The Sewing Place

New Newbie Here...

Martin

New Newbie Here...
« on: May 03, 2020, 11:28:36 AM »
Hello All.

I've just signed up to this forum and this is my first post....

I'm liking the vibe here already, ... having read the Membership Agreement, I can see it's been written with common sense and good humour, ... obviously there's another fan of Bill & Ted in here somewhere!

I've recently started using my vintage Bernina a bit more seriously (now I have lots of time, all of a sudden!), and am enjoying every minute of it. I'm interested in sewing generally, eg, for inspiration, but also to learn the technical aspects of both sewing techniques and sewing machine repair & maintenance. I find the idea that sewing is a woman's activity quite laughable. Speaking as an engineer, I think of sewing as simply engineering with fabrics. I love precision machinery and any technique of creativity. Sewing gives me both of those things plus, I'm sure, contact with others who share those passions.

Thanks for having me.

Martin

Kenora

Re: New Newbie Here...
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 11:36:31 AM »
Hi @Martin - and welcome! Looking forward to seeing what you make in your new found spare time. :)
Minding my P's & Q's in Portreath

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »
Hello Martin - and welcome!

Surest1tch

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2020, 11:54:30 AM »
Hi Martin and welcome, I love the way you explained your attitude to sewing and you are quite right it is in a way a kind of engineering ❤️

Penabby

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2020, 12:29:18 PM »
Hi Martin, nice to meet you!   :)
The mind is everything, what you think you become - Buddha.

UttaRetch

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2020, 12:31:52 PM »
Welcome @Martin.  Grab a  :drink: and go for a wonder.

Efemera

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2020, 12:37:21 PM »
Hello there...

Helen M

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »
Hello Martin and welcome!

Another one in favour of the term 'engineering with fabrics'! It's a bit like describing a 'housewife' (when that term was still in use!) as a 'domestic engineer'......
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  3.0 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 72

Nevis5

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 12:47:31 PM »
hi @Martin  and welcome from me, too  :toast:  So what are you going to engineer on your sewing machine?   ;)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 12:48:03 PM »
Welcome.  Nice to have more men joining. Hope you’ll learn lots.

Silver Rose

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 13:04:39 PM »
Hello Martin and welcome from me too
Still learning

Martin

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 13:17:44 PM »
Thank you all for the welcome messages!

...Another one in favour of the term 'engineering with fabrics'! It's a bit like describing a 'housewife' (when that term was still in use!) as a 'domestic engineer'......
. Hahahaha! When I was at school it was called "Domestic Science"!

...So what are you going to engineer on your sewing machine?   ;)

... My first engineering project was some covers for the ugly electric storage heaters in my flat (only used in summer). Most recently, some pleated curtains for my home-made shelves... about a foot high and 10 feet wide, in 4 sections.  3 completed so-far. Will post a photo when all 4 done!

Martin McCann

Flobear

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 14:02:34 PM »
I find the idea that sewing is a woman's activity quite laughable. Speaking as an engineer, I think of sewing as simply engineering with fabrics. I love precision machinery and any technique of creativity.

Hello and welcome, Martin.

When I was a new house-owner I discovered almost the opposite to what you say above. I was very nervous of using electric tools - it's a 'man-thing' - then reasoned that if I can use a sewing machine then why not another kind of power tool. For the last umpty-ump years I've been drilling holes, sawing wood etc - not necessarily with artisan skill but well enough for my purposes.

Have fun, ask questions, post pics  0_0
Proud new owner of Elvistoo !!

UttaRetch

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 15:30:35 PM »
Hahahaha! When I was at school it was called "Domestic Science"!
Same here, but we girls called it cookery.

Iminei

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2020, 15:45:03 PM »
What did , I think it was @Deafoldbat  say about quilting being a cross between Maths and art ...??

C'mon Deaf help us senile old gits out here ?
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again