The Sewing Place

May's BOM - Baby Bargello

Puzzler

Re: May's BOM
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »
Love the fabrics you using, @wrenkins. Nice job on the block too.

Iminei

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 08:58:30 AM »
TWO blocks this month ladies .... with an option of a third if you want to go down the miniature route.

And a lil bit of homework with the layering and quilting ... By Autumn we need all your blocks to be ready to assemble so quilting the odd one when you have time will be an excellent use of all the extra time we currently find ourselves with.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

wrenkins

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 09:07:26 AM »
My bargello does not want to be made!
First it measured itself wrong and then I sewed three, yes THREE, strips of pieces with no bobbin. Did you hear the bad words?!?!?! I reckon that if I ever do manage to get bobbin and soul together it'll come out somewhere nearish to 10.5" maybe. Who knows? I can always add a bit design element on. 
At the moment it's on the table and I look at it as I pass by.  8)  :[
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Lowena

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2020, 10:33:47 AM »
@Iminei do we have to do qayg? Can we just make it properly the usual way?
I only ask because my blocks are rarely accurate enough to do qayg easily. They are often unsquare squares.... A design feature which can't be disguised when qayging
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:37:53 AM by Lowena »
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Celia

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2020, 10:42:00 AM »
Thanks @Iminei    I am all started my tube is made and I am ready to go. Really like the idea of this one.

@Lowena i think you could be right about less sewing machines, I have put all of mine away except one and I am getting on better and have more enthusiasm.  I can’t say just one machine as the one I am using is straight stitch only so I might need another one at some time.

Another plus point is I don’t have to remember which machine I used for the last block so hopefully the seam allowances will all be the same.

wrenkins

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2020, 10:46:17 AM »
Update. Freshly bobbined and sewn.
I now have some bananoing which I'm ignoring and it's measuring 12.5" here and there with three more seams to take out and the outside seam allowances of course.
It's all going terribly well.  0_0

ps when I said I was going to bog on till my nose bleeds I didn't mean it literally but guess what? I had a massive nose bleed in the night and had to sleep with the light on (cos that'll work to stop nose bleeds  :[).
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2020, 10:50:58 AM »
One reason I have chosen to make this years BOM a QAYG project is because a lot of people have asked me how to join QAYG blocks over the years ....

but also because a lot of our wonderful 2020 BOM'ers are relatively new to the Darkside and the one thing everyone wants to do when they start P&Q is to make something substantial .... like a double bed quilt! ... I know I did (waaaaay, waaaay back in the mid nineties ... and we know what a nightmare that became!)

The trouble with that is, for a newbie, a double quilt is almost designed to put them off ... even with 7 years of experience now, I could not quilt a double bed top in one piece on my machine, its too big, unwieldy and frankly beyond me.

With QAYG you can twiddle a 12" block around under your presser foot to your hearts content and with a lil care achieve some really lovely results ... True... towards the end of assembling the quilt, it can be a bit unwieldy (double bed sized) but it is still achievable.

And with the size of quilt we will have made at the end of this year, 36" x 48" unless you want to add a border, everyone will have something lovely, finished and usable.

You are far more experienced than some of our BOMers Lowena, and can also hand quilt beautifully ... so you finish your quilt as you wish .. In fact maybe you could make a Hand Quilting tutorial for later this year???

I hope everyone is ok with Mays blocks? and also the layering and quilting process shown at the end of the tut.

Acorn

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2020, 10:57:08 AM »
Absolutely OK @Iminei - and I'm delighted to have it as QAYG, because it's something I've wanted to try for ages, and I suspect I wouldn't have dived in without a push!

Am I right in thinking that the quilting needs to stay a reasonable distance from the edge of the block?  How far would you say?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Iminei

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2020, 11:01:21 AM »
No ... you can quilt right over the edges if you want to ... but bear in mind that when you trim the block to size (12 1/2" UF) you would be cutting your threads

Keep the 1/4" seam allowance around the edges of the block in mind and you'll be fine.

wrenkins

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »

Pearl

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2020, 11:05:37 AM »
I have my twisted Bargello quilt to quilt and have an idea of what I want to do so quilting a 12 inch block will be good practice, I think.   

Lowena

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2020, 12:15:29 PM »
Thanks @Iminei. When I started in 2012 I started with small items like cushion covers and placemats but I understand that people may be more ambitious than I was  :D
I've never got on with a walking foot and although my machine will compensate for bulk I much prefer to hand quilt large items so that's what I will do. Thanks again x
Triumph of hope over experience :D

wrenkins

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2020, 12:32:01 PM »
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

Square as a square thing on rectangle day! I'm having a cuppa before I mend it.  :drink:

« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 13:43:34 PM by Iminei »

Pearl

« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2020, 13:32:29 PM »
Hope there are some Hobnobs left, @wrenkins .

Iminei

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2020, 13:42:34 PM »