The Sewing Place

New Newbie Here...

Helen M

Re: New Newbie Here...
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2020, 16:29:44 PM »
Same here, but we girls called it cookery.

We had neither domestic science or cookery, only needlework which was knitting in the first term then sewing and embroidery for the other 2 terms!
Stash Busting 2024 - Goal: 25 metres
So far:  1.5 metres  ------ Donated : 0 metres
Items decluttered: 55

Deafoldbat

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 19:40:14 PM »
@Iminei Don't think it was me, but I have previously observed that the best use for gepmetry I have found is patchwork.

@Martin In 'my day' it was Domestic Science too, but before then it was called Housecraft. Only the 'dim' ones did DS - if you were 'clever' and did Latin and Maths, it was assumed you were going to have servants to cook and sew on buttons ><. So much for that idea...

Lilian

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 20:47:36 PM »
Hi Martin, welcome  :) It was "Domestic Science" for me at school too. We also had sewing which was making a full uniform, + pleated games skirt, knitted jumper, chefs hat and apron, and an embroidered bag to keep it all in!  :faints:  Hope you have fun here  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Martin

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2020, 03:11:20 AM »
...then reasoned that if I can use a sewing machine then why not another kind of power tool. For the last umpty-ump years I've been drilling holes, sawing wood etc

Good thinking Flobear!
Martin McCann

Martin

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2020, 03:16:28 AM »
... quilting being a cross between Maths and art ...??
I'm not planning to take up quilting, ... but I'm interested in this statement... Can anyone tell me why quilting is a cross between maths & art...?
Martin McCann

Iminei

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2020, 03:28:28 AM »
Nope because the person who said/wrote it wont own up ... Was it @BrendaP  then ???

The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Martin

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2020, 03:33:02 AM »
...the best use for geometry I have found is patchwork.
Very glad to hear someone else using geometry... My favourite material at the moment, has a geometric pattern, with a small repeat (I don't know the correct terms here) on it. I've been using the pattern to get my sewing straight! It's been like sewing with graph paper! ... made it so much easier! ... almost feels like cheating!  ;) Does anyone else do this...?

... if you were 'clever' and did Latin and Maths, it was assumed you were going to have servants to cook and sew on buttons ><. So much for that idea...
  Hahaha! You must have gone to a posh grammar school...?  8)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 03:35:17 AM by Martin »
Martin McCann

BrendaP

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »
I'm not planning to take up quilting, ... but I'm interested in this statement... Can anyone tell me why quilting is a cross between maths & art...?

H Martin, welcome to TSP

I don't think that quote came from me but it's right.

Patchwork has been the main use for what I remember of school geometry (part of maths), but I have also been known to resort to trigonometry occasionally when working out the length of one of the sides of a right angled triangle.    :o

We did half a year needlework (to make a hymn book cover and an apron and cap).  Said apron was then worn for the other half year in cookery classes.  After that we had to choose between the two!  When it came to 4th form (year 10) options we could only have one practical subject  - it was a grammar school.   I often said that they assumed we would marry rich husbands, but they never told us where to find the rich husband!
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Deafoldbat

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2020, 18:53:41 PM »
Many of us here suspect that the main intention of the needlework lessons was to put us off the subject for life. Even those of us who survived that plan still have the mental scars of the dreaded cookery apron...

KayK

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2020, 20:58:44 PM »
Ah yes!  The gingham apron - yellow was mine (I wanted red).  We had domestic science and needlework in the first year.  Parents moved & I got shipped off to an old fashioned grammar school - where we only had Art as our non-academic subject!  Oh and Technical drawing for the boys!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Catllar

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 14:33:11 PM »
Oh Gawd- the cookery apron - mine was green gingham - 12 hand stitches to the inch. Unpicked a million time!]
If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !