The Sewing Place

New sewing machine trouble

Penabby

New sewing machine trouble
« on: April 29, 2020, 13:12:24 PM »
Hi all, my first post. Thank you for allowing me to join. I am not new to using a machine, I know the basics and have used on and off most of my life. I decided to buy a new sewing machine because of isolation I have more time on my hands and sewing has always been one of those things I have always wanted more time to get into. I bought a Bernette sew and go 7 from Singer outlet recently, it cost me £280. The first time I used it I had problems. It wasn't sewing right, the stitching was wrong. It seemed to me that the bobbin tension was wrong when you pulled from the bobbin it was as loose as anything. Anyway after hours of trying things, reading, watching videos I got fed up with it and thought, this isnt right, I shouldnt have so much trouble with a brand new machine, I should be able to just go on it and sew right? I have decided to send it back and have messaged them 5 times now, with no reply as yet. I guess they may be busy, but that has peed me off too, so won't be buying from them again. I have been having a read on here on what people recommend (wished I had done that before buying), and found a Janome 5060QDC for £399, I like the look of it and feel its something I can grow into. I would love to hear your thoughts on my troubles and recommendations. Thanks for looking.
The mind is everything, what you think you become - Buddha.

KayK

Re: New sewing machine trouble
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 14:04:47 PM »
Hello there!
First, how long have you had the machine?  If you have had it less than 30 days you are entitled to send it back, even if there are no problems and you just dont like it.  Does it have a guarantee that you have activated?

The feel of a bobbin thread is slightly different from a top loading bobbin (usually feels quite loose), to one that sits in a case underneath, and please excuse me if you think I am teaching you suck eggs!  Sometimes there is a teeny weeny piece of thread stuck somewhere which causes all sorts of glitches.

Yes, you should be able to sew straight away on a new machine, but in reality they sometimes take a little 'fettling' before they behave!

Janome are a pretty reliable brand of sewing machine, and is often more useful to buy from a 'bricks and mortar' store as they have their reputation to keep up - a lot of them are still open for online orders.

@Iminei is very good with the 'sending it back' sort of thing!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Penabby

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 14:21:24 PM »
Hello there!
First, how long have you had the machine?  If you have had it less than 30 days you are entitled to send it back, even if there are no problems and you just dont like it.  Does it have a guarantee that you have activated?

The feel of a bobbin thread is slightly different from a top loading bobbin (usually feels quite loose), to one that sits in a case underneath, and please excuse me if you think I am teaching you suck eggs!  Sometimes there is a teeny weeny piece of thread stuck somewhere which causes all sorts of glitches.

Yes, you should be able to sew straight away on a new machine, but in reality they sometimes take a little 'fettling' before they behave!

Janome are a pretty reliable brand of sewing machine, and is often more useful to buy from a 'bricks and mortar' store as they have their reputation to keep up - a lot of them are still open for online orders.

@Iminei is very good with the 'sending it back' sort of thing!

Thank you for your reply. I have only had it about a week and have 14 days to return I think. I really appreciate any help and don't worry about teaching me to suck eggs because I realise my knowledge is lacking. I have fiddled around with this machine for hours and really just want it gone now, I have boxed it up and have no intention of getting it back out. I do not have any sewing shops near me, but will have a look at what is available, thank you.

Addiscomber

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 15:04:53 PM »
How disappointing for you. I know nothing about that particular Janome, but they are well thought of, and I cannot recall anybody having problems with one (other than operator error!).

Missie

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 16:15:00 PM »
Welcome, hope you enjoy being here with us.

Just a thought, but have you made sure that the bobbin is in the correct way?  It is easily done (yep, done it myself!!!) and the stitching will be all wrong and loose.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 16:15:02 PM »
Welcome to the forum @Penabby:drink: :cake:

The only time I've had bobbin tension problems with my machine is when the bobbin isn't seated correctly or the thread has undone itself from the little direction threader thingy. If you've got the hump with it though it's probably best to use your 14 day cooling off period and send it back.  :(
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

coffeeandcake

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 17:24:22 PM »
Hi, welcome to TSP.  I was thinking the same as Missie...

Penabby

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 18:45:34 PM »
Thank you all so much for your welcomes and replies. I think I am going to like it here. I hope to learn from this and am glad I will have all your brains to pick with my new machine  :)

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 10:19:08 AM »
Actually @Penabby  you should be able to put something under the foot and it just chug away as soon as you get it out of the box.  If I get a rattle under the foot, it's usually because  it's not threaded correctly and generally this happens after I've had something  sucked down under the plate, must affect the threading.

You're not happy, even it works tomorrow you won't be happy, send it back.

Also be very very careful  when you do get your new machine, they have a habit of multiplying.  I only had one when I joined, I've got six now and I'm well down on that table of ownership.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Penabby

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 10:50:16 AM »
I rethreaded it tons of times, changed threads, read the manual over and over. I think it was faulty. Anyway it's going back today, costing me a fortune to return by courier. Think I am going to go with the Janome, just eager to get it now and start to play. Thanks all again.

Iminei

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 11:48:38 AM »
Hi there Pennaby and welcome to TSP

Where did you buy the machine from?
Was it a bricks and mortar or online shop??

Either way they should still be operating on some basis ...

Have you had any reply to your emails yet?

I know a lot of places are operating on a one man basis or via technology from their personal homes (My Insurance broker) so you may not get a phone call answered but they should still be checking emails.

State emphatically that you are not happy with the machine and under The Consumer Rights Act 2015  you are going to repackage, and return the machine to them for a full refund.

Then have fun researching for your new machine ... Both KayK and Puzzler have had trouble with brand new (and very expensive) machines ... KayK's has just been resolved and Puzzler is on her way.

Read all about it here

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 11:52:00 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Penabby

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 12:00:56 PM »
Hi there Pennaby and welcome to TSP

Where did you buy the machine from?
Was it a bricks and mortar or online shop??

Either way they should still be operating on some basis ...

Have you had any reply to your emails yet?

I know a lot of places are operating on a one man basis or via technology from their personal homes (My Insurance broker) so you may not get a phone call answered but they should still be checking emails.

State emphatically that you are not happy with the machine and under The Consumer Rights Act 2015  you are going to repackage, and return the machine to them for a full refund.

Then have fun researching for your new machine ... Both KayK and Puzzler have had trouble with brand new (and very expensive) machines ... KayK's has just been resolved and Puzzler is on her way.

Read all about it here

Thank you Iminei. I have heard back now and a courier will be coming to pick it up today. It was an online store, Singer outlet. I know you all recommend buying from bricks and mortar shops, but I don't think that's an option for me at the moment. There are no shops near to me and those that are the southwest do not really have what I am after, I did have a look. I am thinking of buying from Sewing Machines Direct. I have had a look on the forums and people seem to recommend them.

StitchinTime

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
@Penabby I notice you are in Devon - have you considered Exeter Sewing Machine Co? They are a bricks and mortar shop (for when the time comes) and a Janome stockist.

Greybird

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 12:22:55 PM »
I have bought from Sewing Machines Direct and Hobkirk Sewing Machines, both online. My experience with both was good.

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 12:28:52 PM »
I bought my overlocker from Sewing Machines Direct and they were brilliant.  Very helpful before I bought it, efficient in sending it, and then I didn't need to contact them again!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.