The Sewing Place

Duvet Fabric

Saz

Duvet Fabric
« on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »
Hi all.

I'm having issues with finding a duvet cover for my bedroom - just want a nice, slightly unusual print in a high quality cotton fabric, shouldn't be that hard, right?  Well no, shops have lost all originality and everything in a half-interesting print is in a scratchy cheap fabric.  So I'm going to make my own.  Can't be that difficult.  Except I'm lost already because I don't know where to look for 2m wide fabric in liberty-esque/ethnic/tropical prints.........  Help? 

(Also, I'm guessing this forum is the new Sewing Forum for uk?)

BrendaP

Re: Duvet Fabric
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 17:32:34 PM »
A lot of the P&Q fabric suppliers sell 'extra wide' backing fabric which is 80" (2m) or more wide.  Unfortunately most, if not all of them, are the same weight as the P&Q/craft cottons, nowhere near as fine as good sheeting.

Yes, this is the replacement site for the old Sewing Forum, but nothing to do with the old site, and better because the admin are active.  If a problem is encountered it's always looked at promptly.  Also the shock of the old forum disappearing has made a lot us realise just how much we need the group support and consequently it has all come together really well.

Thanks to Iminei, Mr Iminei and Francesca.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 17:40:30 PM »
We're just a new forum, nothing to do with any others. We are not a replacement.

BrendaP

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 18:51:09 PM »
Yes, replacement is the wrong word.  It's nothing to do with any other site.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 19:17:38 PM »
Hi Saz and welcome to the forum.

I would begin by doing a search for extra wide fabric and then drill down from there.  Hope you find something that you like.

Francesca

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 20:17:58 PM »
Yes, replacement is the wrong word.  It's nothing to do with any other site.

Yes sorry to be terse, it's just an important distinction we have to make.

Saz

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 21:16:35 PM »
Hi Saz and welcome to the forum.

I would begin by doing a search for extra wide fabric and then drill down from there.  Hope you find something that you like.

Yeah I did find some sites with extra wide fabric, but it got hella time consuming trying to find a decent quality for bedding (I basically didn't find anything after trawling through way too many sites), just wondered if anyone on here knew of good places to try before I start the arduous Google search again...

Francesca

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 21:20:23 PM »
I do wonder whether you'd have to piece together multiple widths. I bet there is some clever solution or design that means piecing can be used as a design feature.

DementedFairy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 20:53:33 PM »
get thee to ebay, and search 'Egyptian cotton fabric'
C'est moi!