The Sewing Place

Your oldest garment

jen

Your oldest garment
« on: April 29, 2020, 20:14:50 PM »
Batting off another thread, I wondered what is the oldest piece of clothing still in regular use y'all have. I think mine is a dressing gown I bought round about 1973.

Tamnymore

Re: Your oldest garment
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 20:36:24 PM »
I have scarf a school friend gave me in about 1971.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

wrenkins

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 20:51:46 PM »
Do school ties count? School scarf?

Dress I was wearing the night I met DH and the shirt he was wearing.  0_0 I love that dress and if I could get into it I would still wear it. I'm always on the look out for a similar pattern.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Mick

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 21:12:33 PM »
I still have the shoes i got married in, 37 years ago.

And yes I still wear them.

Ploshkin

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 21:12:48 PM »
Ive got a couple of cotton shirts that i made in the early eighties.  I still wear them in the summer in the garden.
Life's too short for ironing.

Efemera

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 21:48:32 PM »
My dressing gown must be over 20 years old... I wear it every day. I have a dress I wore in 1970, I couldn’t wear it now...it’s a bit like me... it’s elastic’s gone!

Lachica

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 00:01:56 AM »
I have an Indian print circle skirt from about 1979. It's been in the alteration pile for a while as the waist seems to have shrunk ><
Mary
2020 stash: not gonna count, not gonna feel guilty.

mudcat

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 01:56:32 AM »
I have some old t-shirts from the 90s but they aren't in regular use or really any use at all.  I don't know why I still have them. Probably nostalgia.  They are from Spring Training games logo'd with my favorite baseball team (SF Giants).

I also have a bunch of fancy Glima 3/4 sleeve t-shirts from about 10-12 years ago that I had stopped wearing but actually rotated through them each 2-3 times this winter.   

Probably the oldest thing is a terry cloth robe I made in 2003.  I wear it regularly in the winter when it's cooler.  It got a long rip in it a couple of years ago and I was going to replace it but in the end I did a little darning so it's still in use.

I also have some scarves that are 20-30 years old but again not really in use.  I keep thinking I'm going to try to incorporate scarves more into my wardrobe but never quite get around to it.

BrendaP

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 09:00:11 AM »
Like several of you I have a dressing gown/housecoat which dates back to the early ninties at least.  It's very thin/lightweight and I only wear it occasionally but over the years it has been usefull to pack in an overnight bag.  It was a Christmas present from Terry, and the girls were young enough to help him wrap the padded hanger separately, winding the paper around the hook so not disguised at all!

I also have some scarves, kept for sentimental reasons.  One belonged to my Mum who died in 1989 and the other was my Granny's, she died in 1969.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

snoozi soozi

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2020, 09:34:29 AM »
The oldest item of clothing which hasn't been demoted which I wear very regularly is a long sleeved tshirt, I bought it from Gudrun Sjoden about nine years ago. It wasn't cheap, for what it is, I paid about 30 quid, but it is worth every penny, it hasn't faded or lost shape  :)

I have regular clear-outs  ;)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

Helen M

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2020, 09:37:38 AM »
I still have an M&S kimono style dressing gown from 1976. I love it and as it's made from a black/ivory/tan sort of fair isle print sweater knit fabric I wear it only in winter (although that is probably more than half the year as I love its warmth!). I treat it with kid gloves!

I also have a dress from, I think 1994 (I have photos somewhere which will have the date on the back), which was put back in the wardrobe for warmer days yesterday. It's bang up todate this year as it's a midi length flared button through in a ditsy print. I'm going to shorten it by about 1 1/2" as it was always a bit long even though it was a petite size but I'm only 5'1" and want to wear it with flats. I also want to nip in the neck edge to accomodate my square shoulders which at the time I never realised existed! I'm looking forward to being in fashion again!

Both still have the M&S 'St Michael' labels attached!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 10:32:50 AM by Helen M »
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Gernella

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »
I think, it's a silk jacket that I don't wear often but I do wear.  My mother bought  the fabric from Hong Kong in the late 80's and was a bit miffed that I had made a jacket instead of a dress.  That saved its life, it still fits me, even better at the moment.  It's not that long ago I took the shoulder pads out.

Probably if the fabric hadn't been bought by mum it would have gone some time ago.

I do still have my pink lace bridesmaid dress from l969, but it doesn't fit and if it did fit, would probably show my knickers if I only leaned over slightly :S
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

wrenkins

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2020, 10:14:10 AM »
Oh! I forgot about my white M&S overshirt from the early nineties! Still looked like new until it had an episode with something catchie in the washing machine.  :'( It can and will be rebuilt as it still gets the occasional compliment).

Lot of olde worlde M&S being mentioned don't you notice?!?!?! Vintage pants anyone?  :|
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

So Chic

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »
I have a lambskin jacket that I bought in 1971 and I still wear it when it's very cold.  I also have a couple of pairs of shoes that are nearly twenty years old.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Greybird

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2020, 10:24:06 AM »
Somewhere in the loft I have a pair of shoes that I bought in Amsterdam on a school trip in 1962. They would still be wearable, bunions notwithstanding!