The Sewing Place

What are these Kai scissors?

Marniesews

What are these Kai scissors?
« on: April 13, 2020, 20:13:27 PM »
Prym sell a few Kai scissors under their brand and they're usually a good price so being a big fan of Kai I sometimes check them out. I saw these scissors described by Prym as 'textile scissors' which doesn't give many clues to the purpose of their distinctive shape of blade and tip but despite searching online I can't find any other description of them.

They are in the Kai catalogue listed under the N5000 series and referenced as S-5B but that's it.

I did wonder if they were possibly for appliqué? What do you think? Apologies to anyone who is unable to see this Flickr image, hopefully you can see the blue handled version here being sold by Prym.

Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Renegade Sewist

Re: What are these Kai scissors?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 20:28:13 PM »
Unusual. Why am I suddenly seeing them used to cut yarn or thread loops into fringe?  Like on a tapestry or art quilt. Obviously for use where you don't want pointy tips ruining the base fabric. The curved blade would facilitate scooping up the threads.

Totally conjecture mind you.  ><

ETA: I just saw a different blunt tipped Kai scissor being used to cut chenille on a quilt.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 20:37:55 PM by Renegade Sewist »
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

UttaRetch

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 22:08:15 PM »
Well the description says
Professional Textile Scissors HT curved 13.5cm  /  5 ¼"
Textile scissors, standard handles
when using several layers of cloth, the rounded tips  ensure that only the top layer is cut
Easy to use- every crafter needs this!

Why would you only want to cut the top layer of several?  Sounds like bad translation to me.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 22:29:51 PM »
Why would you only want to cut the top layer of several?  Sounds like bad translation to me.

@UttaRetch that would be for the chenille I mentioned.  Look up "faux  chenille ". Sorry, hard to link on this tablet.

Three to six layers of fabric are stitched together, quilted if you will, by sewing parallel  lines from 3/8" to 3/4" inches apart. You then slit between the rows of stitching all but the bottom layer. Usually the stitching is on the bias to the fabric grain. Run through the washer and dryer the cut edges bloom up.

Can be lovely. Used for quilting, scatter rugs and some garments. The best I've seen was a silk scarf done with multiple layers on each side of a long rectangle and the layers slashed  on each side leaving the base rectangle scarf intact. Just stunning.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 00:12:21 AM »

@UttaRetch  If you are doing something like Carrickmacross lace you have a layer of fine organie over a layer of tulle net, then hand embroider according to the pattern underneath both layers and then cut away the excess organdie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7jzlSic5LA
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 09:39:08 AM »
Reverse applique (like Alabama Chanin) needs the shape cut out of the top layer leaving the base layer intact
Life's too short for ironing.

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2020, 12:11:09 PM »

0_0 :S Can you believe it I only linked that last minute for the image and didn't scroll down to find the long lost description!  :facepalm:

Like @UttaRetch I don't know that on its own it would have got me much further but your other explanations did! And for once I don't feel like I need this exciting new find.  :o
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

UttaRetch

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2020, 12:14:23 PM »
I'm just an ignorant garment sewer and know nothing of the 'darkside'.  ;)

Lizzy777

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 20:24:07 PM »
Faux chenille (stitch and slash) and reverse applique is used in normal sewing though? I have a cutter which isn't too great so those scissors would be an asset especially for the faux chenille. You can incorporate both techniques in garments.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 20:36:03 PM »
Faux chenille (stitch and slash) and reverse applique is used in normal sewing though? I have a cutter which isn't too great so those scissors would be an asset especially for the faux chenille. You can incorporate both techniques in garments.

Precisely!  I've seen some amazing garments made with it.  Koos can den Akker did a jacket for Vogue, 2709, with slashed rayon panels on the front. Great reversible jacket BTW.

Great done with silks and rayon.  Diaper fabric layered in really blooms.