The Sewing Place

Who suits wrap dresses?

Tamnymore

Re: Who suits wrap dresses?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 14:56:51 PM »
I'm in the thumbs down camp for wrap dresses too. However I've just made a Lynn Mizono wrap top and I love it. It does seem to flatten the tum a bit - a Herculean task in my case. And it doesn't gape (or at least no one has complained about it gaping!)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

b15erk

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 14:59:03 PM »
I always fancy wrap dresses, but they are never a success.  I'm thinking of one in particular, I made it, and DF made it. I hated mine, but DF went on to make several.  :S

Horses for courses ...

Jessie
Jessie, who is very happy to be here!!  :),  but who has far too many sewing machines to be healthy, and a fabric stash which is becoming embarrassing.

Surest1tch

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 15:02:22 PM »
I don't.  I tried one on once and looked and felt so frumpy in it I decided they were definitely not for me.

UttaRetch

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 16:59:22 PM »
Lisa likes her wrap dresses!
can you make it a mock wrap by edge stitching the neck and sewing down the front at the same time?
and do a fake wrap on the skirt?

There are lots of mock wrap patterns from which to choose, including the stunning Simplicity 8013.

This blogger sewed a pretty, true wrap dress, which definitively demonstrates to me the reasons why they don't work for those of us with 'flesh on the bones'.

BrendaP

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 17:33:42 PM »
That's one that I made and binned!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

DementedFairy

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 17:41:11 PM »

This blogger sewed a pretty, true wrap dress, which definitively demonstrates to me the reasons why they don't work for those of us with 'flesh on the bones'.

Oh dear yes.  Good looking woman, pretty dress, but the twain really didn't meet did they?

I think the pattern looked skimpy in the first place, she needed an FBA on that shape, and the bias edge is a disaster.  They HAVE to be shaped well or otherwise controlled.  Therein lies the problem I think
C'est moi!

UttaRetch

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2017, 19:28:10 PM »
The blogger used exactly the same fabric and it looked great on the 'flat', thin model.

but when tits and arse enter the equation, it all goes wrong.

Marniesews

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2017, 21:14:28 PM »
They look dreadful on me too. I've always been busty with a small waist - more proportionally than actually through most of my life  ;) , and I'm always being told that wrap tops will look great on me but they really don't. I've seen big busted women that did look good in them but I think you need the combination of height and a long waisted torso for them to work well with a big bust. The blogger in UR's post had good posture but seemed just too short waisted so her bust looked very heavy in this style and the skirt looked like it was flaring out from a point too near the bust.

I'm now just 5'3", used to be well over 5'4" and although I've lost lots of weight I do still have a biggish bust so it's not a style I plan to make for me, ever.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

elephun

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2017, 21:36:40 PM »
"I haven't attempted a wrap dress since I learned how to do FBAs and I learned that I need to do an FBA on pretty much every top and dress,"  she says as she sits in a blouse that constantly reveals her bra strap because she didn't start with a small enough size.

I have one good wrap dress. It was from H&M about 8 years ago. It's a wool and poly knit with just a tiny bit of mechanical stretch. It's too small to cover my boobs properly, but fits nicely everywhere else. It looks okay with a cami under it.

I think fabric is key for my success. And FBAs.

Edited to correct shop name to H&M
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 22:31:18 PM by elephun »

UttaRetch

« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2017, 08:52:10 AM »
I had hopes for the PR wrap dress, but the lack of a waist seam is a deal breaker.  :(

Francesca

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 09:49:55 AM »
I'm going to try the Cashmerette Appleton at some point. It has a slim skirt though, which I will be extending to a flare instead (probably using a nice flare skirt I already drafted for myself). It's meant to be good for no-gape so we shall see.

My best friend is very busty with a pancake bum and I bet she would suit the standard Appleton really well.

Zigzag

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 09:53:27 AM »
I also have a good selection of wrap dresses in my wardrobe and wear a cami with them.   :) Thanks for the expert tips from all TSP fabulous sewers here.
I have an unopened Peggy Sager wrap dress pattern and one day iI may get round to using it. :D

DaisyChain

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2017, 14:36:50 PM »
0_0   0_0   0_0  It's a myth that every woman can wear a wrap dress. 

Sooo true. I’ve made two wrap dresses which are super comfy to wear but as I have a high waist they’re not the most flattering of garments.... a sack of tatties tied in the middle comes to mind.   :(

I think wrap dresses are probably like wide leg trousers. I so want a pair.......even though I know I shouldn’t.  :[

I’ve been looking at various patterns for ages and came across this review.

https://indiesew.com/creations/black-denim-emersons#creation

See, the reviewer doesn’t look anything like a stumpy little cuboid..... but then she is 5 ft 11” and is wearing  a size S so I should imagine she looks elegant in most things!

Efemera

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2017, 15:41:19 PM »
I've just sent a pair of unworn wide leg linen trousers to the charity shop...they're not for me either.

UttaRetch

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2017, 16:24:32 PM »
I love the idea of wide legged trousers as I have a relatively small waist but big arse and thunder thighs.  Then I saw this on PR.  :[