The Sewing Place

Taking in jeans jegs

JudyN

Taking in jeans jegs
« on: April 03, 2020, 10:17:03 AM »
I have some boyfriend jeans that are comfy on the waist, but I'd like to narrow the legs. Is it best to take in the inseam, the outside seam, or a bit of both depending on how they seem to line up with a pair of jeans with a fit I like? I've seen all three approaches suggested online.

Missie

Re: Taking in jeans jegs
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 10:18:52 AM »
I'm all for an easy life and as the inside leg seam is just a single seam, I personally would go for that.

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 11:55:13 AM »
I would also go for the inside seam unless you are taking off a significant amount in which case you would probably need to take some out of both sides.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 12:20:22 PM »
I’d do both sides or they might not hang right. 

JudyN

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 12:42:01 PM »
Thanks all :D I like the idea of just doing the inseam as any dodgy stitching will be less on show. I'm guessing success will depend on making sure they hang right before cutting.

Possibly I'll want to reduce the width across the hips too to make the styling look right, which I guess will mean I'll have to work on the side seam. They're in the wash at the moment in case they shrink, so nothing will be happening imminently.

badgermat

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2020, 02:38:57 AM »

The last pair of trews I altered (chinos though, not jeans), I took in the inseam only for simplicity, and they hang fine even with might lighter fabric than jeans.

If you're feeling brave, you can fix the hip width by taking in the seam down the centre of the seat. Probably not the approved method, but even though it was a bit of a fiddle around the crotch (oo-err mrs), it seems to have worked okay.

These were all single seams, by the way.

bm

JudyN

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2020, 07:43:22 AM »
Thanks Badgermat :-) I only realised today that my topic title says 'jeans jegs' and not 'jeans legs'!

I tried taking in the outside seam but they didn't hang right, because they were now tighter on the leg but still baggy on the hips. I have reduced the height of the yoke at the back as the rise is too long, and that seems to have gone OK - will try them on again and have another think later (luckily I haven't cut anything off yet.

If all else fails I might unpick them completely, find myself a jeans pattern (I have one for skinny jeans but this denim has no stretch) and start completely from scratch.