The Sewing Place

My Wedding Dress

charlotte

Re: My Wedding Dress
« Reply #75 on: September 01, 2020, 10:22:53 AM »
Here is my finished underbodice with my latest skirt toile.

And the back:

You can see I've tacked a zip in for general fitting but it is now on hold until I have a fitting partner.

Bunting and bridesmaids' outfits now.

SkoutSews

« Reply #76 on: September 01, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »
Looking good! I love the shape of the skirt.

BriarRose

« Reply #77 on: September 01, 2020, 15:28:29 PM »
Oh, that is going to be so pretty.
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

charlotte

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2020, 13:55:09 PM »
Right I'm really fed up now!

My friend was supposed to be coming to stay next weekend and she was going to help me fit my dress. Then Leeds went into Tier 2 and she can't anymore.

Then my mum was supposed to be coming from France at some point, so she would have been able to help but now (for various) reasons, she can't.

Now London is in Tier 2 so even if I could find someone else or settle for a non-sewing person's point of view it's not allowed.

I know there are much bigger problems in the world right now, but I would just love to get on with my dress and forget about everything else for a bit, but I can't because it's just silly to cut out the overlay and the skirt when I am not confident with the fit at the bust and waist.

:angry:

Moan over.

Efemera

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2020, 15:25:35 PM »
Bummer!....

Acorn

« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2020, 15:52:35 PM »
What a pain.   :(  And what a shame we can't do it virtually - we have all the expert assistance you could need here.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2020, 16:17:24 PM »
It’s a shame.  But even people visiting are supposed to keep their distance!

Missie

« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2020, 16:49:35 PM »
What a pain.   :(  And what a shame we can't do it virtually - we have all the expert assistance you could need here. 

Actually, we could.  I've done a fitting with a member of the previous forum/site.

charlotte

« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2020, 20:03:45 PM »
I got quite far with my mum on a video chat, but I really wanted to have someone helping in real life before I went any further.

Still 15 month until the wedding, so plenty of time but I’m just a bit fed up! Plus we haven’t sent invites yet and I’m already planning how to uninvite people if government restrictions make that necessary!!

charlotte

« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2021, 11:21:04 AM »
So I've given up on a real life fitting...  :(

I've done two more video chat fittings, with my mum and my sewing friend, so I'm going to go for it. Just two alterations:
1. it was a tiny bit snug, so I've added a tiny bit at the centre back seam (less than 1cm); and
2. the overlay waist (toile) wasn't matching up with the (finished) underbodice, so I've redrawn the lower edge there.

I've adjusted the pattern pieces for the overlay and the waistband and traced the overlay pieces onto Swedish tracing paper. I'm going to use this as a stabiliser (to be torn away) in sewing the (frankly terrifying) silk tulle for the overlay. Next step is to tack the tracing paper to the tulle and sew it together! Then I can attach it to the underbodice and get to the exciting part of piecing the lace motifs and stitching them in place.

Morgan

« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2021, 20:41:08 PM »
Charlotte, it's lovely to follow your journey with your wedding dress project. 
There's something very cheering and full of hope about looking forward to the day in 15 months time. 

charlotte

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2021, 11:11:52 AM »
Good overlay progress this weekend.

I mounted the silk tulle onto Swedish tracing paper to function as a stabiliser. I'll do most of the applique once it's attached to the underbodice, but I decided to do the necklines first to stabilise them. There is stay-stitching under the lace as well. I'm also finishing the centre back, so I've got the edging stitched on, and I've made nearly 2m of corded rouleau loops for the button loops. I've also sent my fabric off to have my buttons professionally covered.

I think I might need to do a tack-fitting before I finish the left back with the loops, as I will have to tack a zip in for self-dressing, but I still need to stitch the lace at the back neck, and stitch down the right back edging, so I'll do that first before worrying about fitting and loops.

Efemera

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2021, 12:55:22 PM »
That’s going to be fabulous...

SkoutSews

« Reply #88 on: January 25, 2021, 14:43:09 PM »
It's looking great!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2021, 16:30:46 PM »
Looking good!  I just wouldn't have the patience to do all that!