The Sewing Place

Poll

Vote for the winner of the Look what I did with my Screaps contest - everybody has 4 votes

#1 BrendaP's entry
7 (3.6%)
#2 Iminei's surprise entry
21 (10.8%)
#3 LaChica's entry
5 (2.6%)
#4 Toileandtrouble's 1st entry
1 (0.5%)
#5 Flobear's entry
33 (16.9%)
#6 Ann's 1st entry
4 (2.1%)
#7 Snoozi Soozi's entry
6 (3.1%)
#8 Sonatine's entry
14 (7.2%)
#9 Efemera's 1st entry
7 (3.6%)
#10 Efemera's 2nd entry
22 (11.3%)
#11 Pearl's entry
17 (8.7%)
#12 Ann's 2nd entry
4 (2.1%)
#13 Mick's entry
13 (6.7%)
#14 Toileandtrouble's 2nd enty
3 (1.5%)
#15 Sewruthiesew's entry
33 (16.9%)
#16 EliseP's entry
5 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Voting closed: May 15, 2020, 05:47:45 AM

Look What I Did With My Scraps contest - 01.04. - 30.04.2020 Voting thread

Manuela

#1 BrendaP's entry

What is it and for whom
A Happy Rainbow window hanging - to cheer up anyone who may be passing my house during this difficult time

Pattern used
None - I made it up as I went along.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc.
2 inch wide strips of fabric sewn into tubes and turned.
8 lengths of DK knitting yarn threaded into a very big blunt needle, doubled and threaded through each strip.
Laid it all out onto a board, carefully trimmed each fabric tube to required length.
Stitched strips together - a couple of small hand stitches at about 1 inch intervals.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

All the scraps I used came from my P&Q stash.  Several of them were full width of the fabric but less then 10cm long, so would have come from the bag of scraps I bought when I visited Doughty's shop last summer as I buy mostly FQs.  The green fabric is left over from the dress and hat I made for my gt granddaughter Myah (selfless sewing competition) but in turn that was left over from a length which I used a bit of for the collar and cuffs on a dress which I made for myself 3 or 4 years ago, and the bright blue came from @Sakar in Austria.  When we made a quilt for Cheesecake 's new baby along with her star block Sakar sent me a couple of small pieces of fabric towards the small stars and I still had that piece.  The white knitting yarn is left over from a baby blanket I made for Myah.

#2 Iminei’s Surprise Entry

What is it and for whom ...

It will form the centre block of a mystery quilt I have been making during the lockdown ... sadly I started this before the timeline for the competition, otherwise I would have entered the whole thing. The original centre block was a bit Myeh, almost as if the designer had run out of ideas, to I decided to go 'off piste; (as I often do!)

Pattern used. ..

None - I made it up as I went along.

A short description on how you made it/problems overcome/etc ...

Firstly I had to confirm that what I wanted to do in the sizes I wanted was doable so conferred with BrendaP the Colour Goddess and P&Q mathamagician ... It was so I forged ahead.

As the HST's were so weeny, 1 1/2" finished,  accuracy was key ... and with my reputation for the unreliable 1/4" seam I started larger so I could trim down ...

So I cut squares of 2 and 1/2 and a smidge to make the initial 2" (uf) HST's.

I then sewed 4 patches to 3 1/2" (uf) trimmed

However I was thrilled that the 6 1/2" blocks (uf) needed only the teensiest trim and the whole 12 1/2" block (uf) needed almost no trimming at all ... Maybe Im getting better at this Darkside malarky!

Pics!!!

Scraps which came from The Temperature Quilt, The Mystery Quilt and my general stash ...

HST's

Finished block measuring 12 1/2"

Block in position ... Just a border to add!

#3 LaChica's entry

Dolls clothes for my granddaughter.
Pattern Woman's Own from the 1960's, adapted by me as chronicled in the Doll's clothes thread.
Scraps left over from making clothes. Leggings & T shirt grey viscose jersey. Stripey tunic and red satin scraps are from @Fabric Lover. White Jersey bodice on dress has red sequin ribbon at neckline. Pink polka dot left over from a baby dress. Pink cotton scrap from a top made for myself years ago. The grey t shirt has a foil heart from a foil art kit. Dresses and tops have full length opening at the back with Velcro. Kam snaps on the tunic. This to avoid too much frustration for a three year old.

#4 Toileandtrouble's 1st entry

Cushion covers of various types and sizes. For us.
Pattern- made to measure.

I got scraps from my curtain lining.     Bits cut from the sides and about 10cm from the full width.
I am making a cover for OH's L shaped pillow, the one supplied is horrid cheap polyester.  I can get two 'sides' from one of the big pieces but there is not enough width to go round the cushion. However, that 10cm will make a gusset along the top edge.   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
When I washed the cushion covers, I found a real mess inside - 2 leaking feathers and one that got its inner cover rubbed away. The other piece and the end  of the first one will sort them all.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
Got in a real mess with the pictures, but they are there - not necessarily in the right order!  The  feathers are covered up, the wadding one is contained, even if the inner cover is in several pieces, and the pillow is declared a success, much nicer to lie on.  I put an invisible zip in the top seam, to make it easier to put on.
I'm left with two scraps about 20cm square, and the bits from the blue curtain. No idea what they can be.

