The Sewing Place

Aprils BOM - A Gaggle of Geese

wrenkins

Re: Aprils BOM
« Reply #120 on: June 05, 2020, 22:02:23 PM »
You can't beat a good bilious green. Keep going...you're nearly up to date!  0_0
  • bec likes this
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2020, 08:08:19 AM »
Congratulations for sticking with it tho' ... What was the problem ???

BTW ...
If any of you have a problem with the destructions, PLEASE let me know and I'll see if I can explain it another way.
  • bec likes this
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

bec

« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2020, 09:50:37 AM »
No issues with the instructions, just newbie problems I think.

My woes were:
- When I was sewing the squares to the rectangles to make the geese, especially the second square, even with the piece of leader fabric as soon as the needle touched my square/rectangle construction the machine started to eat it instead of sewing a line. After a lot of wrestling with this and visiting my machine booklet I upped the stitch length which seemed to help a bit
- When I sewed down the diagonal line on the squares and tried to press them outward they were always about 2-3mm shy of the rectangle edge. I tried a couple sewing 2-3mm on the outside of the line but then the points of the geese were blunt
- The triangles of rectangle fabric still visible got wavy and stretched along the  long edge but I'm not sure when that happened or what I did to them
- It didn't occur to me to think about which way I was pressing seams to get them to nest nicely in rows so sewing them together was a very lumpy difficult experience (also the name of my autobiography as it happens  :D). I looked for a setting in the machine book to have the foot not press down as firmly but didn't find one

Thanks for including a picture of your quarter inch foot by the way as I had been using the wrong one. I'd just seen the presser foot attached and thought, yep that looks like what she's using on the midnight quilt show when she talks about quarter inch seams.

wrenkins

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2020, 09:54:26 AM »
That's one of the best posts I've seen in a long while.  0_0  0_0  0_0

You are so very welcome to the darkside where I can see you will fit in seamlessly.  :thumbsup:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sandra

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2020, 13:36:40 PM »
Did this one this morning. Very simple...outlining a star in the middle...

Couldn't seem to see anything else I fancied doing with this one. I really like this block and didn't want to obscure it by getting too carried away.

Sandra.
xxx

supergran

« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2020, 21:44:45 PM »
here's my quilted effort. Nothing special, just wavy lines
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Bjay

« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2020, 16:04:49 PM »
I've gone fussy spirals (I think)
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Bjay

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2020, 11:03:46 AM »
I have been asked - by a total non- sewer, nevermind Darksider how I managed to get the circles.
I think she thought it was a darkside secret -I just drew round  a plate!
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Pearl

« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2020, 15:23:39 PM »
This one took a while.

Bella tip - if you want to do parallel line quilting, don't do it by hand.   :sew: is your friend.

Lilian

« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2020, 19:51:01 PM »
I like that @Pearl The quilting reinforces the arrow direction, very clever  :)
Willing but not always able :)