The Sewing Place

Hola from Baja California Sur, Mexico

BajaSusana

Hola from Baja California Sur, Mexico
« on: May 07, 2017, 13:07:50 PM »
  8) Buenas dias all!
 My name is Susan. I am a US expat living in La Paz, Baja California Sur. My husband and I sold our dotcom 5 minutes before the crash and our home 5 minutes after. We packed everything that we could into the back of  a brand new Toyota pickup complete with camper shell.
My sewing machine, tools, some fabric and my coffee pot made the cut of what came at once and what stayed behind until we were legally able to bring a truck of household goods.
Lucky for him, I found a small corner for DH box of clothes!
When we left Silicon Valley in 2000 the internet was in its infancy.There were no online sewing sites.
I was woefully in the dark for years. The fabric stores here were terrible. They have upgraded over the years, but I still need to buy goods online.

When I found Pattern Review I was amazed at the changes in the sewing industry. I made many friends from all over the world.
A UK friend told me about The Sewing Place and I came over to take a look, and take part and make a supportive donation.
Any Lutterloh users here? I sew almost exclusively with Lutterloh.
Looking forward to making new friends and keeping the old!

Francesca

Re: Hola from Baja California Sur, Mexico
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 13:11:03 PM »
Welcome! I've seen Lutterloh before but can never quite get my head around it. It's sort of like a selection of small parts of patterns, isn't it?

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 13:37:29 PM »
Welcome Susana,

Lots to read, sew and do...explore, enjoy

Iminei
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

BajaSusana

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2017, 14:13:51 PM »
Welcome! I've seen Lutterloh before but can never quite get my head around it. It's sort of like a selection of small parts of patterns, isn't it?
Francesca, Lutterloh is an amazing system.
 There are miniature patterns. The sewist uses a special tape measure and their own measurements to enlarge the patterns. Perfect fit every time. No slice and dicing, slashing and spreading. I usually just have to adjust for a short waist, and lenght of everything. I am 5'1"
 Most pattern piecess are interchangeable.
Since it is impossible to find patterns here, and they are ridiculously expensive, and never fit, I love Lutterloh and have been using theirs patterns since the late 80s.
They will probably have a booth at the next fabric/crazy/sewing show in London.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 15:31:32 PM »
Susan, you made it.  Hope you like our little place and the language difference is not too much for you.  ;)  Your PR buddy, 'Victoria Line' and aka Pamela.

maliw

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2017, 18:09:40 PM »
Hello and welcome to our little 'home from home', I hope you enjoy being one of us. I've never used Lutterloh patterns although I did think of investing a few years ago.
At leisure on the leisure penninsula

Lantana

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2017, 20:46:33 PM »
Hello and welcome Susan. what an interesting intro.  :)

I'm currently reading a road book about 2 young male Brits doing a road trip in the States in a beat up old car ('Not tonight Josephine') on my kindle and I decided to look up their route as although all the names were familiar I realised I wasn't exactly sure where they were! Anyway I looked at the maps app on my phone and managed to zoom into California Sur in error (I was meant to be looking much further north lol) and made a note to find out more about it so was quite astonished when I logged into here and saw the name pop up right here on my favourite forum! What a nice coincidence. :)

I mainly frequent 'the dark side' section but I enjoy reading what other people are up to. Looking forward to seeing some of your items and learning more about your life so different from mine I guess here in Norfolk uk.

Lantana.  :vintage:

Marniesews

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2017, 21:38:45 PM »
Hello from me too. I'm on PR but tend to find myself here and Stitcher's Guild mostly.

I find the international differences so interesting - I'm hoping you'll pop some Mexican tales into your sewing posts, just for fun.  0_0  We need a palm tree emoji so we don't miss them!
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

BajaSusana

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 22:00:10 PM »
Hello from me too. I'm on PR but tend to find myself here and Stitcher's Guild mostly.

I find the international differences so interesting - I'm hoping you'll pop some Mexican tales into your sewing posts, just for fun.  0_0  We need a palm tree emoji so we don't miss them!

Here is my new label! And I will add La Paz photos and anecdotes on my blog.
 Now that I have beaten photos into submission, I shall start blogging again!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 22:04:28 PM by BajaSusana »

UttaRetch

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2017, 22:09:58 PM »
Hey Susan, you are no longer lying down.  ;)

Catllar

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »
Hi and welcome from me too. Pull up a chair and have a look around! I'm a member on SG but don't find it to be very friendly. :'( Hope we don't give off the same vibe here! 0_0
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »
I don't find SG unfriendly, but the format doesn't work easily for me, so I rarely remember to visit.  Same with the fora on PR.  This is nicer!
C'est moi!

BajaSusana

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 16:06:17 PM »
 :loveit:
Thank you all for the wet welcome!
I agree that SG is complicated and a touch snooty.
I tried to be involved. It is just too difficult to use.
 This feels like a very nice group.And it is nice to see familiar "faces" here.
AND Demente Fairy, thank you so much for using the correct ter, fora and not forums.
That drives me crazy on PR!

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 16:18:22 PM »
Fora for me too.  People will say that it doesn't matter as language is evolving all the time, but us oldsters like to hang on to what we were taught.  Referendums as opposed to referenda, sets my teeth on edge, but it is accepted and deemed inclusive.  All part of the downward spiral to mediocrity.  Better grab my tin hat.  ;)

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 17:37:28 PM »
I blame O level Latin and a grammar school education!
C'est moi!