#5 Flobear’s entry

It's a Scrappy Hat for gardening / camping / festivals.

The pattern is a v.v. old Butterick that I have used and adapted for many years. It has some seriously weird hats!

I used leftovers from my first-ever Darkside Venture - this Arrowhead block - plus a bit of green that I didn't use in that block and a couple of pretty bits that Imi gave me.  I had used some of them earlier for a practice mug-rug.

Although the pattern doesn't include a lining, I lined the crown and top. All hat-shaped pieces had lightweight fusible interfacing ironed on. Having practised Crumb quilting on a tea-cosy, I had to adapt the technique a bit to make the curved shape for the brim.

The brim has an extra layer of medium weight iron-on interfacing to give it more body and so the brim turns up nicely, although it could be worn turned down if you want to lurk incognito!

Here's the top view

If it looks creased, that's intentional, it's meant to be squishy. After all the pressing, I had to leave it under some books overnight!

#6 Ann's 1st entry

Masks for a cancer patient and their family and our DDIL

Pattern used
Bookmark This Moment
Canton Village Quilt Works

What scraps/leftover fabrics did you use

I made a bunch of bags and had scraps left over from them. They were put on the stash shelf hoping there would be used for some project.

The first masks were pleated and had elastic. They were too big for DDIL so I hunted for a new pattern. I found the contoured one and she loves them. The pattern was straight forward and I followed both the written instructions and video. If a child can make the contoured mask easily then I should have no problems.

The second batch I made for a family where the mom is having chemo, I did a bit more assembly line sewing. Plus I did the same fabric until done. I like how the ties are put on with the pleated mask and all went well.

#7 Snoozi Soozi's entry

I made a monster owl for my best friend, she loves the monster dolls and she's been a bit fed-up during the isolation period. I used a Jo Carter tutorial from an old Simply Sewing magazine, I made it up almost as standard, just placed the ears slightly off kilter and stitched the wings on the outside. I used left-over cottons, a couple of fat quarters from other projects and other bigger pieces.

It was good fun to make but I had to remind myself not to be so neat and precise  :) Once it was finished I set about unpicking some stitches and distressing it.

The scraps

The finished fella

#8 Sonatine's Entry

Mid 18th century linen cap and neck handkerchief using pattern and instructions from the American Duchess Guide to 18th Century Dressmaking book.

I made these from the leftover white linen from my shift. I only bought 1.5m to start with so there wasn't much scrap:
I'd already made the neck handkerchief when I took the picture but it was just cut to use the largest triangle possible (21" along both shorter sides)
The two curved pieces are from cutting out the front and back neckline on the shift - with a small amount of trimming the larger front neckline piece became the caul on the cap! I had to piece the band by cutting it twice instead of on the fold due to fabric restrcitions.

Both are completely handsewn.
The neck handkerchief just had a small rolled hem (about 1/8") on all three sides.
The book I used for the cap didn't seem to have been proofread. Firstly it said to cut the ruffle to 49.5" which meant I had to piece it in the centre. However, later instructions said it was 1.5x the length of the band which made it 30" and meant I had to lose quite a lot of work when I cut it down to size. The instructions also failed to mention that you have to calculate the seam allowance yourself and add it. 3/8" all over makes a big difference so I had to recut and sew the band but had to leave the caul as it was as there wasn't enough fabric to recut it.
It's assembled by narrow hemming every piece and insterting a drawstring at the bottom of the caul with a hand worked eyelet. Then the gathers are made by whip stitching over the edge of the pieces and pulling the thread up. Then the pieces are whipped together. Closer photos of the inside and outside to show the construction:

#9 Efemera’s 1st entry

This is my first entry.. a brooch, there’s no pattern. They are just little cylinders of fabric, stuffed and then nipped together at the ends with a few stitches. The stems would be better cut on the bias but there wasn’t enough fabric.

#10 Efemera’s 2nd entry

Fishes, self drawn pattern. Was going to embroider them but I like them plain.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

#11 Pearl’s entry

What is it - Cushion front (will become a zipped cushion when the haberdashery re-opens)

Pattern used - Small Wonders by Jen Kingwell

What scraps/leftover fabrics did you use - batik and blenders scraps left over from past P&Q projects

A short description on how you made it - 9 machine pieced blocks (3" finished), log cabin strips added to two sides, hand quilted

#12 Ann’s 2nd entry

What is it and for whom

This is a sun dress that I made for one of my Gotz dolls.

Pattern used

Garden Tea Dress by 123 Mulberry Street

The two fabrics were left over from the pillow. The stripe was the lining for the pocket and the green was the pocket. Maybe .4 meter of fabric total.

