The Sewing Place

Lemons or Lemonade? The Joy of Contrast

Deafoldbat

Lemons or Lemonade? The Joy of Contrast
« on: April 30, 2020, 20:31:01 PM »
For many years, I have spent Sunday afternoons with a friend, sewing Linus quilts. We have a stash of 'stuff' - leftovers, donations, why-did-I-buy-this, and all stations in between. Naturally, at the moment our meetings are suspended. I have half the stash, arbitrarily consigned, to carry on sewing.

What do you do with a pile of fabric which has been randomly selected - a few gems such as a FQ with only a little square cut out, quite a bit of green and sh*t brown, hardly any blue, some acid yellow, a few scraps of red, a bit of purple, and a few neutrals?

I started with a plain 9-patch, and progressed through variations all based on a 3x3 grid. After I'd made 18 blocks, I decided to repeat each block so that I had pairs, one with a light background, one with a dark background. They will become a quilt, but I thought it might be of interest to look at these pairs and see how changing the value placement changes the whole look of a block. Not all of them have worked but that is interesting too. Why don't they work?  I have photographed them and they can be seen at the link below. Feel free to like or dislike them, I won't be offended.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ne6TQBVTcpmDU5PM7
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 11:13:19 AM by Iminei »

Lowena

Re: Lemons or Lemonade?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 20:51:06 PM »
Wow. Those blocks are really impressive. I love them all. Well done you
Triumph of hope over experience :D

BrendaP

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 21:40:13 PM »
That's a brilliant way of showing how important the contrast of light and dark is.  IMO the most impressive is the pair with one in dark red/blue, the other cream and brown.   :loveit:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2020, 13:50:17 PM by BrendaP »
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Iminei

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 10:26:23 AM »
Lovely @Deafoldbat  ...

But you stopped naming the blocks  :( which is a pity as I see a couple of BOM contenders in there ...
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Deafoldbat

Re: Lemons or Lemonade? The Joy of Contrast
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2020, 18:57:38 PM »
@Iminei I've put names on all of them now.

And...

How does adding a frame change the look? Does the whole lot put together make your eyes go funny?

more pics here https://photos.app.goo.gl/JsouF1VuPQBAGZVD6

No fabric was purchased intentionally for this project.   :o

Iminei

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 09:54:57 AM »
WOW ... Youve been busy!!!!!!

Loving it!

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Pearl

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 10:03:08 AM »
They look fabulous together.  Inspirational.  I particularly like the Ohio star variations.

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 10:30:36 AM »
I think Ohio Star is my favourite block
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Acorn

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »
That looks wonderful - real, proper, traditional patchwork using up bits and pieces.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 18:58:53 PM »
Thank you ladies. It turned out a lot better than I expected when I started.

using up bits and pieces
And there's still a whole pile of bits left! :S

'the pair with one in dark red/blue, the other cream and brown'
@BrendaP - you mean the Milky Way blocks? I thought the red/blue combo was a disaster - too 'in your face', but it improved no end with a green frame, and mixed in with the rest it seems okay.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 19:03:41 PM by Deafoldbat »