The Sewing Place

My Wedding Dress

charlotte

Re: My Wedding Dress
« Reply #150 on: June 17, 2021, 09:47:45 AM »
Thank you so much for all the lovely comments.

I put the zip in this week, which included pattern matching one of the lace motifs with the zip running through the middle.  :scream: I hand-tacked it from the right side with a whip-stitch and then the zip was hand-picked and the tacking removed. I'm really pleased with how it came out.

Below the zip, the two layers will be sewn together separately. I have sewn the underlay back seam and for the lace I will overlap the motifs and hand stitch, so there will (hopefully!) be no visible seam line.

I am also definitely leaning towards the lace on the waistband. I can use it to hide the part where the zip teeth are visible on the tight waist band (I should have overlapped the back seam at this point, rather than just tacking on the stitching line), and it would also be useful to camouflage the metal eyes for my removable train.

Acorn

« Reply #151 on: June 17, 2021, 10:33:12 AM »
That pattern matching is amazing!!

I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Elnnina

« Reply #152 on: June 17, 2021, 15:24:47 PM »
Such neat stitching in of your zip, and as for the lace matching up - well done.  Glad you are going with the lace over the waistband - I don't think you will regret this as it does make the whole dress look finished, and not a two piece.

Celia

« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2021, 10:10:19 AM »
Looks amazing

charlotte

« Reply #154 on: June 21, 2021, 12:10:14 PM »
Hello!

Made some very good progress this weekend - finished the back seam (which involved removing the beads from one side of the lace, overlapping the motifs and hand-stitching) tacked in the horsehair braid for the hem and pinned it up, stitched the waistband lace in place, sewed my skirt lining and tacked that in.

Seam, what seam?

All that's left to do now is sew the hem, fix my fit issue at the back (I think possibly some boning in the button bands and taking it up a bit at the shoulders will work), and make my train.

Which, I have decided to re-design into a cape train!

I've ordered some pink pearls off Etsy (the one in the picture is just a necklace I own!) and it will attach with hooks and eyes concealed in the lace at the shoulder, so it can be removed after the ceremony. The only decision I need to make is whether the keep the pearls on after I remove the train. I do like the look but they might be a bit uncomfortable for sitting, and potentially lethal on the dancefloor.  :laughing:

Elnnina

« Reply #155 on: June 21, 2021, 12:49:55 PM »
Oh you are making progress Charlotte, the more we see of this dress the more stunning it becomes - well done.
Don't envy you about the choice on pearls or not, will be interesting to see what you eventually decide.

b15erk

« Reply #156 on: June 21, 2021, 12:51:30 PM »
@charlotte , that is so beautiful... :loveit:

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

realale

« Reply #157 on: June 21, 2021, 13:26:15 PM »
Wow, that is just so beautiful. Well done on all the matching and hiding of seams. A true labour of love.  :loveit:
So many beers, so little time.

Lachica

« Reply #158 on: June 21, 2021, 14:44:05 PM »
That is stunning, and such beautiful, precise work. You're very talented.
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Efemera

« Reply #159 on: June 21, 2021, 15:31:30 PM »
Fabulous…

BriarRose

« Reply #160 on: June 23, 2021, 01:52:10 AM »
Thank you for sharing this process. I've enjoyed it every step of the way.  :grouphug:
It's just fabric. We can out-think it.

SkoutSews

« Reply #161 on: June 23, 2021, 11:47:20 AM »
Your dress is gorgeous!

BrendaP

« Reply #162 on: June 23, 2021, 12:06:27 PM »
It's looking amazing - a real heirloom for the future.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #163 on: June 23, 2021, 12:23:14 PM »
I'm loving seeing the progress on your fabulous dress - you must have the patience of a saint to do all that fiddly hand sewing so very well.

charlotte

« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2021, 11:22:53 AM »
More progress! The hem is done, I've added in the skirt lining, a waistband facing and a zip guard. I've ordered some boning to add to the centre back which should hopefully sort out my back fit issue, and I've cut my train.

I feel like I'm on the home straight now, but I'm about to slow down again, as the lace trim needs hand sewing to the train (currently pinned). I'm hoping it will be a bit easier than the bodice as it is pretty flat, and hopefully only needs attaching at the top edge.

I originally planned a 30cm 'chapel' train, but when I came to cut it, I decided it should be longer, and went for 55cm, which is more 'cathedral'. I immediately wished I had cut it even longer, so I had to give myself a stern talking to: "Charlotte, you are having a civil ceremony in a barn in Surrey, not a royal wedding in Westminster Abbey..."  :laughing:

I've ordered three more pairs of the lace appliques to add to the bottom of the train, which will make it easy for my bridesmaids to see the centre back when they are arranging it for me. Luckily the fabric for my mum's dress is coming from the same place, so I was able to order it together and only pay once for shipping.