The Sewing Place

Thread matching problems

sewingj

Thread matching problems
« on: April 09, 2020, 13:38:20 PM »
I buy most of my fabric online and when possible ask for a matching thread.  Otherwise I buy Gutermann Sew All from my local curtain fabric shop which has a good range.

I`ve just started making some curtains and have some thread which is ok-ish and I will use that.  But ideally I would have liked some a little bit paler -  and this has made me realise how difficult it is to choose thread online.  I was hoping that as I know the number of the thread I already have, it would be easy to view the ones that are similar - but I haven`t found a way of doing that.  The numbering seems to be totally random!

toileandtrouble

Re: Thread matching problems
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 13:47:03 PM »
@sewingj I have a full set which I got to save time matching for repairs.  I sorted them into colour families. If you let me know the colour you have, I will tell you which are next to it in line.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

Ploshkin

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 13:58:29 PM »
@sewingj a couple of years back i bought a box of 40 Guterman sew all threads (at a very good price).  When one runs out i get a replacement.  So far, I have been able to find a suitable match when I've needed to.  Its particularly handy when i just want a small amount of thread for topstitching.  I think it was called a Guterman Notebook
Life's too short for ironing.

sewingj

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 15:38:27 PM »
I`ve seen the Notebook and it is a good price when you consider how much each spool costs but there are quite a few colours in it that I would never use.

@toileandtrouble the colour I have is Col: 827.  Ideally I am looking for something slightly paler and greyer but this one will do if I can`t find better (Husband assures me it is "fine")

toileandtrouble

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 16:11:49 PM »
Looked up the number in my list and found it. A sort of teal/sea blue grey.  Oddly, it is the colour I just used for some curtains. I had a similar problem with matching and had to hand hem because of the show through on a machine hem.
There are lots of those sorts of colours in fabrics, but that seems to be a standalone in the threads. 
The one next to it, 553, is darker and greener.
The next in greyness is 788, but that is definitely grey and lacks the blue. 
224 is the same depth of colour but in a greyish green. 
Nothing else comes close. Don't forget darks go in lighter and lights go in darker. How does it look in the fabric?
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 16:19:54 PM »
I think it will be fine. If I hold the spool next to the fabric it doesn't look right, but a single thread doesn't stand out much at all.
They are only small curtains so it wouldn't take long to hand sew the hem

Starryfish

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 16:22:37 PM »
Some years ago I bought a Gutermann thread chart as I have to drive miles to get any. I have found it invaluable, it shows what size reels and weights of thread are available in any colour.
A day without sewing is a day wasted.