The Sewing Place

Important!! How to resize your Pics!!!

Acorn

Important!! How to resize your Pics!!!
« on: April 15, 2020, 09:42:33 AM »
I need to ask everyone not to post very large photos.  We have a storage limit on our hosting, and we are filling it up at an alarming rate of knots.

To give you some idea, 18 months ago our attachments folder contained 5GB.  Today it contains 14.5GB.  The total limit for our hosting is 50GB.  (The rest of the site is trivial in comparison.)

I am not asking for any compromise in terms of the sharing of pictures - we love pictures and we want to see them.

The maximum width of a picture that can be shown in a post is 900px, and 650px is usually quite big enough to properly show almost anything.  If you upload a picture larger than 900px wide, the excess size is completely wasted, but still has to be stored.  It also slows down the loading of the page dramatically.  This, in fact, is almost as important as the storage issue.

UttaReth's excellent Lunapic tutorial is here, enabling you to resize your images very, very easily and then either download them to your own computer (so you can add them as attachments) or link to them (using the img tags).*  Other image editing sites will do similar things, and you might prefer the way they function.  Be Funky is one that has been recommended to me.

If you are posting directly from your phone there may be settings you can change, or apps that you can download to resize an image before you upload it to the site.  I have a free app on my Android phone called Photo & Picture Resizer which does just that.  I'm sure there are others available (I really am no phone expert!!)

So, in short, please resize your pictures before adding them as attachments, ideally to 650px wide, but definitely to no more than 900px wide.

I could put in a setting that would block pictures above a certain size, but it would be very inflexible, and I would rather trust to your common sense - however, if we carry on increasing our storage at this rate I will have to do something more drastic!

*Images posted using the [ img ] tags don't take up any space, so no problem there.  NB This is the tag that I mean:
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
and it only works with images that are somewhere else on the internet - you click on it and then put the url into the box that pops up.  It has no function whatsoever with attached images.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:58:57 AM by Iminei »
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Flobear

Re: Important!! We need you all to read this.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 09:47:20 AM »
I can't see the img tag pic, only a ? in a blue square. I'm presuming it's the one at the top of the reply box - first icon, second row, that has a teeny tiny pic. of the Mona Lisa in it.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 09:47:34 AM »
I usually resize mine if I've sent them to the laptop  :angel:

Although I do occasionally send them direct from my phone, I suspect they may be too big, must stop that then.

Does it make any difference if you use the "insert attachment" option to show them in your text?  I presume not?

Efemera

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 09:51:16 AM »
I upload straight from my iPad ... sometimes I get a message that it won’t load because it’s too big.. does that mean the ones I do post are OK?

Acorn

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 09:54:52 AM »
@Flobear I've tweaked the post so you should be able to see it now - but you're absolutely right anyway.

@Bodgeitandscarper No, putting it into the text doesn't make any difference to the storage.  However, if the image is large (and especially if there are several large images) putting it/them into the text is likely to slow down the loading of the page.

@Efemera Not necessarily - I'm afraid that just means that the too-large ones are bigger than the server will accept, which is very big indeed!  We don't have a site-defined limit in place at the moment.
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 09:56:56 AM »
Just to clarify ... (like I know anything ) but in Acorns words

if the image is attached, using the + icon at the bottom of the text box you are writing in,  the whole image is stored on TSP's server ... taking up storage space.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Inserting it into the body of the text makes no difference to the storage size, although if there is a very big image in the text it will slow down the loading of that page.

If you click on the image icon, above the text box as you type,

you then need to copy the image address and enter it between the bracketed image icon, and this beams it in from whichever site in the ether you have taken the image from, in this case my Google photos ... Therefore the storage is on someone else site, not ours!

Clear as mud???
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 09:58:40 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 10:19:08 AM »
OMG @Iminei. That's brilliant!  :o :o :o I think I may have had a light bulb moment.

It probably won't help when I try to do it but at least I'll know why it's wrong!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Sewingsue

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 10:30:07 AM »
I think on the rare occasions I have posted a pic I have been a bad person and used the + attachments way.

Just as well I don't have anything worth showing (actually I had better go back and remove the rubbish I have posted in the past).
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Helen M

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 10:41:18 AM »
Thank you for the Android resizer. I can never understand why the photos taken on phones/tablets need to be so huge, it's not as if we want to make billboard sized posters......

I often send/share them as an email to myself, and there is a resizer in that email program. I then save them to my computer and then post. Longwinded but it works for the few I need to repost.
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Flobear

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 11:21:28 AM »
Android phones and tablets have settings on them to reduce the default file size of photos but most people don't even know to look for them. I expect i-ones do as well.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 11:43:47 AM »
When you send a pic from an iPhone you are asked it it's to be small, med, large or full size.  For most purposes I choose med or large.

Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ploshkin

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 11:53:57 AM »
I keep my camera set on the smallest size photos then i know theyre ok.

Another forum  I am on uses an image hosting site that provides a url for the picture that you then copy and paste in the 'post an image' bit.
Life's too short for ironing.

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 11:59:03 AM »
Don't know about light bulb moment, I've never even noticed +attachments and other options.  I suppose you could after a certain length of time delete the lot.  Not many us go go back and look at old photos.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 12:47:15 PM »
I always use the +Attachments....didn’t know there’s another way.
I have to say if it’s a picture link in people’s posts I never look...me being lazy!

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 13:15:27 PM »
I'm too lazy to follow links too @Efemera  :|
Triumph of hope over experience :D