The Sewing Place

reliable pattern for homemade face masks

Vezelay

Re: reliable pattern for homemade face masks
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2020, 14:07:52 PM »
Here's a pic of the McCalls M8169 Face Cover.  Its quite easy to make (I used double layer closely woven cotton as they recommend).  It gapes a bit at the sides and I thought of including a channel for elastic thread at each side to see if I could tighten it a bit, but I'm wondering if this is really necessary?
Any comments most welcome.
Thanks,
Annie

I now make mine (for family and friends including a practice nurse) with side channels for elastic. Downside is it takes more elastic, upside is that the sides are a better fit. Also the elastic can be shortened or replaced easily.

After trying a few patterns I now use this https://hellosewing.com/face-mask-sewing-pattern/ - but the pattern pdf is strangely small so I use the large size and 1/4" seam allowance instead of 1/2".

I also use this one https://youtu.be/zz0YpY6VqVU - there is a link to the written instructions.

They both have filter pockets and wire casings (hellosewing one wires can be removable).

I've had problems finding suitable elastic and wire  - am waiting on some plus pipe cleaners from eBay. I have tons of old sheets and duvet covers as well as fat quarter offcuts so haven't needed to buy fabric.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2020, 20:41:25 PM »
Having read lots of conflicting articles about the pro’s and con’s of homemade fabric masks, I decided that comfort inc. breathability would be an important factor for my home-made masks as they are obviously not going to be as effective as a medical grade mask against someone coughing directly in your face. However, hopefully, if I can keep a distance when out shopping, it should provide a reasonable protection.

I use a Japanese cotton gauze fabric for the lining as it’s very soft but is a much less tightly woven cotton than the 400 thread count cotton sheet I initially used. My mark 3 Mask is very comfortable to wear and I’ve been able to wear it for an hour whilst out shopping without having to take it off or fiddle with it. I bought 2 m of the gauze fabric so it should enable me to make quite a few masks.

jintie

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2020, 20:45:39 PM »
The science on facemasks is that they only stop you from spreading germs.
Rottweiler with scissors

Vezelay

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 21:03:00 PM »
That's true. And surely a good reason for advocating their use. Although logic is telling me that if it stops my germs going out it must have at least a small effect on germs coming in.

I'll wear mine in Tesco's tomorrow morning

annieeg

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 23:09:18 PM »
@WildAtlanticWay
Could you please tell me where you get japanese gauze,?
Thanks,
Annieeg

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2020, 08:28:42 AM »
@annieeg

https://www.fabricinspirations.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=Japanese+gauze

They’re based in Nottingham and when I ordered from them in March they posted out the fabric the next day.

annieeg

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2020, 09:48:50 AM »
@WildAtlanticWay
Thanks for the link.  Very tempting shopping opportunity on that site! :)

Puzzler

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2020, 10:21:12 AM »
https://www.sewcanshe.com/blog/simple-step-by-step-tutorial-for-the-olson-mask-pattern

I haven't watched the above yet but it's just been posted on our group's FB page. Apparently we have enough bags and scrub hats. Disposable gowns and masks are the order of the day.  Not sure who will be receiving and wearing the masks.

WildAtlanticWay

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2020, 16:22:15 PM »
I’d love to make a mask like this one and wear it when out shopping.  0_0
Maybe I could sew a face on one?

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]