The Sewing Place

Lighting Machine Assessory

Gernella

Lighting Machine Assessory
« on: May 08, 2020, 11:49:09 AM »
I've been hanging my nose over this since before Christmas, deciding to buy his little brother to  tide me on, which is great, especially for when I want to move downstairs when it gets hot.

Anyway I just happened to have a look at my sewing Wish List and it had come down in price.  Takes me over my set Visa budget each month but worth it.  The old one is just an Anglepoise with a Daylight bulb in, which is many years old and sometimes sags, onto me head.   I will still keep it but have it angled all the time on the other machine instead

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B079M5J7C4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've seen some stick on the machine lights recently advertised on Facebook but not much use if you are doing a bit of hand sewing or polishing up your skills with the stitch ripper.  I face north as well in the sewing room so lots of extra light needed in winter. 

Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Ellabella

Re: Lighting Machine Assessory
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 12:24:40 PM »
@Gernella DH has one of these in his workshop and it awesome, unfortunately I don’t want to sew in there.

Our son bought it for him after he saw his dad struggling with the crappy light he had. DH has no idea how much it cost or the silly old b****r would never switch it on :facepalm:

Efemera

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 12:49:02 PM »
Oh... that’s a bit posh.

Bodgeitandscarper

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 13:47:34 PM »
Oooh, I want one!!

I bought a cheap version that only lasted 6 months, but I prised the cover off the light bit, put some led strips of lights in and taped the cover back on - not as bright as I'd like, but it works for now.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2020, 14:31:04 PM »
I think that would be a great light @Gernella

I bought one of these a while ago to go over my ironing board in the sewing room as I was sick of trying to press without being able to see.  The two separate heads are useful to move wherever you want.  I needed a clamp on light as it’s more convenient. 
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/The-Daylight-Company-DN1510-Duolamp_Clamp_White/dp/B01KTQ8KC4/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?dchild=1&keywords=Daylight+Company%2C+Duolamp_Clamp_White+%5BEnergy+Class+A%5D&qid=1588944271&s=lighting&sr=1-1-fkmr0

Gernella

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 15:59:28 PM »
DH is a bit like that @Ellabella, what is the point of quibbling over the price if you have the the cash, for the sake of something that helps you do the job.

He's got a  thing about lighting as well, would have a 40w bulb in the little light shade near the tv if he got chance.  My dad was the opposite get a good light so you could see what you are doing, so of course I take after him.   
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Marniesews

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 16:45:29 PM »
Lighting has been so crucial since I started sewing again after retirement and it looks like that one really has some power @Gernella. You may have found your perfect one faster than I did too.

So far I've bought 4 daylight lamps of different designs specifically for sewing - not counting the two that attach to my machines. Not all were expensive, my first two being from Ikea and Aldi. I see them as essential sewing tools now and sometimes it takes some trial and error to get it just right. It's certainly taken a while to find the perfect all-rounder for me but I seem to have that one now after two table top types and a clamp light, the latter having stopped working last year.

I replaced the clamp light with the floor standing version of the duo light like @Ohsewsimple 's. Not everyone wants a floor standing model but it absolutely fits the bill for me resolving all the short comings of the others. It takes up no table top space at all (even the clamp got in the way at times & took time to move around), has a wide range of light levels for day and night time, the hinged tubes can focus light intensely (wonderful unpicking black on black) or spread out for tracing/cutting large pattern pieces and the flexible upper tube can set the tubes horizontally varying about 15" between the upper and lower levels.

It gets used for more than sewing now as a result...  over the back of the chair for reading and even with the tubes upright or angled to bounce off the ceiling for better lighting in zoom videos. It's really doing the job for me so even after having it for more than a year I often have a moment of appreciation when using it.
Hopefully back more regularly! Ballroom sewing may be permanently paused but bag making is the current focus.

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 15:47:14 PM »
Just got an email from Amazon, it is being delivered today.  But, the other stuff I ordered, flea spray, moth doovers and kitty litter locker bags, not coming while the 19th May. 

Still the best stuff is arriving so who cares.

Gernella

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 10:17:38 AM »
Well following receipt of the new overhead light, I discovered  that it  would only clamp on to another table as the folding table i was using  didn't have a suitable place to clamp onto underneath.  Well it did but it would have meant pulling out and shifting everything on it just to get to the other side.  So me being me I went for the easy way, I bought the proper bottom for it like the other angelpoise lamp I have.

I knew it would be heavy, it has to be, but I assumed the size would be similar to the other one, it isn't. One is a neat round one and this is more oval and with 7kg centered on one spot with no distribution, flipping heavy.

But it has been worth it, the lamp is glorious and very stable, highly manoeuvrable and for a north facing room, just the job, especially in winter.  The smaller one I bought at Christmas will be useful for when I have to sew downstairs.

The amazing thing about all this, there was not one moan about spending money, even when the base box arrived nearly as big as the actual lamp box. 

Elnnina

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2020, 11:03:45 AM »
Oh Gernella I do love reading our posts, I, too have a husband that seems to guard the front door and vets my post/parcels and of course if I use a credit card he gets the monthly bills and then wants to know what I have bought.  Very rarely he lets something through without a comment.

A few years ago I wanted a really super ceiling light in my sewing room, only used for sewing etc. and my suggestion was to ask our electrician for advice which I did and I paid for this out of my own account.  It has made such a difference and it is a double daylight tube - so about 4ft long and wow I can see much more easily - by the way my ceiling height is 9'3" so quite a bit higher than the normal ceilings and this is in a 100 year old bungalow.  More recently I bought a Daylight sewing machine lamp that attaches to the machine it is a tiny device and can be moved to another machine if necessary, and as I have a few machines I bought some extra mounts and again this has helped no end with my being able to see more clearly.

Gernella

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2020, 13:32:25 PM »
Guarding the front door is only new because of the virus @Elnnina.  He  takes them in then strips the outer cardboard/ paper and takes it out to the bin, then washes his hands and anything he's touched like door handles.  Normally if something big came it would be upstairs and out of sight.  I've had a few machines arrive and he's been conveniently in the back garden or field.

He can't say much really (although he does) as I pay for my own pleasures and he doesn't have a credit card, he's a 'cash man'.  I keep telling him,  if ever he wanted to borrow money he would be stuffed, no credit record.  You need to borrow money to show that you are consistent in paying it back.   He always tells people that if I had both hands tied behind my back, I would still spend money.  He can tell if a blade of grass has changed direction outside in garden/field, but inside, never notices anything  <3

I look at it this way, why if you need something and you can afford it, not buy it because you could manage.  There might  come a point, say with high inflation, that my retirement income  shrinks with what I can buy,  then I would manage.

We're the same with high ceilings, you need good lights.

You only come this way once, might as well enjoy it while it lasts and have no regrets.