The Sewing Place

Hello from a new wanna be expert sewer

Meow

Hello from a new wanna be expert sewer
« on: April 02, 2020, 20:07:55 PM »
Hello – I wanted to introduce myself as an inexperienced sewer. I have got a new sewing machine with the intention to save a fortune by sewing my own curtains. My first project has been a dress from a pattern. I have to say it’s wearable but with a few tricks from the forums, I’m sure I will learn loads. I’m really excited about being amongst a community of sewers. I am looking to learn techniques and be motivated by everyone’s projects.

UttaRetch

Re: Hello from a new wanna be expert sewer
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 20:10:00 PM »
Welcome.  Between us, we have hundreds' of years of experience in all areas of sewing.  Ask away and someone will come to your aid.

Lilian

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 21:09:54 PM »
Hello and welcome @Meow  :drink:
Willing but not always able :)

Greybird

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 21:12:43 PM »
Hello and welcome!

Sewingsue

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 21:14:03 PM »
Welcome, Meow.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Lachica

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 21:20:36 PM »
Welcome @Meow. Curtains are easier than dresses as most windows don't have curves. They do have right angles though, and can be very heavy depending on size, fabric choice, lining etc. Strongly suggest plain fabric (to avoid tricky pattern matching). Do post photos and ask on here if you need to, we don't bite.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 21:24:05 PM »
Welcome from me too @Meow  :D

Lalu

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 21:36:34 PM »
Welcome @Meow, I'm new here as well  :D

Kenora

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 22:52:22 PM »
A warm welcome from me too. Looking forward to seeing what you make. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 08:10:12 AM »
Hello @Meow

Great name! Welcome to TSP.

I’m an experienced beginner (!) in that I’ve been sewing for a little while but still making silly mistakes and learning lots along the way.

Looking forward to seeing your makes.

Kitten

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2020, 14:48:39 PM »
Hi @Meow
Finally you've introduced yourself.  Glad you made it here.

Kitten

fajita

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 18:28:43 PM »
Welcome @Meow  :flower: :drink:

William

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2020, 13:28:22 PM »
Hello-

I think it may be said this way:

A young man is hurredly walking in NYC with a violin case in hand. He stops an older man and asks

"How can i get to Carnegie Hall?" The old man replies "Practice, practice, practice..."

After a few years of sewing, i am beginning to feel confident about sewing a straight line!  :thumbsup:
Good luck and enjoy!

William David
...it was a Hobbit hole, and that meant comfort.

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2020, 13:44:43 PM »
Sewing in a straight line is not nearly so difficult as making the needle go around a corner.  :laughing:

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2020, 15:18:58 PM »
I remember making my first pair of curtains when we'd just moved into our new home @Meow, since I'd never done them before I had to copy from the ones I had bought.  They are are currently used to cover the floor for decorating, which makes them 44 years old, and they still look  strong and 'healthy'  (not thin and worn).  Only took them down because I was fed up of the colour and pattern.

I was a  wanna be expert then, still  am on somethings, but it's a whole new world now with the internet, there's a video for everything.

Apart from shortening, I never  made another pair of curtains, but lots of clothes. ;) 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included