The Sewing Place

reliable pattern for homemade face masks

annieeg

reliable pattern for homemade face masks
« on: April 21, 2020, 11:24:59 AM »
Hi,
I'm sure there's already one on the forum, but I can't seem to find it..
Does anyone have a link or recommendation for home-made face masks?
(its for me to use when shopping, rather than NHS standard).
Many thanks in advance.
Annie

Greybird

annieeg

Re: reliable pattern for homemade face masks
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »
Thanks @Greybird  :D

SkoutSews

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2020, 14:22:51 PM »
I used the Olson mask pattern and the unity point instructions. There's a video on YouTube, but it takes ages as the guy making the mask is painfully slow at sewing seams and trimming threads  :S

The pattern and instructions are aimed at novice sewers. If the pieces are cut out of double thickness fabric then fewer pattern pieces are needed. I found the mask too large. Using a 1.5cm SA instead of 1cm gave a better fitting mask. For the elastic, I used a continuous loop of quarter inch elastic to go round the head instead of hair ties behind each ear.
The original thread was https://thesewingplace.org.uk/index.php/topic,9587.60.html and you'll find more information there. As it was in the Café section it got lost.

SkoutSews

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 14:57:22 PM »
This is how not to do it!  0_0

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 19:36:57 PM »
I used this pattern.

https://www.sewmuchmoore.com/product/face-mask-pattern/

I initially used a 400 thread count cotton sheet for the lining thinking it was soft and tightly woven but I then bought some Japanese cotton gauze that’s a looser weave and much more wearable.

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 22:24:48 PM »
I'm using the Mimi-G oattern. The adult female size fits me and DH. I've used 2 layers of tightly woven cotton. I added a bias channel across the nose, into which I push a pipe cleaner, doubled & twisted, which makes it possible to get a good seal to the nose bridge. I tried adding a layer of non- woven fabric as an extra layer inside on one mask, wore it shopping yesterday and found I couldn't breathe!
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

BrendaP

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 22:44:45 PM »
As I understand it the main requirement to make a facemask reasonably effictive is that you use dipryl fabric for one of the layers.  Dipryl is the non-woven facric that gets used in upholstery underneath (in lieu of the sacking traditionally used), for cheap cushion pads and for the bags to store expensive shoes/handbags.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Lachica

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 22:58:40 PM »
I used Lidl's cleaning cloth (like J cloth) as the non- woven, I could breathe ok through it but by the time it was inside 2 layers of cotton & I was moving around, I just couldn't get enough air in. The mask was sucking onto my face as I inhaled, so I obviously achieved a good airtight seal, just s bit too good to allow any exertion :o
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2020, 22:59:09 PM »
I put a layer of medium weight (non-woven) interfacing in mine.

annieeg

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2020, 23:05:21 PM »
I did find a recommendation to use a non-woven interfacing as an interior lining but worried that I wouldn't be able to breathe through it. (I was thinking of vilene.)

Greybird

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2020, 09:16:40 AM »
I can breathe through mine. I also put in a three part overlapping lining with gaps to insert a folded 4 ply Kleenex tissue (also non-woven).

SkoutSews

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
There's a piece on the BBC website today
here
which includes the following quote:

"Dr Finola O'Neill, a GP from Devon and co-founder of the Masks4All campaign in the UK, which has attracted the support of more than 100 medics, stresses that homemade masks are not medical masks and urges people against including homemade filters."

They are certainly a lot quicker to make without a filter 'compartment'.

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 12:28:45 PM »
Here's a pic of the McCalls M8169 Face Cover.  Its quite easy to make (I used double layer closely woven cotton as they recommend).  It gapes a bit at the sides and I thought of including a channel for elastic thread at each side to see if I could tighten it a bit, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary?
Any comments most welcome.
Thanks,
Annie

BrendaP

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 13:52:52 PM »
I did find a recommendation to use a non-woven interfacing as an interior lining but worried that I wouldn't be able to breathe through it. (I was thinking of vilene.)
Sew in Vilene should be OK.  I'm not sure that the glue from the fusible stuff would be good to breath through.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.