The Sewing Place

Florals Rule Contest - 01.05. - 31.05.2020

SewRuthieSews

Re: Florals Rule Contest - 01.05. - 31.05.2020
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2020, 12:23:31 PM »
I started cutting out at 09:30, went straight through and had a completed garment by 12:00.
So I need 2 1/2 hours to make a pair of elasticated waist trousers with pockets.

As I am having a sewing day I am going to carry on and see if another piece is forthcoming!

----------
After a break for lunch, just over 2 hours and a simple cardigan jacket to make a floral suit.
Might call it a day now and tidy up after the devastation.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2020, 18:07:03 PM by SewRuthieSews »

Flobear

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2020, 13:51:51 PM »
I'm still wrestling with the re-design of the front opening. Mk III now  :S
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

SewRuthieSews

« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2020, 18:03:21 PM »
SewRuthieSew's Entry

Floral trouser suit, sewn because I'd kept pinning photos of dark floral trouser suits and fancied my own.
Having sewn it though I'm not sure if I would actually wear it as a suit, but the individual pieces will be great with plain navy separates, and perhaps a top picked from one of the colours in the print.

Trousers - New Look 6216, Cardigan jacket - the cardigan pattern from Wendy Ward's sewing with knits book.
Fabric - remnants of stretch woven printed cotton bought on holiday in Madeira.

To get both the trousers and jacket out of the fabric I laid the pieces out together, and cropped both slightly.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 19:31:55 PM by Iminei »

Efemera

« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2020, 19:12:40 PM »
Speedy sewing... and lovely too.

sewmuchmore

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2020, 19:24:47 PM »
Entry no. 3 Finished today.
Made for every day wear
Fabric is a chambray which has sort of out of focus flowers on it.
Pattern used is Simple Sew Utility Dress, aimed at beginners.
I saw this dress made up on a blog and decided it would make a good every day dress. I already had the fabric in my stash but when the pattern arrived I thought "what was I thinking". I don't do v necks, I don't do fitted waists as I have no waist and then I realized that the top was pleated!
Any way I went ahead. First thing with this pattern is that the key indicated the shaded area is the wrong side but all the diagrams that accompany the instructions show the shaded area as the right side. (This could really confuse beginners).
There is no mention of stay stitching or under stitching, and the instructions for the cuffs leave a lot to be desired.
Alterations I made: initially raised the v by an inch but on final fitting it was still too low and the neckline was far too wide so I had to take it in by sewing a dart shaped seam down the front. I also had to shorten by 4 inch so it sits on my knee.
I was pleasantly surprised how well it fitted after that although not sure I will wear it much as the colour it is a bit insipid and even he said it looks a bit like it should be a nighty.
I will make the dress again but in my usual stronger colour palette.
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 19:20:53 PM by Iminei »
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

snoozi soozi

« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2020, 20:20:45 PM »
(Arm up in the air) @Iminei  Miss, Miss, @SewRuthieSews has entered two garments on one post. S'not allowed.......

otherwise I would've done that
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Flobear

« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2020, 21:25:42 PM »
Woo hoo! Have squeaked in with 2 and a half hours of the day left. I haven't done final pressing yet but I'm sure that will be OK for tomorrow  :)

Flobear

« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2020, 13:04:23 PM »
OK, here it is. Had to go and buy a white T shirt as the one I have is very greyish and past its best!

Flobear's Entry

What event/occasion is it for: Going to bed (jama trousers) Wafting about at breakfast time (gown)

Pattern used: Butterick 4913 a droopy dress from the days of shoulder pads.

A short description on how you made it: 10+ years ago it was going to be a light coat to wear over belly dance kit. Partly cut out, it sat in a bag since then. Decided I needed a between-seasons wafting gown. Shopped online for a very lightweight cotton to line it. Added extensions to front for overlapping. Re-designed sleeve head and armhole size and shape so it would be looser and not need shoulder pads.  Re-shaped front V and did away with neck facing so made bias binding for those edges.

Liked the lining material so made matching jim-jam trousers based on some ancient pattern I've been using for ever.

Pictures
1. Wee Willa Winkie !  2. Must-have pockets  3. Does up with a tie belt  4. Flasher mode  :P

« Last Edit: June 02, 2020, 19:20:22 PM by Iminei »

wrenkins

« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2020, 13:10:58 PM »
HaHa I forgot you'd look like @Ploshkin!!!  0_0

Great outfit! :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Flobear

« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2020, 13:50:35 PM »
When we were young people would sometimes think we were twins  :rolleyes:

wrenkins

« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2020, 14:33:09 PM »
I'm not surprised!  0_0
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2020, 19:36:36 PM »
@indigotiger  ... Are you entering your William Morrisy blouse ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

indigotiger

« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2020, 15:42:39 PM »
Thanks for reminding me... I will try and take a photo today...
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry

Iminei

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2020, 07:26:20 AM »
Last few days to get your entry in Girls ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

indigotiger

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2020, 17:48:22 PM »
indigotiger's Entry - Floral Blouse

What event/occasion is it for: everyday wear, especially in springtime

Pattern used: self-drafted TNT button front blouse pattern

I really wanted to make something cheerful to wear, and this teal floral print was a lot more colorful than my usual grey/brown/black/indigo wardrobe, while still being something that would coordinate with what is in my closet. I had purchased the fabric sometime in the past few years, probably because it reminded me of Liberty Lawn prints...

Cutting out and putting the blouse together would be fairly straightforward, since it is a TNT pattern and my isolation weight loss didn't affect any crucial fitting issues, just made the blouse a little more loose fitting. However, for some reason, the project told me that it wanted to have decorative rick rack piping added to the collar and center front! (surely I am not the only seamster who has their projects "speak" to them) While I have done regular flat piping in the past, I have never worked with rick rack before, and after hunting for quite a while online, I found someone selling some vintage all cotton pale blue tiny rick rack... I wanted small, because I wanted subtle, not too twee. I didn't realise that the very narrow trim would be as difficult as it turned out to be to sandwich accurately when sewing the collar seams. There were a number of places I needed to go back and re-stitch, as the difference between catching the rick rack in the seam correctly, sewing it in too deeply so it didn't show, and not actually catching the little zig zags was literally a thread of difference.

Fortunately, stitching the rick rack into the front button bands was less fraught, as it could be done with the components all in plain sight:

I was pretty pleased with the final effect of adding the rick rack trim, it did add just the touch of emphasis without making it look like a child's garment:

Here is the blouse "as worn"... I am next planning on making a teal linen pinafore for an even more "summery" look, but as this blouse will coordinate with all the current pinafores in my closet, so I am quite content

« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 10:12:39 AM by Iminei »
Read about my daily life at Acorn Cottage: Acorn Cottage Artisanry