The Sewing Place

Filling for a pincushion

Button Nose

Filling for a pincushion
« on: May 05, 2020, 14:04:12 PM »
I wasn't sure which section to put this in so hope this is okay  :)

I've heard of filling pincushions with sand or sheep's wool. Has anyone tried anything like that? Did your pins prefer it to normal stuffing?

UttaRetch

Re: Filling for a pincushion
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 15:48:59 PM »
Sand will keep the pins sharp, but I don't think the sewing police will come knocking if you decide on something else. There are lots of ideas online for making pincushions.

Greybird

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 15:55:11 PM »
I remember being told that years ago (19th c ?) pincushions used to be filled with dried coffee grounds.

Kwaaked

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 19:43:27 PM »
I use ground walnut that I buy from the pet store.

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 20:14:19 PM »

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 20:21:42 PM »
Anything except polyester fiberfill or batting/wadding. Polyester dulls pins just like it does scissors.

Sharp sand keeps them sharp, wool, natural so it still has lanolin keeps them lubricated and rust free. Steel wool popular as it also sharpens but rusting can be an issue where you have dampness, i.e. much of the UK.  ;) Fine where I am.

When I've taught pincushion classes- yes, there is such a thing- I did a combination of cotton quilt batting and crushed walnut shells. I sort of line the cushion with the batting and put the shells in a little muslin pouch. Stuff with extra batting torn up.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Button Nose

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 13:28:47 PM »
Interesting, thank you. Why walnut shells rather than other nuts shells, do you know?

I would love to go to a pincushion class!  <3

Greybird

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 14:13:24 PM »
They are probably easier to grind up - almonds would be too soft, brazils and hazlenuts too hard. I think ground walnut shells are (or were) used in cosmetics because they can be ground to a very fine powder.

So Chic

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 14:26:39 PM »
I made a small pincushion and filled it with Ground Emery powder which I bought on line.  It sharpens any pins or needles and removes little burrs from the points.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Button Nose

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 18:14:03 PM »
So much to choose from  :)

Thank you, Greybird  :)

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 22:10:16 PM »
Ground walnut shells are hard, fairly non porous and are used as reptile bedding so easy to get, inexpensive and heavy so they give the pincushion a nice heft. Personally I wash them first. Sometimes there's a lot of dust on them. Rinse them in a bowl, drain the excess water with a fine sieve then spread thinly on an edged baking sheet. Pop into a very low oven until completely dry.

You can mix some lavender in with it if you like. Like a tablespoon or two to a cup of walnut shells.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Button Nose

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 13:35:48 PM »
That's very useful, thank you  :)

Button Nose

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2020, 11:33:22 AM »
I got the walnut shells with lavender and made this pincushion which I was wanting to have a go at. It's a bit big but good and sturdy  :)

I had enough filling left over to do a little one, that's not as full so I have to be gentle when putting the pins in.

My pins have never been happier  0_0 , thank you for the advice  :thumbsup:

Efemera

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2020, 11:41:23 AM »
They look great...

Lowena

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2020, 11:49:37 AM »
Where did you get the shells from please?
Triumph of hope over experience :D