The Sewing Place

Sparkly Thread...?

Martin

Sparkly Thread...?
« on: May 04, 2020, 11:47:22 AM »

I hope this is in the right place, if not, Admin, please move accordingly...

I have a requirement for some sparkly carpet. I could probably buy it, but it would cost a fortune. I thought I could simply hand-sew some sparkly threads into a cheap carpet to get the same effect. 

Anyone any experience of this kind of thing? ... any suggestions for the thread...?  Many thanks for any suggestions.
Martin McCann

Bodgeitandscarper

Re: Sparkly Thread...?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 14:11:45 PM »
How big a carpet?  How much patience have you got?  :P

I have no ideas to help you though, sorry!

Iminei

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 14:36:37 PM »
You haven't got a young daughter have you @Martin ???

If you want a sparkly carpet let a young child loose with glitter of your colour choice ...

Hey Presto ... One Sparkly carpet, guaranteed to last years.
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Martin

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 16:07:07 PM »
...If you want a sparkly carpet let a young child loose with glitter of your colour choice ... Hey Presto ... One Sparkly carpet, guaranteed to last years.

That is not a bad idea at all!!! Thank you! It would certainly be a lot less time consuming than sewing thread!   Of course my vacuum cleaner would suck a lot of it up, but then I could just re-sprinkle it when required! ... and presumably glitter is a lot cheaper than sparkly thread!   But you're right, Iminei, I don't have a small child of my own. My niece has got a beautiful one though, maybe I can borrow hers...!
Martin McCann

Gernella

fajita

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 16:24:56 PM »
Sparkly wool knitting

Iminei

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 16:47:09 PM »
For the new Millennium I went a  New Years party as Dorothy, and Glittered up some red court shoes, as you do ... The Glitter was still around a couple of years later, and yes I do vacuum my carpets!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Martin

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 17:36:30 PM »
What about these:...

Thank you Gernella. That's a great selection.
Martin McCann

Missie

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 10:51:16 AM »
You haven't got a young daughter have you @Martin ???

If you want a sparkly carpet let a young child loose with glitter of your colour choice ...

Hey Presto ... One Sparkly carpet, guaranteed to last years.

Definitely lasts for years and appears, in this house at least, as an odd sparkle on the face or hair (and not, that is not my grey hair sparkling) when there has been none around for eons!

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 11:01:43 AM »
That's the trouble - it does last for years and years and lots of it ends up in the sea. Lots of tiny bits of plastic tempting fish to eat it! I have made a point, in the last couple of years, not to buy cards or wrapping paper with glitter on.

Martin

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 12:30:38 PM »
That's the trouble - it does last for years and years and lots of it ends up in the sea. Lots of tiny bits of plastic tempting fish to eat it!
That is a very good point, @Greybird, Thank you for reminding me. I'll have to re-think this now.
Martin McCann

Hummingbird

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 11:16:24 AM »
@Martin if you decide on the adding your own glitter route, you can buy non-plastic biodegradable glitter......