The Sewing Place

closet Case Cielo dress

sewmuchmore

closet Case Cielo dress
« on: April 12, 2020, 18:39:17 PM »
Finally got this finished. Not without it's problems, first I had a bit of an accident with the over locker and managed to cut through one of the pieces so had to order more fabric. Then embroidery machine kept giving me an error message half way through the 3rd panel so debated whether to do the last panel or wait until the repair shop was open. Decided to take the plunge and no error messages so not sure what that was all about.
Anyway, the pattern, I did the size 16 and as is my way didn't try it on until it was nearly constructed. It was far too big and the only way I could reduce the size was to cut 3 inch from the centre front and put in a seam, the back I cut up the middle and made a facing and put buttonholes/buttons all the way up the back. I also topstitched around the facing at the neckline. It now fit so much better and I will probably make more of these, I have some orange denim and will also try out the top with the long sleeves.
The only thing I am not sure about is the bust dart which comes from the armhole, I may move that next time.
It's not easy being this perfekt

Janet

Acorn

Re: closet Case Cielo dress
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 18:44:09 PM »
That's really lovely.   :D
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 19:27:10 PM »
I love that style of dress.. it looks so comfy but stylish... wish I could wear it.

Puzzler

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 07:04:01 AM »
Very well made. Love the embroidery you added.

Nevis5

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 08:27:11 AM »
That looks great, @sewmuchmore   !  I have been pondering about making the dress from this pattern.  I have made the top which I quite like but am not sure about the looseness of the dress.  Hmm.  Looks very comfortable though....

Well done on the save!  I found the top came up big too.  xx

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 09:34:32 AM »
I love it  :loveit:
Willing but not always able :)

snoozi soozi

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 10:13:33 AM »
That looks very cute  :loveit:
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

blackcat001

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 18:25:57 PM »
That's rather lovely

sewmuchmore

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2020, 17:52:36 PM »
@Nevis5 I am pondering on putting darts in the back just to give it a bit more shape. But as I am brick shaped the boxy style suits me.

Janet

coffeeandcake

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 21:38:45 PM »
Lovely. Love the embroidery too :)

Fiona M

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 21:51:18 PM »
I love this  <3

sewmuchmore

Re: closet Case Cielo dress has got a hole, help
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 19:04:00 PM »
I have managed to get a hole in the back of the dress, it is at the side of the 3rd button from bottom, at first I thought it might be the button that was too tight and pulled. But the hole is about 1 1/2 inches away from the button so now need to think how to rectify.
I was thinking patch but that would be obvious, now thinking about cutting the button hole and button band off and inserting a panel down the back with embroidery or possibly follow @annieeg and put a bit of a pleat down the back.
Any body got an ideas?

Janet

charlotte

Re: closet Case Cielo dress has got a hole, help
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 09:59:48 AM »
I have managed to get a hole in the back of the dress, it is at the side of the 3rd button from bottom, at first I thought it might be the button that was too tight and pulled. But the hole is about 1 1/2 inches away from the button so now need to think how to rectify.
I was thinking patch but that would be obvious, now thinking about cutting the button hole and button band off and inserting a panel down the back with embroidery or possibly follow @annieeg and put a bit of a pleat down the back.
Any body got an ideas?

Where is the hole, and how big is it? Could you use fibres from the fabric to do an invisible repair?

sewmuchmore

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 17:03:58 PM »
@charlotte the hole is about the size of a 50p piece in the back of the dress and the fibres are all broken, I think there was a fault in the fabric and have spoken to the shop were I got the fabric and they are going to send me another metre. Not sure yet what I am going to do. I have put a piece of interfacing behind it and used the darning stitch on my machine to mend it but not altogether happy with it.

Janet

charlotte

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 14:58:04 PM »
How odd. Could you add embroidery or matching embroidered patches at both sides? In case you can’t tell, I don’t understand embroidery...