The Sewing Place

Florals Rule Contest - 01.05. - 31.05.2020

SewRuthieSews

Re: Florals Rule Contest - 01.05. - 31.05.2020
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2020, 21:58:10 PM »
I have some floral fabric with a navy background which I bought on my pre lockdown holiday to Madeira.
It wants to be a loose shirt apparently, so I will try to oblige.
I've got two remnants of the same fabric, which will hopefully be enough for the simple shirt. I suppose it could end up with 3/4 sleeves.

Starryfish

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2020, 17:13:26 PM »
Starryfish's 1st Entry -

Style Arc Cruise Club Kim- obviously not for a cruise( I never wanted to go on one before COV-19, now definitely not) . This is a night dress, made from some  floral viscose jersey from the stash.
It was perfectly straight forward to make, just overlocked the seams, topstitched the neck and armhole bands and twin needled the hem. The only thing I changed was to take in the armholes about 1", to hug the fabric close in to the armpits, I often have to do this on sleeveless jersey makes.
   [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 17:20:04 PM by Starryfish »
A day without sewing is a day wasted.

Lachica

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2020, 17:38:55 PM »
That's too nice for a nightie @Starryfish
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

mudcat

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2020, 01:45:37 AM »
Starryfish, that is such cheerful fabric.  I really like it.  It made my day.  I've been in a bit of a dark mood today.

Greybird

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2020, 13:07:06 PM »
Greybird's 1st (and only!) entry.

This was a 1 metre piece of fabric I bought online. It was described as brocade but even so, it was heavier than I expected. The design is printed onto a self-patterned white textured effect. With so little fabric I was limited as to what pattern I could use and hadn't a hope of matching the pattern - I simply ignored it!

I used M2818 which I have had ages. I had used it for something else recently so it sprang to mind because it's very economical of fabric. It looks quite old fashioned but has proved very useful quite a few times. It's a pattern for tops and buttons down the back but because I wasn't at all sure what this was going to turn into, I altered it to button in the front. It seems to have turned into a sort of jacket which I will wear buttoned up. I extended the sleeves as far as the fabric would allow and they are three quarter length which I like. I ended up lining it because the facings (neck facings were all I could get) were too bulky. I couldn't find any buttons I liked so have used some black silk dupion to self-cover them. I had a nightmare with the buttonholes - machine playing up - have settled for the best I could do.

What event/occasion is it for?
Good question. Should I ever have any occasion to go to in the future, I'll let you know if it's suitable! I think it would go quite well with jeans but it also goes well with the charcoal crepe trousers I shall be posting elsewhere soon.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]    [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

annieeg

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2020, 13:58:06 PM »
That is a cracking little jacket :loveit:

annieeg

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2020, 14:14:00 PM »
@Greybird
I researched that pattern and it's a great shame it's no longer available  :( :'(

annieeg

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2020, 15:15:46 PM »
I did find a copy on Etsy but I think its from the USA. Anyway I've ordered it ...  0_0

Elnnina

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2020, 15:21:03 PM »
That is such a lovely jacket - just love the fabric, and the pattern on this is one that just flows, i.e. you cannot be sure where the next piece is going so your abandoning trying to patten match was indeed the right way to go - it really is stunning.

Now you say you had bother with the buttonholes, do you by any chance have a computerized machine that may have sensors?   I had trouble doing buttonholes on my Bernina Artista and that does have sensors, and the trouble was that a sensor tucked up high where the needle goes was covered in a lot of debris - just imagine how many times when machining a garment that the needle is penetrating the fabric and whilst we do not see the tiny particles of dust, this just flies up everywhere and settles on the hidden sensor - so keeping that clean when using a foot that also has a sensor and trying to do something more complicated than just straight sewing,  is important.  I have alongside my machine a little pot that contains cotton buds, some tissue, and I also have a dental mirror (courtesy of my friendly Dentist) and a piece of cloth that picks up and traps the dust.  I have found that failure to keep this hidden sensor clean results in the machine not performing correctly.

Greybird

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2020, 16:14:45 PM »
@annieeg - glad you were able to find it. It's a pattern I really like. It seems to suit my shape!

@Elnnina - no, I don't have a computerised machine. it's a Husqvarna Emerald 118. I have been having a problem with the bobbin. It doesn't like it when the bobbin is less than half full and it rattles around and doesn't stay seated where it should. This is causing tension problems. I have dismantled and cleaned it (again and again!), changed the needle, re-threaded it and sometimes it's OK and sometimes it isn't. I have had it about 13 years and I think it would probably appreciate a service. Once I am allowed out and the sewing machine shop is open I shall treat it!

Thank you for the kind comments about the jacket.

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2020, 16:44:51 PM »
@Greybird, that's come out really well.
Whilst I don't have that particular pattern, I found it online and the line drawing sparked a memory for me of something similar. At some point I'll have a rootle through the pattern boxes and see if I can find it.
I'm astonished you've got it out of a metre!

Flobear

« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2020, 17:39:14 PM »
May I ask if it's permissible to enter with something that was partially cut out about 10 years ago and only a bit of tacking done on darts ? Now that my fabric order has arrived the garment is going to be completed and lined. Both fabrics are floral.
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

Greybird

« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2020, 17:56:49 PM »
@SewRuthieSews - it probably helps that I'm only 5' and have very short arms!

Helen M

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2020, 20:11:50 PM »
it probably helps that I'm only 5' and have very short arms!

@Greybird I'll second that as I'm just an inch taller also with short arms. It does sometimes have its advantages!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

toileandtrouble

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2020, 23:19:10 PM »
I altered it to button in the front.  I extended the sleeves as far as the fabric would allow and ended up lining it because the facings (neck facings were all I could get) were too bulky. I couldn't find any buttons I liked so have used some black silk dupion to self-cover them.
@Greybird, you sound like me, trying to get something out of too small a piece of fabric! Sometimes, darts turn into princess lines and some times back seams are joined together. (or the other ways around) all depending on how the pieces fit together.  Turned out nice again!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 08:25:25 AM by toileandtrouble »
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m