The Sewing Place

My first ever top/blouse

Emma2109

My first ever top/blouse
« on: May 08, 2017, 14:49:00 PM »
Hi

I am a newbie to sewing after getting my first sewing machine at Christmas (I dabbled at school many many years ago!).

I have just made my first ever top....the fabric cost £3 as it was in the bargain bin and the buttons were out of a bag of mixed buttons I got for Christmas. The top fits perfect (after a bit of pattern adjustment) and it was the first time I have used bias tape, sewed princess seams and used my button hole foot!!....

Can anyone suggest some simple blouse patterns I can try....I have been looking for a bardot/off th shoulder pattern...

Many thanks xxx

Surest1tch

Re: My first ever top/blouse
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 15:08:01 PM »
You certainly made a good job of that to say you are a beginner.  I wont advise on a pattern for you because only you know how confident you are and I would hate to dent your enthusiasm by suggesting something too complicated.
My first top was something similar to yours but without the buttons, why not have a go at something similar but with perhaps a vee or sweetheart neckline?

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 15:08:25 PM »
Very nice - and I love the buttons!  Let's hope we have a lovely sunny summer so you can wear it a lot.   :flower:
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

talamasca

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 16:34:31 PM »
That looks lovely and the diff coloured buttons are a great touch.  I can't advise on patterns I'm afraid cos I'm a newbie too....so will be seeing what people recommend  :D

Lantana

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 19:35:05 PM »
It's many many years since I made clothes so can't offer advice on the pattern. Just wanted to say congratulations on getting this done ...seems liked you got practise in a lot of techniques. I love the buttons idea and as an ex librarian I was also taken with the backdrop!

L :vintage:

Lilian

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 19:41:33 PM »
You've done a fabulous job with that blouse, the buttons are lovely!  Congratulations on your first make  :toast:  :vintage:
Willing but not always able :)

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 19:48:36 PM »
What a great job for a beginner.  Love the idea of the buttons.

SingingSinger

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 19:51:21 PM »
That looks great! I love the fabric. I made a top in a similar multicolour polka dot and it cheers me up to wear it.

An off-the-shoulder/Bardot style top might need to be made out of a knit fabric so that it has enough cling to not keep slipping down your arms.

I make quite a few sleeveless tops. I've just made view D of New Look 6376 (came free with a magazine) which I quite like but it's a bit voluminous. My favourite shell top is from the Great British Sewing Bee book (http://www.sewmag.co.uk/free-sewing-patterns/sewing-bee-sleevless-shell-top) which has a facing rather than bias edging. I find bias a bit fiddly to be honest.
Mostly a dressmaker with a few other crafts thrown in. Teetering on the Darkside. Owner of vintage machines Singer 201K and Elna Lotus SP (and a Brother Innovis 350SE and Pfaff Ambition 620)

Kittensposies

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 20:14:10 PM »
Another one who loves the buttons!!

Really nice pattern and finish. I need a button back top!

Emma2109

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 01:03:46 AM »

as an ex librarian I was also taken with the backdrop!

Haha...the backdrop is a digital print bookcase that hides a pull down bed for guests...xxx...I have som of the material left over and am tempted to make a skirt..x

Emma2109

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 01:06:12 AM »
I used the pattern out of the great British sewing bee book...I left it as a half button back top so I can wear a contrasting cami top underneath

Zigzag

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 10:00:29 AM »
Beautiful blouse and nice fabric choice.   <3

BrendaP

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »
That's really good for a first attempt - and as others have said the buttons are what really make it stand out.  Well done. :cake: :flower:
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Ellabella

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 16:56:14 PM »
Congratulations, attempting buttonholes on your first make is very impressive.

Lantana

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 19:31:47 PM »
as an ex librarian I was also taken with the backdrop!

Haha...the backdrop is a digital print bookcase that hides a pull down bed for guests...xxx...I have som of the material left over and am tempted to make a skirt..x

Ha ha I thought it might be! 0_0. Either that or you are were a university don .... or owner of a stately home!

L :vintage: