The Sewing Place

Husqvarna Mega Quilter

Acorn

Re: Husqvarna Mega Quilter
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2020, 17:15:23 PM »
It seems to be the standard price for it from the main sellers.  I couldn't find the one you mention @Gernella although there is one being sold for £28.88 + £1.49 delivery - however, it's not a Janome made one, has only one lot of feedback and wouldn't arrive until late August!

I have bitten the bullet and ordered from Frank Knutt - £59, but free delivery, and he had bobbins too. 
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2020, 17:27:38 PM »
I've just tried to use the free motion foot on my Megaquilter for the first time - this is the darning type foot, not the walking foot.

I put the cover on the feed dogs and changed the foot, but the machine wouldn't run, and the red and green lights above the needle up/down button were flashing alternately.

The machine is fine - I changed to the standard foot and it sewed beautifully, so it doesn't seem to be the threading or the bobbin.

Can anyone help? 

Gernella

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2020, 18:09:23 PM »
Sorry @Acorn other than having the walking foot on a couple of times and the teflon foot I've never used the free motion sewing foot.

What do you mean by putting the cover on the feed dogs?
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Acorn

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2020, 18:15:44 PM »
When you want to free motion on the megaquilter you put a plate over the feed dogs rather than lowering them (because they don't lower!)

Wouldn't you expect the manual to tell you what a red warning light means!!?!  It doesn't.

Celia

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2020, 18:16:30 PM »
Is this the foot that comes with the machine, if so as far as I remember you have to take off the normal stitch plate and replace it with a different one not Just cover it but you might of course have a different foot I know they do make more than one to fit.  You could try to see if the machine will run with just the foot on without changing the needle plate and reduce the stitch length to zero.

Acorn

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2020, 18:26:00 PM »
Interestingly, the manual that I found online (which appears to be identical to mine) says that the normal stitch plate should be taken off and replaced with the darning one, but my manual says to put it on top, matching the pins into the holes, and clearly it wouldn't be possible to fix the darning plate in on mine as it doesn't have screw holes, and isn't the same shape as the normal one.

I did find a mention in the manual of the lights - 'When the needle is down the red indicator above the button will light up.  When the needle is up the green indicator will light up.'  The two lights are alternating very quickly on mine.

However, I didn't set the stitch length to zero (the manual doesn't tell me to, but I should have known anyway).  I will try that shortly.

Celia

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2020, 18:31:38 PM »
I think there must be two versions of this foot, I thought I had seen one with a cover to.  When you try the stitch length to zero don’t put the cover on and just see how it works.  If you want to watch this https://youtu.be/QQqbuMbbf5A the machine is nearly the same as yours and you will find she just reduces the stitch length.  Hope this helps

Acorn

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2020, 19:08:00 PM »
Hah!  Typical.  It's absolutely fine now.  Any stitch length, cover plate on or off.  As the only things that I've changed are the foot and the cover plate, presumably one of them wasn't sitting quite correctly.

Thanks @Celia!

Celia

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2020, 20:22:38 PM »
No problem they are one of my favourite machines