth I haven’t used the Juki much so I can’t tell you how I will feel in a years time. At the moment, no buyer’s remorse.

Clareew

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2020, 22:36:22 PM »
Such a pity you didn't like the Juki DX7, I have one and have the industrial thread holder that clips onto the back.  I do have a Bernina 550 which I prefer to use for free mtion embroidery etc and do prefer it for art work.

I hope you manage to get a machine which you love.

KayK

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »
Such a pity you didn't like the Juki DX7, I have one and have the industrial thread holder that clips onto the back.  I do have a Bernina 550 which I prefer to use for free mtion embroidery etc and do prefer it for art work.

I hope you manage to get a machine which you love.

I sold the Bernina 550 to help buy the Juki, and really wished I hadn't!  I had read really good reports of the Juki, which pointed me towards it, but I am guessing I have bought a lemon!  Unfortunately the things that dont work properly were exacerbated by the things I didnt like!

Oh I am such a pain!  In fact, I think I have seen a machine that would suit me down to the ground - an industrial Bernina with a range of stitches, about an hour's drive from here......its oldish - but looks good - however with the 'lockdown' it's a  no go at the mo!

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 13:14:54 PM »
That is awful, you get all excited done your research and then your are disappointed.  It's a bit like a kick in the stomach when you know you've boobed (not being nasty with that, that's how I feel when something like that happens).

But move on, don't get despondent @KayK.  A good vent is good for you.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

KayK

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 16:31:25 PM »
That is awful, you get all excited done your research and then your are disappointed.  It's a bit like a kick in the stomach when you know you've boobed (not being nasty with that, that's how I feel when something like that happens).

But move on, don't get despondent @KayK.  A good vent is good for you.

I know what you mean about boobed!  I am so annoyed with myself.  I could weep when I think of all the lovely Bernina feet that I sold with the machine - so well made and solid.  Even the walking foot was a work of art!  I think part of my frustration is knowing that this cant be resolved quickly (I know there are far bigger problems in the country at the moment).  It's also knowing that I have an assessment piece to make for the course, and what I had planned to do, I now can't!

KayK

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 13:11:57 PM »
Some news! 

The rogue machine is being collected by a courier tomorrow for return!  They are a bit sniffy that I no longer have the original packaging (DH jumped the gun and got shot of it) but I have another sewing machine box and lots of bubble wrap - however they want to me to send photos of my packaging as it progresses.  This is worrying me a bit I have to say!  I will have to wait for them to 'inspect' it before they will send out a machine of my choice.  I have gone for a similarly priced Bernina but goodness knows when it will it arrive.

As mentioned before, there are a lot worse things to bother about, but I am pleased that some progress is being made!

Puzzler

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 14:07:20 PM »
Well if it's any consolation, @KayK, I have been putting my Juki through its paces and I have found that I may have made a mistake as well. I will wait til after the lockdown to trade in for something else. I won't be returning it unused though. I did try it out in the shop but it's not until you really get down to some heavy duty sewing that you really see how the machine performs. No idea what I will get instead.