The Sewing Place

Hola from Baja California Sur, Mexico

Francesca

Re: Hola from Baja California Sur, Mexico
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2017, 16:39:38 PM »
What problem did you have with the retreat?

I've been interested in Sure Fit because I have an impossible to fit body. But it is expensive (though possibly cheaper than the amount of time and money I've wasted).

Surest1tch

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2017, 22:31:10 PM »
Many people I know like SFD and use it.
 I did like the bodice kit and shirt kit. But I had such a horrendous experience at the retreat I sold the system.

I have a dressmaker friend that uses both systems depending on the needs of her  clients.
Glenda's free videos are very well done and  will help you.

Believe it or not I'm a time served tailor, now retired and actually have time to make things for myself now or at least that was the theory!  I can measure and make anything for anyone else but when it comes to myself can I make anything that fits?  Can I heck as like, I can't even measure myself properly (no sewing buddy) that's why I bought the SF system.
It looks a lot easier than pattern making from scratch, after all the complicated stuff I spent 45 years making I was hoping to tackle some nice simple sewing just for me

BajaSusana

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2017, 23:38:07 PM »
What problem did you have with the retreat?

I've been interested in Sure Fit because I have an impossible to fit body. But it is expensive (though possibly cheaper than the amount of time and money I've wasted).
Francesca, I was told that I did not draft, cut or sew well. At one point she said very loudly while working with a short curvy woman, over weight to be sure but her size did not run into the X sizes that someone with a big stomach would never achieve a good fit with a fly front.
 She told me my arms were just too big to be properly fit.
 I have heavy biceps, but not in the realm of overly large.
 I had worked with Glenda online before I got there, she knew my size.
Every night that curvy woman and I had to talk the other into staying the course. She had flown in from Tampa. I had flown in from Canada, after flying from MX to Vancouver to visit friends.
It would have cost either one of us a fortune to try to re- book our flights. For someone who proclaims that she is there to help women fit themselves, her tact is sorely missing.
I  Fiercely, strongly suggest that you use Lutterloh and you get in touch with Sonja in NZ she is  so wonderful. I took a hands on class with her in Dallas just shortly before the SFD retreat. I had already booked my trip to Oregon. The Dallas thing popped up and my daughter lives there. So it was cheap and easy for me.
 I have  a PR friend that lives in Norfolk. She uses Lutterloh almost exclusively for her dressmaking business. She has made some lovely things including a wedding gown for a plus sized women.
Send me a PM and I will put you in touch with her.
She and I Skyped so she could advise me on fitting.

seawinds

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2017, 04:30:58 AM »
Thank you sharing your Sure-Fit retreat experience. I am a plus size person and I won't willingly subject myself to the level of body shaming you experienced.
Seams legit

Francesca

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2017, 09:26:04 AM »
Francesca, I was told that I did not draft, cut or sew well. At one point she said very loudly while working with a short curvy woman, over weight to be sure but her size did not run into the X sizes that someone with a big stomach would never achieve a good fit with a fly front.
 She told me my arms were just too big to be properly fit.
 I have heavy biceps, but not in the realm of overly large.
 I had worked with Glenda online before I got there, she knew my size.
Every night that curvy woman and I had to talk the other into staying the course. She had flown in from Tampa. I had flown in from Canada, after flying from MX to Vancouver to visit friends.
It would have cost either one of us a fortune to try to re- book our flights. For someone who proclaims that she is there to help women fit themselves, her tact is sorely missing.
I  Fiercely, strongly suggest that you use Lutterloh and you get in touch with Sonja in NZ she is  so wonderful. I took a hands on class with her in Dallas just shortly before the SFD retreat. I had already booked my trip to Oregon. The Dallas thing popped up and my daughter lives there. So it was cheap and easy for me.
 I have  a PR friend that lives in Norfolk. She uses Lutterloh almost exclusively for her dressmaking business. She has made some lovely things including a wedding gown for a plus sized women.
Send me a PM and I will put you in touch with her.
She and I Skyped so she could advise me on fitting.

That sounds like exactly the sorts of things I fear. While I'm thick skinned enough to not be hurt by someone pointing out a measurement disparity, or saying that I have a large tummy or whatever (I do, so I don't get offended when people trying to help me fit recognise it too!) but a system that says it can fit "everyone" and then does the opposite does not sound pleasant.

Is Lutterloh about fit though? I thought it was more about drafting different patterns. I'm more looking for a sloper as i'm confident in being able to make the adjustments I want myself (and the Lutterloh designs aren't my style).