The Sewing Place

sewingj

« on: May 08, 2017, 12:49:31 PM »
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 18:53:03 PM by sewingj »

UttaRetch

Re: Wash first or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
I never washed fabric pre-sewing and only ever sewed wovens.  Nothing has subsequently shrunk in the wash.  :D 

Tamnymore

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 13:04:08 PM »
I wash washable fabrics before cutting out (though not tweed and the like of course!). Although I've not really had a problem with shrinkage there is always the possibility so best not to risk it. I also think it is useful to wash out any special finishes and also to see what the fabric is like after washing.
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lyn-J

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 13:09:47 PM »
Out of the bag: into the washing machine.
That's what I always do.
Cotton jersey is notorious for shrinking - don't know about viscose.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 13:18:05 PM »
I think the only thing I've ever pre-washed is denim, and that's more to get rid of some of the dye.  Mind you, you see my user name...

sewingj

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 13:21:49 PM »
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 18:53:28 PM by sewingj »

Francesca

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 13:31:07 PM »
I always wash everything. Why not? It just seems silly to me to take the risk when it requires you to do so little work to wash it (bung it in, hang it up). Most people who say nothing has ever shrunk on them have just had nothing shrink on them yet and when you do, it's devastating :(

Ellabella

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 13:51:54 PM »
Overlock or zig zag the edges if it's woven and then into the washer, every time. I couldn't bear to put lots of effort into a garment and then find it was too small.

I've had knits shrink considerably before now.

Ploshkin

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 14:05:59 PM »
Just about all my washing goes in the tumble drier which is a devil for shrinking stuff so I do prewash fabric and tumble dry it too.  Even then I have 2 pairs of jeans I've made that are now too short after several washes.
Life's too short for ironing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 14:08:18 PM »
I wash all fabric before using as soon as I get it.  Viscose shrinks quite a lot.  Why waste time and money making something that might shrink.  It also gets rid of excess dye and any finish that might be on the fabric that could cause skipped stitches.

Surest1tch

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 16:39:37 PM »
I always wash before I cut.

DementedFairy

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 20:52:16 PM »
Only if it's smelly, or market stall grubby.  Never had anything shrink, but I don't have a tumble drier.  You guys are RUINING your clothes with the bloody things you know! [And filling the sea with fleece fibres...]
C'est moi!

Ploshkin

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 21:17:58 PM »
 Trouble is, living where I do, I would never get washing dry without a drier.  I first got one after bringing a line of washing back in for the fourth time to spin the rainwater out of it.  I think that was the year we had 103 consecutive days with rain. 

Life's too short for ironing.

BrendaP

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 21:28:59 PM »
I always wash first, mainly because I don't want nasty surprises in a made up garment and partly because who knows where the fabric has been.

It's either line dried or if the weather is very wet it gets hung over the banister rail (same as sheets) where it dries quite quickly - warm air rises don't you know.  I had a tumble dryer when the girls were babies but haven't owned one for years and although I do dislike having wet washing in the house I'm not keen on getting another one.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Francesca

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 22:56:17 PM »
I only got my tumble dryer at Christmas and, as sad as it is, it's changed my life. Washing taking four days to dry, making the house feel cold and damp, I would never go back. I still hang in the summer when I can of course, but I put all fabrics in the tumble dryer so I know they can be tumble dried at a later date.