The Sewing Place

Button thru top - any ideas?

annieeg

Button thru top - any ideas?
« on: May 08, 2020, 18:37:56 PM »
Some years ago shirt dresses with elasticated waists an very full skirts were in fashion.  I had such a dress with very long skirt in a really pretty lemon colour with flowers (fabric is viscose).
When the dress looked too dated I painstakingly took the dress apart and kept the button-thru skirt section.  I cAme across this today and thought what a great top it would make - hence I'm on the hunt for a tunic top with a button thru front, short sleeves and no collar or Peter Pan collar.
Anyone got any suggestions?
( random note:   I LOVE  :loveit: unpicking and taking commercially made garments apart)

UttaRetch

Re: Button thru top - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 20:26:27 PM »
I cAme across this today
Er, what did you see?

annieeg

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 21:25:25 PM »
I came across the skirt portion of the dress I had taken apart - sorry if my post was confusing.

Vezelay

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 22:44:33 PM »
What about this? https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/44550. Think it must be out of print but Amazon has some - up to size 14 and EBay has the larger size, used uncut. It's popular on PatternReview.

There's also this https://www.heyjunehandmade.com/product/cheyenne-tunic/ tunic - it has tunic and shirt options and you could mix and match the length, collar etc, and easily shorten the sleeves.

UttaRetch

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 17:03:53 PM »

A Tilton I actually like and it may suit you too.  Line drawings.

annieeg

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 17:55:42 PM »
Thanks for suggestions and I reckon the tilton dress ticks a lot of boxes :) :)

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2020, 19:11:02 PM »
I know this isn't very helpful but I have that Tilton pattern though I haven't made it yet. There is an entry on Marcy Tilton's blog which might be useful @annieeg .

I see that there's one review on pattern review which says that the sleeve facings are 1.5" too long (for the sleeveless version) and the collar instructions are rather opaque. Although I like Marcy Tilton patterns I have found little errors in a number of the patterns, rspecially the more recent ones. Nothing that can't be fixed but you have to be careful! Still, it's a nice pattern and I plan to make it up this summer.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 19:30:05 PM by Tamnymore »
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Tamnymore

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 08:08:31 AM »
@annieeg I don't know if it alerts you but I've sent you a pm about this pattern.

annieeg

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 09:13:21 AM »
@Tamnymore
Hi,  I did see your pm and sent you a reply around 12 noon yesterday.  Did you not receive it?

Tamnymore

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 09:52:46 AM »
It's me @annieeg . It didn't alert me to your reply! (Hmm. Wonder why?) I've got your message now and will post it later today. Glad my spare copy of the pattern can be useful.

UttaRetch

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2020, 13:25:43 PM »
If it's the Tilton, I would be interested to see how it turns out as it has peaked my interest.

annieeg

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2020, 14:22:07 PM »
@UttaRetch
It is indeed the Tilton and I will post it when made (will do a toile first). 0_0

Tamnymore

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2020, 14:40:52 PM »
It's on its way to you now @annieeg . Glad that my spare copy has found a good home.  :D

annieeg

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 15:05:34 PM »
 :D :D :D

Acorn

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 16:07:08 PM »
I do wish Tilton patterns were available as PDFs!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.