The Sewing Place

What are your top tips and must haves?

Penabby

What are your top tips and must haves?
« on: April 30, 2020, 20:11:33 PM »
Hi all. I'm a novice with a little experience of using a machine. I have my new machine coming this weekend. During this crisis, I have not been able to work, and being a bit of a workaholic I need something to do. I have always been a bit crafty when time allows and would love to really get into sewing. My inspiration was mask making with lots of old bit of material I have, but that has just got me a bit obsessed with everything I want to do! I have spent ages watching videos, reading posts on here and getting tons of ideas. In the long run, I think a sewing course would be a good idea for me and will do that when we get back to normal. I would love for you all to give me a list of your top must-haves as I am so tempted to just buy everything! Also your top tips for me as a novice sewer.

What are your must-haves?
What are your top tips for a beginner?
The mind is everything, what you think you become - Buddha.

BrendaP

Re: What are your top tips and must haves?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 21:43:48 PM »
Must haves for sewing, other than machines.

Sharp scissors - 8-10 inches for cutting out and small embroidery scissors for snipping threads.
 :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: :fabric: and  :thread: :thread: :thread:

along with enthusiasm and a willingness to learn.  Time is good too.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 21:45:12 PM »
Don’t expect to make something straight out of the pattern packet and expect it to fit, sewing and fitting are two different things. Pressing at each stage is important to get a decent finish. Learn how to choose a pattern, how to choose fabric... all the  boring but necessary stuff first, it will save time and grief in the long run. There’s lots of experience here so just ask.

Acorn

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2020, 22:02:25 PM »
I should warn you that when I joined this forum I had just two sewing machines.  Now I have six...  :|
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

BrendaP

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2020, 22:56:14 PM »
I should warn you that when I joined this forum I had just two sewing machines.  Now I have six...  :|
Same here :vintage: :vintage: :vintage: :sew: :sew: :sew:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 22:59:11 PM »
I've gone from one to four.  :vintage: :vintage: :sew: :sew:  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Ellabella

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2020, 23:05:03 PM »
I’ve only got three, I need to go shopping  :D

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2020, 23:09:31 PM »
I've always thought that sewing divides neatly into three equally important parts. Cutting, stitching and pressing as you go. None is more important than the others.

Don't watch the needle going up and down. It knows what to do and you don't need to keep an eye on it. Line up the edge of your fabric at a marked point on the machine and watch that you keep it there as you stitch.

Learn when it's time to stop. If you think "I'll just do this before I stop", that's when things start to go wrong because you're too tired and you'll have to unpick it all tomorrow.

toileandtrouble

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2020, 23:22:58 PM »
Measure twice, cut once.  Old, but oh so true.
Yarn down:  1000g
Fabric down:  29m

badgermat

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2020, 02:27:37 AM »

Patience.

That's always my undoing :(

bm

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2020, 03:37:59 AM »
Read. First the manual to the machine when it arrives. Then, before you start, read the instructions for whatever you're making.

Don't expect perfection out of the box. Practice makes better, not perfect.  ;)

Try different types of sewing. Garments, simple quilting, home decor or craft sewing. You might be surprised by which you like best and which you do best. Not always the same.

Learn the difference between pressing and ironing. Big difference.

Have fun, make mistakes, learn, grow.  :toast:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Penabby

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2020, 08:40:06 AM »
Fantastic advice, thank you! I only plan on one machine, I don't have room for more. Space is a thing for me, I have a little study that I could convert to sewing, but not a big table for cutting, just a round kitchen one and a fold-down one in the living room. I need a bigger house.
The mind is everything, what you think you become - Buddha.

UttaRetch

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »
If you can join a sewing class, that would be the best thing but a sewing manual or two is always useful.  Amongst my 'go to' are The sewing book by Alison Smith.  This is book is an introduction to sewing and update of the previous edition, which still holds good.  My main book is another by Alison Smith that is devoted to garment making called Dressmaking: the complete step-by-step guide.  There is some overlap between the two, but don't favour this over the first.

For essentials:
a tape measure;
hand sewing needles and needle threaders;
a metre stick;
seam guages;
tailor's chalk;
a good, sharp pair of fabric cutting scissors;
fine pins;
an iron (I prefer a heavy, dry iron over a steam model, BUT this is not so easy to find unless you spring for an expensive tailor's one and is not necessary in your case).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 09:02:54 AM by UttaRetch »

Acorn

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2020, 09:02:29 AM »
Fantastic advice, thank you! I only plan on one machine, I don't have room for more. Space is a thing for me, I have a little study that I could convert to sewing, but not a big table for cutting, just a round kitchen one and a fold-down one in the living room. I need a bigger house.

I don't think we've ever persuaded anyone to buy a bigger house for their sewing... yet...  ;)
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Gernella

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2020, 09:40:58 AM »
I had one machine for years and it did everything I wanted, more than what I needed really as I'm not into embroidery.  Even now I still use my main machine for most things.

I've had many years of sewing and even now can still find time to do the little cock-ups. Just have to get over them.  The amount of stuff on the internet now is wonderful for showing you, although they tend to use nice easy fabric, when perhaps yours isn't.

I bought a cardboard cutting out board around 1992 that is still going strong.  Saves your dining roomy table from pin scratches.

The one thing I do like about it, I get deep frowns from himself when I spend money but when sewing stuff comes through the door, never bats an eyelid.  Saves you an absolute fortune over the years, just don't get conned into doing stuff for other people
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included