The Sewing Place

My Wedding Dress

Lachica

Re: My Wedding Dress
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2021, 18:41:29 PM »
Fabulous work @charlotte.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

nototie

« Reply #91 on: January 25, 2021, 19:51:06 PM »
That looks lovely @charlotte!

charlotte

« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2021, 14:29:18 PM »
My buttons arrived!  0_0

I sent my fabric off and had them covered so they will match exactly.

SkoutSews

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2021, 16:29:54 PM »
They look great! What a brilliant idea to get someone else to deal with the fiddly job of covering buttons.

nototie

« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2021, 20:51:53 PM »
Those look very nice @charlotte! That color is quite pretty.

charlotte

« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2021, 10:24:32 AM »
I fitted my over-bodice! Self fitting a button back bodice is generally not recommended, but the main challenge was due to my scoliosis (twisted spine). The calico toile was fine, but the softer tulle needed a lot of encouragement not to follow my backbone!

The alterations were actually fairly minimal - a slight adjustment to the shoulder slope (different on each side!) and cutting the back armholes a little bigger to give a bit more ease.

Before and after pictures:

The 'before' shot is exaggerated by the fact that the stabiliser is still in place, and I used a back zip for my first fitting, but it is still a dramatic difference for such minimal changes.

Once I have the lace motifs in place I'm hoping my deformed back won't be quite as obvious! First I need to stitch the (currently hand-tacked) seams, remove the last of the stabiliser, and sew the buttons in place.

b15erk

« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2021, 10:27:56 AM »
It's looking beautiful @charlotte !

Well done for fitting it yourself!  :thumbsup:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Elnnina

« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2021, 11:36:51 AM »
Your are a brave and clever lass Charlotte, it is looking good - now continue to enjoy the making of this beautiful dress.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2021, 11:40:42 AM »
Fabulous!   Not easy to fit yourself normally but scoliosis makes it a bit awkward.

Silver Rose

« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2021, 11:51:18 AM »
You are doing a tremendous job Charlotte, you will be a beautiful bride.
Still learning

Iminei

« Reply #100 on: February 03, 2021, 12:48:17 PM »
What a difference ... you are so clever!!!

I used to send buttons off to be covered when I made bridal waistcoats too ... Still have an off couple ... in a lovely Grey Silk Paisley  <3
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:50:12 PM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Lachica

« Reply #101 on: February 03, 2021, 14:48:31 PM »
Looking good, you're very skilled and the back looks perfect. My daughter had her dress made (in Shanghai, as they were living there at the time) and the dressmaker made a big fuss over fitting it to her twisted back. Which no one had noticed before her very thorough Chinese medical which included multiple X rays & precise measurement of the degree of scoliosis. DD was most indignant that I'd not taken her to the doc with it but I'd no idea there was anything wrong.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

charlotte

« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2021, 15:28:52 PM »
Looking good, you're very skilled and the back looks perfect. My daughter had her dress made (in Shanghai, as they were living there at the time) and the dressmaker made a big fuss over fitting it to her twisted back. Which no one had noticed before her very thorough Chinese medical which included multiple X rays & precise measurement of the degree of scoliosis. DD was most indignant that I'd not taken her to the doc with it but I'd no idea there was anything wrong.

My curvature was huge - 58o in the lower back - and it was my PE teacher who noticed it, rather than me or my mum! It was partially corrected by surgery to 24o to match the curve in the upper portion. They used one of my ribs to fuse three vertebrae together, so I can have fit issues at the front too where they took that out!

Efemera

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2021, 15:31:42 PM »
Fabulous...

SkoutSews

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2021, 18:28:07 PM »
You've been very successful there, it can't have been easy, yet the alterations have given a great result.