The Sewing Place

Husqvarna Mega Quilter

Acorn

Husqvarna Mega Quilter
« on: April 02, 2020, 15:13:45 PM »
I'm considering buying a used Husqvarna Mega Quilter, specifically for quilting (!)  The harp space is 9" by 6", compared to my usual machine's 8" by 4.5".  I'm not sure whether this makes a big enough difference in terms of squashing a large quilt into it.  The relative areas are 36 sq in and 54 sq in, which does sound like quite a big difference.

Does anyone have any experience of one of these, and do you think that is enough space to justify getting a machine that would really only have the one function for me?  I gather that it is a heavy duty machine, does only a straight stitch, forward and reverse, and comes with a free motion foot and an extension table.

Any opinions or advice welcome!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

Re: Husqvarna Mega Quilter
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 15:26:41 PM »
My Juki TL89P which is a straight stitch only is 8.5x.6.5 inches and I’ve got quite a few big quilts through that.

Celia

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 18:02:09 PM »
Yes I have used this machine and actually still have an updated model different brand same manufacturer. 
They are very good strong machines, I have sewn everything from lace to leather on it but I am mainly a dressmaker so the size of the harp is not that important to me.

Ploshkin

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 22:08:39 PM »
My Pfaff has a 10" x 5"  harp space and ive stuffed a 60" quilt through that without too much difficulty.
Life's too short for ironing.

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 22:19:46 PM »
I'm sleeping on it until the morning, but I think I'm probably going to go for it.

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 09:47:26 AM »
I've got a Husqvarna Mega Quilter @Acorn and can confirm that it is as tough as old boots.  The only quilting done has been for a jacket I made and a quilted bag.   Made a good job for my first attempt in that area, especially when I ran out of the sticky tape and used a ruler.   So, I can't really comment whether the harp is big enough as they were both small projects. 

I'm actually going to move it onto another table next week so I'm going to give it a good oil.  I also like the fact that it moves from heavy to lightweight fabric with no fuss and barely any messing with the tension.  Yes it only has one function but it does do it well and never gets sniffy when they others turn their nose up at something.  If it had a few more needle positions it would probably get used a lot more.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Acorn

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 09:55:19 AM »
Thanks @Gernella - I've never really got the hang of using different needle positions, so that's not likely to bother me (unless I learn!)

I think I'm going to go for it.   :)

Celia

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 10:48:46 AM »
Go on I will encourage you I know 3 professional dressmakers who use them,  one of the machines is over 10 years old and is used every day and still going strong

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2020, 16:23:15 PM »
It will be arriving on April 15th or 16th.   0_0  (I won the Ebay auction in the early hours of this morning - I tried the 'make an offer' doofry, but all three were rejected instantly, and I got it for quite a bit less than my highest offer in the end anyway!)

It's coming by ParcelForce - I just hope they're going to take care of it.   ><

Acorn

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 15:52:07 PM »
Well, it arrived safely this morning, right on schedule, beautifully packed (in its original packaging, including the expanded polystyrene.  It is really lovely.  Good as new I would say, except all the bobbins have a good amount of thread already wound onto them!

It has the weirdest threading process I've ever seen in a normal sewing machine, but I will just have to keep the manual alongside it until it's instinctive.  It is quiet and solid and produces a lovely stitch with very little fuss.  Using it has a similar feel to using my Featherweight.

I am very pleased with it.  My only complaint is that it smells very strongly of fabric softener!  There are definitely worse smells though.

:D  8)  :sew:

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 19:06:05 PM »
Fabric Softener ????? -<
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

coffeeandcake

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 19:43:11 PM »
Could that be the smell of baby wipes to clean it before it was sold? Hope you enjoy your machine; it sounds like a really good one to have :)

Acorn

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 19:46:04 PM »
Definitely fabric softener - the sort that has a 'lasting fragrance' and makes me change queues in the supermarket!  It's one everything, including the manual.  If you use it on all your wash it pervades your whole house.

I suppose it could conceivably be Febreeze, which I find has a strong lingering smell of its own, even if it does get rid of other smells.

Lowena

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 20:12:30 PM »
I love the aroma of fabric softener and use gallons of the stuff :D
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 09:48:10 AM »

I am very pleased with it.  My only complaint is that it smells very strongly of fabric softener!  There are definitely worse smells though.

:D  8)  :sew:

Definitely, mine stank of cigarette smoke, and I mean stank.  The only thing that didn't was the cover, it was still in its packet, never used.

Yes it is funny to thread, more like my first sewing machine and threading the needle from the side, that was a first.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included