The Sewing Place

Merchant and Mills Top 64

annieeg

Merchant and Mills Top 64
« on: May 06, 2020, 18:10:52 PM »
I've just finished this using a fabric purchased from a TSP'er (? possibly Efemera, but I can't remember).
Great pattern (the link is below) - slightly loose around the neckline but I fudged some darts, and I'm quite happy with it. 
I really love the pockets and the top is very comfortable.
BTW - Sorry about the NON-pattern matching :)
They do a dress hack, which I'll definitely buy.
https://merchantandmills.com/store/patterns/the-top-64/
  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  

snoozi soozi

Re: Merchant and Mills Top 64
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 19:29:37 PM »
That looks lovely. I have looked at their patterns but find the pics on the website uninspiring, p'raps they should take new photos?  :)
Let it sew, let it sew, let it sew

SkoutSews

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 20:07:48 PM »
Nice top. It looks good in your chosen fabric.

UttaRetch

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 21:27:14 PM »
I have looked at their patterns but find the pics on the website uninspiring, p'raps they should take new photos?  :)
The clothes all look rather worthy and the photography is

ugly, but I hanker after the Trapeze dress (with sleeves, of course).  I would make it in black linen.

annieeg

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 23:01:16 PM »
I did go to their bricks and mortar shop in Rye which is not far from where I live and  I found it quite inspiring but expensive for my budget.  I think they deliberately show case their patterns in a low key way.
I'd love to do one of their courses as a treat because I really think they know what they're doing but that will have to wait until I have the funds and the lockdown is over.

mudcat

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 01:24:17 AM »
I bought the Merchants & Mills pattern book last year I think or maybe the year before.  Haven't made anything from it yet.  I like the Trapeze dress too and someone on PR just made this Gyo top that I rather like.

I love the fabric in your top.  The top is cute.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:27:26 AM by mudcat »

Missie

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 11:24:52 AM »
The clothes all look rather worthy and the photography is
ugly, but I hanker after the Trapeze dress (with sleeves, of course).  I would make it in black linen.

Ooh, I tend to disagree.  I think it is quite clever.  To me, it is nuancing a school pinafore (which I'm guessing/assuming is the inspiration for the style) and the way the light is shining, it highlights the dress.  I like the photo.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 11:33:19 AM by Missie »

Nevis5

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 12:47:53 PM »
I love Merchant and Mills.  I've made a couple of their patterns and have the Top 64 but not made it up yet.  It looks great, @annieeg  !  I visited their Rye shop a few yers ago and indulged in a piece of their lovely linen - which I've just made up into a skirt (not one of their patterns).  I think their photos tend to be a bit arty and dark but the patterns are reliable.

Was just thinking last night I might dig out their pattern book and make up a Heron wrap top in some nice spotty linen I have.. :thinking:

jintie

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 13:17:15 PM »
Check PR for how folk have made them up in different fabrics.

Rottweiler with scissors

annieeg

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 13:30:24 PM »
Check PR for how folk have made them up in different fabrics.
What's PR please?

Missie

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2020, 13:34:05 PM »

Happymrsg

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2020, 22:18:41 PM »
I have made the camber top & dress a few times.
Very pleased with this pattern

Gernella

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 10:03:56 AM »
I've looked a few  times but find them very uninspiring, more suited to the slim and  tall as they appear to have no shape at all.  My usual pattern printing place appears to have closed down so I went elsewhere.  They also sell their own patterns, which appear the same, absolutely nothing that  will fit a little dump truck or rather will fit but will not enhance the body, I need enhancement.

I can tell  at a glance whether something will look fine on m, although sometimes line drawing are not very inspiring either.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 18:28:41 PM »
@Gernella
I'm a size 18/20 and 5'2" so I am in the dump truck category. ;)
Ive tried loads of patterns for tops/tunics to wear with ,leggings for around the house but they end up looking like they are oversized and far too ill fitting.  What I like about  TOP 64 is it is not oversized, the pOckets are really clever and it puts me in mind of something akin to a SEASALT top.
I'll try and get OH to take a photo of me wearing this newest version in an effort to illustrate this point.

jintie

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 18:52:44 PM »
They are making bigger sizes now- check their website for made up examples.
Rottweiler with scissors