The Sewing Place

What are your top tips and must haves?

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: What are your top tips and must haves?
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2020, 09:44:57 AM »
I was going to suggest a cardboard cutting out board, but I went to look for a link, and can't find one  :(

My bestest recent discovery is wondertape - it's a double sided sticky tape that washes out.  I find it invaluable for some bits on stretchy fabric especially.

Speaking of stretchy fabric, an overlocker is brilliant if you want to sew jersey etc.  I couldn't believe how easy it made things.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2020, 10:11:43 AM »
I don't think we've ever persuaded anyone to buy a bigger house for their sewing... yet...  ;)

What about Lowena???

She and her OH went from a diddy 3 bedroom cottage to a 5 bedroom mansion ....
Only then she chickened out and only has the tiniest room for her sewing >:)

@Penabby   ... I cant really help you with The Lightside, I'm a Darksider through and through ...

but Craftsy, now know as Bluprint, have very good classes, some free, in lots of disciplines ...

and as a beginner ... My advice is to try and resist sewing .. For example if you were a Darksider, a double bed quilt for your first project, as almost everybody wants to (and some do  -<) ... it will overwhelm you, and put you off for life!

What would the lightside equivalent be ?? A boned ballgown?? A sequined cocktail dress???
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 10:17:23 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Missie

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2020, 10:24:35 AM »
Have the right fabric for your pattern, get the best scissors you can afford and do not use your fabric scissors for cutting paper; have the right pins for the job, make sure you mark your fabric properly with relevant notches etc and make sure to match them properly; hand baste any tricky parts; press as you go.

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2020, 10:36:17 AM »
@Iminei is right  :| it's not a mansion but it is a bigger house and one of the reasons for moving was to have a dedicated room for sewing  :D
I too only do Dark side projects and find that time, patience and money are the 3 essentials. Good luck.
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2020, 10:53:06 AM »
@Iminei is right  :| it's not a mansion but it is a bigger house and one of the reasons for moving was to have a dedicated room for sewing  :D
I too only do Dark side projects and find that time, patience and money are the 3 essentials. Good luck.

There you said it, dark side needs more money :devil:

This is why I am trying to resist a total conversion to the dark side, I only have my toes wet

Lowena

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2020, 11:01:56 AM »
@Celia but you only need one machine  ;)
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 11:15:37 AM »
This is why I am trying to resist a total conversion to the dark side, I only have my toes wet

But you know how to boil a frog right ???

Are you sure the waters only up to your toes ????
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Penabby

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2020, 11:27:21 AM »
The dark side is quilting, right? I have lots to learn. :|
The mind is everything, what you think you become - Buddha.

Greybird

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2020, 11:31:36 AM »
That's right - and there are lots of us who don't!

Celia

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2020, 12:28:50 PM »
That's right - and there are lots of us who don't!

Don’t have lots to learn?

Or don’t quilt?

I am teasing you :P :loveit:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 13:20:30 PM by Celia »

Surest1tch

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2020, 12:48:05 PM »
First of all you need to get to know your machine and what it can do, when you've done that you'll need a decent steam iron, a large pair and a small pair of the best quality scissors you can afford, a notepad and pen so you can take notes of what you've done and how you've had to alter it. See how you get the on and if you like what you're doing we'll try and help you on to the next stage but be warned it does become a bit of an obsession.

annieeg

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 12:59:19 PM »
... but be warned it does become a bit of an obsession.

You can say that again ;) ;)

UttaRetch

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 13:18:11 PM »
I don't think we've ever persuaded anyone to buy a bigger house for their sewing...
I seem to remember that @Iminei jokingly suggested when it was being decided what categories the new forum should have, 'links to estate agents'.  :D

Penabby

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2020, 13:39:04 PM »
I just got some Fiskars fabric scissors that arrived today, they were only £10 from someone on Etzy, but are rather small. I need some larger ones, does anyone recommend any that are not too expensive? I have noticed they can be a lot of money and I don't want to make a mistake with something so important.

Penabby

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2020, 13:41:34 PM »
See how you get the on and if you like what you're doing we'll try and help you on to the next stage but be warned it does become a bit of an obsession.

That's great thank you. Obsession is good with me  :)