The Sewing Place

May's BOM - Baby Bargello

wrenkins

Re: May's BOM
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2020, 13:55:04 PM »
Plenty @Pearl. And Rich Tea but you might have to wrestle me for those.  :S

I love your fabrics.  :loveit:
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Acorn

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2020, 15:43:02 PM »
I've done both - I haven't squared them off properly because they have come up a little bit short, so I need to have a good think about what I'm going to do there.   :thinking:  It may be do-able with very careful narrow seams.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

I put the bright colour in at the wrong point on the bargello one, so it doesn't really look like a heart.  I may have to think of another quilting design when I get to that point.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Lowena

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2020, 17:01:36 PM »
I still can't decide how many colours and how many fabrics I will need overall. It's driving me mad!!
Background....or not ??
Plain....or patterns??
Same fabrics for each blocks..... or not??
How many colours??
It's no good telling me it's my decision..... I follow precise instructions, I don't make fluid decisions  :|
How did you go about choosing?
I can't afford to buy special fabrics as, for once, I have a plastic box half full of fqs and slightly bigger pieces to use up.
Do I actually need larger quantities of fabrics?
Help me please.......it's driving me mad!!
I've discarded the blocks I've done but can't start anew yet. :thinking:
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Deafoldbat

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2020, 18:54:28 PM »
@Lowena - Lemonade! Just make the block of whatever you have. It will be fine!  :devil:

Pearl

« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2020, 19:06:13 PM »
I still can't decide how many colours and how many fabrics I will need overall. It's driving me mad!!
Background....or not ??  I'm not using any of my background fabric this month but I am including white so it's not too crazy
Plain....or patterns??  Are you not using your rainbow colours.  That would be really effective.  Pelenna patchwork have a rainbow bargello cushion which has lots of colours but you could use six or twelve.
Same fabrics for each blocks..... or not??  I'm not because I like scrappy but I am using all Alison Glass fabrics.
How many colours??  All of them!
It's no good telling me it's my decision..... I follow precise instructions, I don't make fluid decisions  :|
How did you go about choosing?  I knew I wanted to use Alison Glass so I bought about 12 fat quarters and then I bought some more, lol.
I can't afford to buy special fabrics as, for once, I have a plastic box half full of fqs and slightly bigger pieces to use up.
Do I actually need larger quantities of fabrics?  You need a stash, lol.
Help me please.......it's driving me mad!!  This is your hobby.  You do it for fun.  (I'm speaking to myself here too.  I have been known to refer to my quilting as "work")
I've discarded the blocks I've done Why?  Are you sure?  If I were you, I'd get some white on white background fabric and stick with the rainbow theme.  For my bargello block, I'm going to have a narrower colour palette, but don't hold me to that. but can't start anew yet. :thinking:

:hug: :hug: :hug:

wrenkins

« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2020, 19:14:46 PM »
I was like that for April @Lowena. I could not get the colours sorted in my head so I just flung something together and it turned out fine.
I set aside a little pile of fabric at the start and unless something drastic happens I'm sticking to those. I may run out so in that case I'll sub in something similar.
I'm using it as a chance to try something different and to improve my accuracy and techniques so while it may not be a thing of beauty, I'll have learnt something by the end of it. So far I've made geese and bargello...both things I've thought about doing many times and didn't bother.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

Iminei

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2020, 11:07:09 AM »
WHAT was wrong with your lovely blocks @Lowena  ???

I thought they were fabulous!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 11:09:21 AM by Iminei »
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Acorn

« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2020, 11:51:41 AM »
I couldn't agree more!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Pearl

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2020, 12:12:09 PM »
The six colours you used on the bright side of your log cabin block would be fab for this month's blocks. @Lowena .

Bjay

« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2020, 12:39:43 PM »
Those blocks ae the ones i really liked. so bright and cheerful .

Any of those colours would be great in a checker board effect -  <3
Trying to find my way on the Dark side

Sheilago

« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2020, 17:43:03 PM »
Ooh love those rainbow blocks - don’t remember seeing those before. They are gorgeous and you must have made them before you knew the significance of 2020 rainbows. Just perfect for a 2020 BOM quilt.  <3

Sheilago

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2020, 19:42:26 PM »
Interesting- have just read the instructions. I’ve never done Bargello before and was thinking to myself, ‘why do you sew a tube only to unpick it? ‘. Then I read the next bit and all became clear  :P

I look forward to trying this, but am trying to get my scrubs done and delivered first , so it might be late in the month before I get round to it.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2020, 19:58:58 PM »
How did you go about choosing?
... for once, I have a plastic box half full of fqs and slightly bigger pieces to use up.

@Lowena Are you still confused? Don't see what's wrong with the blocks you've done so far, maybe you're overthinking it .
Fish out the 'stash', sort it into lights and darks -if you have mediums, assign them to one pile or the other for now- you can always change your mind. Look at what you've used so far in the other blocks and select some of those fabrics then add some new ones. Do this for each new block, so that all the colours will link up. If it looks too busy, remember that sashing will calm it all down, and a collection of blocks will distract the eye from the one you really hate. If you're not sure about a selection, go and do something else for half an hour then come back and have another look. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 goes to hit on the right combo, sometimes you just have to go with the least worst. Sometimes what it really needs is a dash of green, but it's your quilt so you're allowed to leave it out! ;)

wrenkins

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2020, 21:54:33 PM »
Never has  :faints: been more necessary!

I made a right hames of my bargello so I added some scraps to the sides and they weren't big enough so off they came and I patched up some more scraps and sewed one on upside down! I mean really! It's not that difficult.  >< Sake!

I'm covered in wee bits of rippings but my block is complete and I quite like it.

You're right about the sashing calming it down @Deafoldbat. I set my 5 blocks out beside each other and it was nuts. Veh veh busy!!!  :o I have a funny feeling I'm going to love this lil quilt.  <3

Lowena

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2020, 22:12:04 PM »
Thank you everyone.
My problem is that I only have one or at most 2 fqs of any one fabric, so it will look too bitty.
I can't use the fabrics in the rainbow blocks as they've been used up mostly. The blocks are much bigger than I'm used to pls bung for.
I'll have another look.
Triumph of hope over experience :D