The Sewing Place

My Wedding Dress

sewingj

Re: My Wedding Dress
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2020, 18:47:11 PM »
@charlotte   stunning ring.  Did he choose it on his own?  If he did he`s definitely a keeper

charlotte

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2020, 18:59:05 PM »
@charlotte   stunning ring.  Did he choose it on his own?  If he did he`s definitely a keeper

He did! I had dropped some clues about liking Art Deco style jewellery and coloured stones but that was all he had to work with so I think he did very well indeed. :D

Lachica

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2020, 19:34:28 PM »
Lovely ring. I think you could hang on to him.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Nevis5

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2020, 19:42:52 PM »
Oh @charlotte  , many congratulations  :toast:  what lovely news.  The dress is going to be so beautiful!  Good luck!! xx

Missie

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2020, 22:32:58 PM »
Congratulations @charlotte  and that is a beautiful ring.  I love art deco rings and that is a beaut.  Looking forward to seeing your dress come to fruition.

SkoutSews

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2020, 22:38:50 PM »
Beautiful ring!

Manuela

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 02:29:03 AM »
Huge congratulations @charlotte, very much looking forward to your wedding dress making journey

Sewingsue

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 07:27:23 AM »
Congratulations @charlotte  :toast:
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 10:16:33 AM »
Congratulations @charlotte  :)  Your ring looks sensational  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Silver Rose

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »
Many congratulations @charlotte , lovely dress and  beautiful ring.
Still learning

Surest1tch

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2020, 21:25:47 PM »
Congratulations @charlotte, what a beautiful ring, your man has great taste.

charlotte

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2020, 14:59:32 PM »
Right, I've made a start!

I am beginning from the inside out and have made a corselette toile. Two, actually, because the first one needed so many adjustments.

Features include:
- cut and sew foam cups
- underwires
- spiral steel boning
- offset back hook and eye fastenings
- an elastic combination-bust-and-waist stay (will also be offset on the actual dress)

And most importantly, I wore it all day yesterday whilst going about my day (working at my laptop, catching the mouse the cat brought in, a dance workout, cleaning the kitchen, cooking and eating) and it was surprisingly extremely comfortable!!

Starting on the bodice toile tonight, so will hopefully have some slightly less architectural pictures to share soon!

Missie

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 10:38:40 AM »
Hi Charlotte, that's a good start you've made there.  Just thought I would make some suggestions for you.  I don't know if your dummy is made for you or is just a standard (I'm thinking made for you as it is a pretty cover), but please ensure that there is no excess fabric when you have the bodice on.  Boned bodices have to be absolutely snug to support the weight of the dress, so ensure that any wrinkles are pinched out and any excess fabric removed.

Another thing to consider is to have a laced panel under the zip area.  Zips are often not strong enough to take the strain of a boned bodice on their own.  I insert a laced panel, attached the side back seams, which when laced up properly has an inch gap between both lacing panels.  It is this that takes the strain and the zip therefore merely closes the dress. If, god forbids, the zip does fail, the dress will stay in place!

charlotte

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 16:43:28 PM »
Thanks @Missie for the suggestions - I definitely need all the help I can get!

Yes, I think I do need to take out a tiny bit more fabric (my dressform is a bit smaller than me, so not as much as it looks like).

I am aiming for a perfect fit at the top edge (so as to avoid squashy armpit fat) and then a tiny amount of negative ease everywhere else. The actual bodice which goes over it will have minimal positive ease. Does that sound right?

I was going to have the corselette do up with hooks and eyes, slightly offset from the centre back, and then the dress zip up separately over that. Perhaps a laced panel would be better than hooks and eyes though, and it might be easier to achieve the perfect amount of negative ease.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 21:50:55 PM »
I've only just seen your ring - I think that is the nicest ring I have ever, ever seen!!!