The Sewing Place

Asking for a newby quilter friend

Iminei

Re: Asking for a newby quilter friend
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2020, 07:43:30 AM »
Re Jelly rolls ...

Dont even unwrap them until you are ready to sew them ... straight away ...

They may (or may not) be a godsend being 2 1/2" coordinated WOF strips but sometimes they are not as precisely cut as you want them to be and they ALL start fraying as soon as they are taken out of their wrapping.

FQs are an excellent way to increase your stash, Charm squares are great, layer cakes are better but give me good old yardage any day!

@Vezelay ... you are going to introduce your friend to The Darkside arent you ??????  :devil: Whom should I be looking out for ???
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:45:51 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2020, 09:24:51 AM »
I have washed a couple of jelly rolls with great success (gently in a pillow case) but that fabric was a loose weave and looked a bit bleedy so I risked it. Took me flippin' hours to sort out.
I continue to pre-wash everything to avoid shrinkage and bleeding and I have used polycotton once but it was a good weight and very similar to my quilting cotton so I chanced it. For backing I really can't see a problem.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Flobear

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2020, 09:53:06 AM »
I favour the soaking-in-the-bath method. My hot water comes out at around 60*C according to the meat thermometer! I've never soaked a jelly roll, though.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Vezelay

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2020, 12:04:07 PM »
@Vezelay ... you are going to introduce your friend to The Darkside arent you ??????  :devil: Whom should I be looking out for ???
Hmm..not sure. Then she'd realise I'm not the font of all knowledge. Besides I quite like having you lot all to myself. :)

Thanks to you Darksiders I managed to avert the great washing disaster at the eleventh hour!

Missie

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2020, 12:08:29 PM »
I wouldn't wash it when made up either.  I quite like the look when it shrinks a bit, gives it an aged look, and it might not even shrink.

Efemera

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 12:52:35 PM »
Not when it's all sewn together though surely?
Nooooo!  :oI meant before making up.