• The pattern was for an 18" American Girl doll and the Gotz doll is a slimmer doll that is 19" tall. I had to print the pattern at 95% and then I lengthened the new bodice by 1/4". The two skirts were cut to the same length as the pattern called for the 18" doll.
  • I measured three times before I cut out the tow skirts. I had enough fabric to make the outer bodice in green and the lining in stripe. I was able to squeeze out the bow on the back.
  • There was a strip of striped fabric left over that I added to the hem, cut down, serged and folded under leaving only a tiny bit showing at the hem for an element of surprise. All the exposed seams were serged.
  • Once cut out, I followed the pattern though I do hand sew the bodice lining in place rather than serging as instructed
  • I closed the back with a larger snap and sewed the bow on top of the snap.

I cheered as there are no scraps of fabric left.

#13 Mick's entry

Hope these qualify as scraps?
The denim is the legs off a pair of jeans that I made into shorts for my daughter.
The (PU) leather is the sleeves off a jacket that I made into a cut-off / waistcoat, for a junior member of the motorbike club that I'm in.
IMG_4870 by Mick, on Flickr

The pattern came from a book called The Gentleman's Wardrobe.  Which I'm currently pretty fascinated with.
I modified the pattern quite a bit, added  the leather bindings to the top, and as the sleeves had full liners in them, decided to use the material to line the uppers.
IMG_4876 by Mick, on Flickr

20200429_200234 by Mick, on Flickr
20200429_200628 by Mick, on Flickr

They are possibly the ugliest footwear ever created, but so, so comfortable... 0_0

#14 Toileandtrouble’s 2nd entry

Bedding for my friend Barbie
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Scraps are the leftovers from my previous scraps. 
The mattress is unusual proportions, there is no bed yet, but I based it on a box lid that was long enough for her to lie on, and just wide enough for the width of the sheeting scrap. It only used a small amount of the blue from the curtain. I made it more difficult by deciding to pipe the edges, very awkward with a very narrow strip for the side of mattress. I used a piping foot. It is filled with scraps of wadding from a quilt I reduced to single size.
The fitted sheet is gathered with a length of lingerie elastic - could have been pulled tighter, but it works.
the Pillowcases are housewife style, but I had to use a separate piece for the flap since the scraps were very small. Pillows are made from scraps from elsewhere and stuffed with a bit of wadding as above.  It was great fun to do.
The two tiny squares (c. 1") are all that is left from the original piece, other than wisps that came off the edges from the overlocking.  I have a cunning plan for those. 

#15 SewRuthieSew's Entry

Multi fabric jacket using the Style Arc Marni Jacket pattern

Scraps from 3 other projects which had left awkward T shaped scraps mostly not long enough for a garment piece.

Rather than create pieced fabric, I decided to choose a pattern with a waist seam and then cut out the largest pattern pieces first, moving through to the smallest. I started with the sleeves and then the back.

here's the resulting make.

The plain red drapes very differently and looks a little odd on the dummy. I try doing a shot of me wearing it at some point.

#16 EliseP’s entry

What is it and for whom
Simple top suitable for work

Pattern used
Butterick 3030

About half a metre of silk chiffon leftover from a dress that I made for a wedding last year.
This is the dress, which I never wore as I just didn't like it, I love the fabric but it just didn't come up nicely in the dress, and when I put a hole in the sleeve I abandoned it! I knew I had just enough left over to make a top so I kept it aside.

I managed to cut the top out of the half metre I had left over, but needed to cut into the dress to get a bias strip to bind the neckline. I extended the bias into a loop and used a self cover button to close the back neck. The hemline gave me some trouble but otherwise it was a quick little make (this is my go-to TNT pattern for this kind of project).

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 06:23:27 AM by Iminei »

Manuela

Voting has started  :)

toileandtrouble

This is truly the hardesr one ever. There is so much creativity here, so much diversity. I would have liked even more votes.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

RJR_38

So many creative things, it was so hard to choose!

jen

Good grief, this is one of the hardest to make a choice from! They are all so good, inventive and well thought out.

Ellabella

Well that was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be.

Catllar

Done - and t'was good! But bloody hard choosing.
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

BrendaP

The more entries the harder the voting gets!  There are so many good entries, so sorry to all the others but I have made my choice.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Happymrsg

How do I choose?
They are all fab, fab, fab -<

mudcat

It took a while to choose and I'm sure if I did it fresh tomorrow I'd pick a different four.  Really excellent job everyone and so much creativity. 

Kenora

Great work everyone. I've voted but it was so, so difficult to choose. :loveit:
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Helen M

Gosh that was hard as they were all so good!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Lachica

So hard to choose with such diverse entries. I voted earlier but failed to read the instructions so only voted for 2. Can I try again with a different 2 votes?
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Lisalou1965

Absolutely lovely entries - very hard to choose only four. As someone else said, if I voted again tomorrow, I would probably choose different things. Congratulations to all you clever bods!!!
If you see me with a seam ripper, now is not a good time