The Sewing Place

Question about toile fabric?

Surest1tch

Question about toile fabric?
« on: May 09, 2017, 23:00:09 PM »
In my last job I had unlimited access to muslin to make toiles from but I'm finding it hard to get hold of at a reasonable price now I'm in civvy street so to speak. I just wondered what you use please?

Ravingdoll

Re: Question about toile fabric?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 23:04:32 PM »
Old sheets and duvet covers from charity shops and donations from friends/neighbours for me!

Ellabella

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 23:08:31 PM »
Anything you can get your hands on basically.

I've just toiled a dress for DD from an old duvet cover and the toile for my recent jacket was from a pair of flowery curtains that belonged to my mum. 

I just try to match the weight of the fabric where possible and obviously woven for wovens and knits for knits.

Knit fabric is harder to source, I just buy a few metres of cheap stuff when I find it

Francesca

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 23:18:50 PM »
I can usually find cotton for 99p to £1.99 on eBay.

Also if you are wanting cheap jersey, keeping an eye out in Primark for jersey bedsheets is good. They don't always have them, but when they do they're perfect to stock up on.

I also have a roll of curtain lining I got very cheap (or maybe by mistake - they must've sent me more than the 13m I ordered considering I used 13m and still have a massive roll...)

charlotte

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 00:02:06 AM »
I use curtain lining fabric. I buy it 10m at a time off eBay.

Bloobell

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 11:19:08 AM »
I too use curtain lining for woven toiles. I buy from Merrick and Day, and buy enough to get the wholesale price, but that's about 50m at a time. I'm self employed as a dressmaker but a roll still lasts me a year or two. Could you buy a bulk roll with a few friends and split it?

Surest1tch

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 19:03:48 PM »
Thanks everyone, I can't find the curtain lining for 99p on ebay other than samples so I guess I need to have a good look around the charity shops for old duvet covers and sheets.
I've just purchased the Surefit designs pants kit so it's probably more important than ever to make toiles.