The Sewing Place

Who suits wrap dresses?

Ravingdoll

Who suits wrap dresses?
« on: May 07, 2017, 12:23:18 PM »
Because I sure as hell do not.  And yet I've still sat at my Mac and thought about buying the new Sew Over It one.  I Must Not Succumb.  I've tried them all, woven and jersey.  Bought or made, they just don't seem to be 'me' and there is the added horror of walking over the bridge here on Exeter Quay (notoriously windy as it goes over the River Exe) to find you are flashing your undies at the traffic coming into Exeter.  I'm sure that many holiday makers have gone home with tales of the mad woman from Devon who thinks she's Marilyn Monroe.   I nearly had a wrap dress completely snatched off me a few years back when it was blowing a gale (clearly I don't take any notice of the weather forecasts) and it was only a goth coming to my rescue and lending me his long leather coat that stopped me having to run home in nothing but bra and hold up stockings.  Oh and shoes too of course, mustn't forget those.  And yet other people seem to be able to wear wrap dresses effortlessly.  It's even in my sewing journal in my 'rules' section - don't make them!  And yet still I lust after the patterns.  Get behind me temptation.   0_0

Efemera

Re: Who suits wrap dresses?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 12:47:00 PM »
I hate them and they hate me....I just look so mumsy in them, I haven't enough bustage to balance out the bottom bit.

DementedFairy

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 12:55:48 PM »
I used to have several [before my return to sewing] all bought from eBay, cheap and cheerful, fun to wear, and [I think] suited me well and gave me some shape.  I always wore a cami under them [I just bought a gazillion vests in different colours from New Look] and often a  waist slip for modesty, as I was teaching in a  boys' school at the time!

I had no more skirt-blowing trouble with wrap dresses than any other style with a full skirt.  The ties can be a pain, I don't like adding extra inches to my chunky trunk.

I don't wear them now, I outgrew all the old ones, or they just died from overuse.  the nearest thing to a wrap dress I have now is that Tracy Reese one I made last month...no wrap to the skirt, and a built in cami

The Cashmerette one is rumoured to be excellent for avoiding boob exposure.
C'est moi!

Ravingdoll

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 12:57:08 PM »
I am certainly not lacking in the boobies department but I definitely look matronly in them.  Glad it isn't just me though Efemera, feel much better knowing that  0_0.  Although for me, the hatred seems one sided, they hate me but I can't bring myself to hate them back (until I put them on my body that is!)

Francesca

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 13:09:18 PM »
I have a few wraps and faux wraps and I really like them. With a full skirt, I think they are flattering on me. I'm busty and narrow waisted which I think is the key. But the slim skirted ones look awful on me.

Ploshkin

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 13:25:29 PM »
I crossed them off my list about 30 years ago.  I haven't got a great deal up top and they inevitably gape.
I did once have a pattern for a fantastic wrap skirt that I made many times.  It wrapped at the back and the ties came round to the front (through a couple of belt loops) to tie.
Life's too short for ironing.

Catllar

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 13:53:14 PM »
I'm not keen either - a bit mumsy I think. Anyway the next stage in my life will be the wrap-over apron worn with Nora Batty stockings and slippers - it seems to be a requirement here after a certain age. But I'm not sure what age it is?!?!? 0_0
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Mama likes to make

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 19:09:51 PM »
I love a wrap dress. I do always wear a cami or vest under them. One of my favourite is actually from tesco. I am tall don't know if that helps but I don't think they look matronly. I have the cashmerette pattern and I'm looking forward to trying it as i've never sewn one.
2018 fabric used 12m.
2018 wardrobe items completed 6.

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 19:17:55 PM »
To me, matronly is personified by Chanel style jackets.  Gah!

I know, I know, some of you adore them, and have made beautiful versions...they just scream 'FRUMP' to me.  We all have our ideas of what is matronly/mumsy/frumpy probably based on what the generation before wore.  Not that any of my family would have had a Chanel jacket you understand.  Mum did have a one and only grey suit with a rather boxy cardigan style jacket though, so maybe that's it?

Brooches have the same connotation!
C'est moi!

Francesca

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 19:23:59 PM »
To me, matronly is personified by Chanel style jackets.  Gah!

I know, I know, some of you adore them, and have made beautiful versions...they just scream 'FRUMP' to me.  We all have our ideas of what is matronly/mumsy/frumpy probably based on what the generation before wore.  Not that any of my family would have had a Chanel jacket you understand.  Mum did have a one and only grey suit with a rather boxy cardigan style jacket though, so maybe that's it?

Brooches have the same connotation!

I always found that I had more in common fashion-wise with my grandma than my Mum  0_0 80s style nope nope nope. Looks like what my Mum used to wear!

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 20:15:36 PM »
I don't get on with wrap dresses either.  They always look so good on the pattern packet, but on three occasions I've succumbed to trying to make one and each time it's ended up in the bin.  They always gape and if a pin or press stud is used to hold it together it pulls and looks awful.

Repeat:  I must not buy another wrap dress pattern
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 20:32:08 PM »
I nearly had a wrap dress completely snatched off me a few years back when it was blowing a gale (clearly I don't take any notice of the weather forecasts) and it was only a goth coming to my rescue and lending me his long leather coat that stopped me having to run home in nothing but bra and hold up stockings.  Oh and shoes too of course, mustn't forget those.

0_0   0_0   0_0  It's a myth that every woman can wear a wrap dress.  You need to be thin and 'flat' - no tits, bum or arse - to wear this and then you have to keep still and avoid adverse weather.  I hanker after a wrap, but then slap myself into reality.  Don't do it, Ravingdoll

Emma2109

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 14:26:34 PM »
I love a wrap dress, however, I can't get away with the ones that have pleats/bulk on the waist. They need to be fitted on the top and then skimming from the waist down with a soft drape (don't know the technical term for the style as I am still learning  ;) ).... the wrap would be my go to and due to having an ample bust I usually put a cami/vest top underneath...

Francesca

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 14:31:45 PM »
0_0   0_0   0_0  It's a myth that every woman can wear a wrap dress.  You need to be thin and 'flat' - no tits, bum or arse - to wear this and then you have to keep still and avoid adverse weather.  I hanker after a wrap, but then slap myself into reality.  Don't do it, Ravingdoll

I don't believe that to be true. Yes you need a pancake bum for a slim-skirted wrap dress. But for a full-skirted one it's perfect. Works well for hourglass and pear shapes with a full skirt.

The key, really, I think is that you need a bust.

Lyn-J

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 14:43:48 PM »
Lisa likes her wrap dresses!
can you make it a mock wrap by edge stitching the neck and sewing down the front at the same time?
and do a fake wrap on the skirt?