The Sewing Place

Top stitching thread for denim.

Ellabella

Top stitching thread for denim.
« on: April 04, 2020, 15:01:38 PM »
I’m about to cut out a denim pinafore dress and want to top stitch it in gold/yellow.

There is no thread in the stash that is suitable and as I am self isolating it will have to be bought over t’interweb.

Has anybody got any that they could check the number of.  I usually use Gutermann thread but anything I can get on line would be fine.

Acorn

Re: Top stitching thread for denim.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 15:09:46 PM »
Guterman do thread that is specifically for topstitching denim, and there is a gold colour (possibly two) in the range.  The reels only contain 30m of thread, be warned!

I have used the orange from the same range and was very pleased with it - it looked just like the topstitching on bought jeans.

Sew Essential have the range.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

So Chic

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 15:24:27 PM »
Have you tried using two threads and a larger needle as this can give a good effect.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Sandra

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 15:42:20 PM »
Gutermann number 968 is a good gold colour which I use when I shorten jeans, but I always use the upholstery thread rather than the thicker topstitching thread.

I don't think I'm alone in saying that I can't get a nice stitch with the topstitch thread...seem to remember a post on the old forum with lots of others saying the same.

Sandra.
xxx

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 16:44:19 PM »
I seem to recall having problems with topstitch thread shredding even with a topstitch needle.  I've had best results using double ordinary thread.
Life's too short for ironing.

coffeeandcake

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 17:10:09 PM »
Just checked the topstitch thread I use for denim. It's the same number as Sandra's.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 18:30:08 PM »
@Ellabella Does your machine have a top stitch stich, may be called a Stretch triple straight stitch depending on your machine? if it does then I find that normal sewing thread works better than the top stitch thread. I am in the middle of embroidering a denim dress that I have topstitched using this stich I will take a photo and add it shortly so you can see the stitch.

Amended: photo now attached.
The yellow denim thread is number 106
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 19:01:08 PM by sewmuchmore »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 19:25:26 PM »
That’s lovely @sewmuchmore , I’ll go and play with that tonight.

Ellabella

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 10:25:24 AM »
I’ve just ordered 968 in both the upholstery weight and a 250m reel of Sew-all.

I know people use two threads at once but don’t think I’ll have much chance of threading a needle with two threads but will have a go.

Sewmuchmore’s stitch looks good when I gave it a try, now all I’ve got to do is cut the damn thing out.  0_0

dolcevita

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 10:38:25 AM »
I'm not wild about topstitching thread. As @Acorn says, you only get 30m on a reel and if you use it for the bobbin, too, the bobbin needs very frequent refilling.  The main reason I dislike it is because I've never managed to get a decent stitch underneath as well as on top and having the topstitch thread for both top and bottom is horrible to sew with. I could never get the two sides to balance and the same applied with the topstitch thread only used on top.

Elnnina

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 10:55:23 AM »
I once did a lot of topstitching using Gutermann's then topstitch thread or Gutermann's silk thread that was designed for buttonholes.  However back in those far off days I only had a straight stitch machine and I think that makes a difference.

So if you are going to be doing a lot of topstitching in the future it may be well worth buying a straight stitch foot and plate specifically for your current machine unless you have an old straight stitch machine lurking in a cupboard.

I believe the reason most people cannot get a decent topstitch thread is because our machines are built so they can stitch at different widths, some people make an effort to narrow the needle hole on the needleplate by using cellotape.

I must admit I have lost count of the number of dresses, trouser suits that I made that had topstitching on, and they were all perfectly even and the lines so very straight, however I did have a line of contrast tacking thread that I stitched over and then had the job of trying to pull out the trapped tacking threads but it worked.

Helen M

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 11:21:40 AM »
I use the upholstery one as well, but nearly always use a matching navy thread (sew all type) in the bobbin otherwise it loops underneath.

There is a more bronze shade as well as the 'orangey' gold one which I like. I had jeans that had that colourway and liked the effect.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Ellabella

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2020, 19:05:32 PM »
Thanks for that @Elnnina, I have a straight stitch plate for my machine but wouldn’t have thought to use it.

I was going to cut it out today but the sunshine was too good to miss.

Elnnina

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 21:00:24 PM »
Ellabella may I add a useful tip if and when changing the needleplate to a straight stitch one, and that is to use a Post It Note and stick this on your machine in front of you and say that the straight stitch plate is on the machine - thus this will save a nasty crunch and damage to your machine should you forget that you have changed the plates over, and this could be a very costly error.

Ellabella

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2020, 21:10:29 PM »
Thanks @Elnnina , fortunately for me my machine is very clever and only lets me do straight stitches when the straight stitch plate is on.  Mind you I have cursed it before when I tried to stitch a buttonhole and it refused because the wrong stitch plate was on.