The Sewing Place

Advice on sewing a net curtain

RosiePosie

Advice on sewing a net curtain
« on: May 06, 2020, 08:14:55 AM »
Good morning everyone.
I recently purchased some material with which to make net curtains. The thing is, it’s very holey (see attached photo) and I was wondering if I could get some advice on the best way to sew/ hem it in order to prevent fraying? Many thanks. Complete novice, by the way!

Iminei

Re: Advice on sewing a net curtain
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 09:10:19 AM »
Oohh ... OOhh Me Miss, Please miss ...

My mum had those very same curtains (in the '70's  :o ) and I still have them packed away in the airing cupboard upstairs!!!
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 09:17:59 AM »
I didn't know you could still get net curtains  :P

Could you cut it along the thicker horizontal line, and the just overlock or zigzag stitch that?  Or maybe bias binding?

RosiePosie

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 09:23:23 AM »
Thanks guys, yes, we’re going retro :P. You wait and see, it’ll be a thing! Iminei, the designs are made from original patterns from the 1900s onwards, so very likely the exact same pattern as your mum’s ones!

Iminei

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 09:25:48 AM »
Well if you wanted a ready made pair ??? ....... They're full length and spanned the full width of the lounge window iirc.

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 10:08:30 AM »
Thanks guys, yes, we’re going retro :P. You wait and see, it’ll be a thing! Iminei, the designs are made from original patterns from the 1900s onwards, so very likely the exact same pattern as your mum’s ones!
I believe a prestigious glossy mag recently   talked about net curtains coming back into fashion.
I live in a narrow lanes and put a net upon the upper front bedroom which means the window can be open all day in the summer and it should inhibit too many flies etc coming in .  Also serves as privacy so the people opposite can't see directly into the room .

Lowena

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 10:17:48 AM »
@Iminei why do you still have old net curtains?!?!
I loathe nets, my Mum had them everywhere.I've never had any in 48years of marriage
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Missie

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2020, 10:23:57 AM »
@Iminei why do you still have old net curtains?!?!
I loathe nets, my Mum had them everywhere.I've never had any in 48years of marriage

Me too.  My mum has them still as she is concerned about people looking in.  She seems to think that if she doesn't have them, people can look into her bedroom (second floor, not overlooked) and see her getting changed.  I have pointed out that the only people would be passers-by and if she can't see them, they can't see her, and she could always just shut the main curtains.  But no she insists on keeping the wretched things.

Iminei

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »
I agree with loathing nets as in those semi transparent nylon things and often wonder why people have nets up in their windows, I never have .... but these were definitely a style statement .. especially in the '70's ... my mum was waaay ahead of the times

@Lowena  ... My mum died of cancer (then pretty much of a death sentence)  when I was 15 years old and I have very little that was hers  .... So I keep.

However if it were to be used again ... then I would be more then happy.

Greybird

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2020, 11:46:21 AM »
Doesn't matter how much they come back, they will never find a home at my windows. I always hated the way they interfere with my vision seeing out. Being long sighted they always made my eyes go funny.

BrendaP

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2020, 11:50:18 AM »
I didn't know you could still get net curtains  :P

Of course you can still get net curtains and net curtaining
www.woodyattcurtains.com
and lots of other places.

I have plain shear curtains at all the front windows; they look bare without.  I does depend a bit on the style of the windows and how close to the street you are.

As for sewing something with holes as big as that try putting a layer of tissue paper underneath and then tear it away when done.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

wrenkins

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »
I too hate 'netties' but in my bedroom they are essential as I sleep at the front, on the ground floor, on a narrow lane.  :)
I had not considered this as I had never lived in a bungalow before.  :S It's not the sleeping that's the problem. It's the wandering nekid from the bedroom to the bathroom and back when one is used to being upstairs and not overlooked! At the moment I have some stolen from him indoors but I have my eye on some more attractive alternatives.  8) Here.
Harbouring resentment is like swallowing poison and waiting for the other person to die!

RosiePosie

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2020, 12:35:15 PM »
I believe a prestigious glossy mag recently   talked about net curtains coming back into fashion.
I live in a narrow lanes and put a net upon the upper front bedroom which means the window can be open all day in the summer and it should inhibit too many flies etc coming in .  Also serves as privacy so the people opposite can't see directly into the room .

Growing up, my granny always had the most hideous net curtains, so I was never too keen on them, but the house we’ve moved to has a bedroom that is very much overlooked and although I’m fairly relaxed where nudity is concerned, I can’t speak for my neighbours. I thought if we’re going to get some net, we might as well make a bit of a statement of it. Interesting what you say about the magazine. We shall have to see!

Iminei

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2020, 12:47:15 PM »
When I last went to Ikea (the day before everyone was ordered to close) I saw this fab u lous sheer blind which just looks awesome ...

It has a subtle floral/paisley/fleur de lys pattern on it which stands out when the light comes through ...

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

the feel is not nice however ... its some sort of plasticky fabric and the pull handle is hideous ... but hey?!
We're resourceful and adding a nicer pull should be simple ...  so overall the whole  look is to die for and if we ever get out of this I may well invest in one for my bedroom ... just to get the fabulous effect!

RosiePosie

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »
It’s interesting to see that net curtains are a bit of a contentious subject. They’re not something I ever thought I would get, but having moved into a house that is rather overlooked on both sides, I began looking into the possibility, and found a company called MYB textiles which uses 90 year old looms and original patterns. Some of the designs are really quite lovely. Well, I think so anyway!