The Sewing Place

Lutterloh! Any Lutterlohniacs around here?

BajaSusana

Lutterloh! Any Lutterlohniacs around here?
« on: May 08, 2017, 16:19:05 PM »
Lutterloh! Lutterloh! Lutterloh!Do you have the system? Have you used it?
I make 99% of my clothing using Lutterloh patterns.
 I started with them back in the 80s when I attended a seminar at a fabric store.
I purchased the system and went crazy sewing and mixing and matching pattern pieces. I was a slim size 4. My 15 year-old daughter was quite a bit larger. i could make on-trend clothes that fit her. And I have even made mother/daughter outfits.
Some of my boxes did not get delivered to MX on our initial trip, and my Lutterloh system was in one of those boxes.
I struggled with Big 4 patterns and finally gave up sewing garments.
Then someone on PR was selling a complete system very cheaply. I purchased it and have been sewing for myself since then. It only took me a little while to get back up to speed after a nearly 20 year hiatus.
Patterns are hard to come by here. And they have never worked for me.
There is a Lutterloh distributor in Mexico City and she sends me the updates.
I know that Ralph Lutterloh attends the big sewing shows in the UK.
If you use Lutterloh, or have an interest, I would love to talk with you!

UttaRetch

Re: Lutterloh! Any Lutterlohniacs around here?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 16:27:13 PM »
I haven't gone down the custom pattern route - wary of Lekala and Bootstrap - but I do attend a couple of sewing conventions a year and there is always a Lutterloh mini seminar that is well attended.  When I was still sewing, I was reasonably happy with the 'big 4', but I 'picked my battles' and didn't try to fit a quart into a pint pot0_0

JillH

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 16:11:51 PM »
Yes, I use Lutterloh.  My recent foray into a winter jacket was a Lutterloh pattern.  For some reason it came out about 12 inches too big round the chest area, I don't know why as I'd never done that before and I've been using Lutterloh for years. Anyway, I managed to make it fit (eventually) :D.  Well... enough of a fit that it doesn't look silly.
Jill -  trying to grow old disgracefully.

Zigzag

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 17:27:45 PM »
I used Lutterloh system ages ago. It works, but time is needed to mark the size out onto large sheets of paper.  One day I may get round to using the pattern books again that I have.  We are so lucky to have many pattern choices today. :vintage:

Efemera

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 18:50:58 PM »
I've never used it but have 2 books with patterns from the 40s and one from the 70s..they have the tape measures and the curves so I may well give it a go sometime.

BajaSusana

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 13:50:02 PM »
I used Lutterloh system ages ago. It works, but time is needed to mark the size out onto large sheets of paper.  One day I may get round to using the pattern books again that I have.  We are so lucky to have many pattern choices today.
It takes a little time to draw out a pattern. But the results are usually a perfect fit.
 It takes time to work with paper patterns, and then they may still not fit.
 I have a TNT blouse, a tank, a cowl and a skirt that I make over and over. If I am in a hurry and need something for a specific event and have left it too late, I use a TNT and make the fabric sing the song!
I also buy velum from the US Lutterloh site, I am sure that there is a UK site. The velum is wonderful, erasable and I use it for a press cloth as well.
I rarely use other patterns. I have two TNT Lekala tops and one shirt dress that I use over and over.
And I have some Vogues that I rarely use.
 I love Lutterloh and love to leaf through my books and supps.
I am happy to encourage and support you!

BajaSusana

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 13:53:16 PM »
Yes, I use Lutterloh.  My recent foray into a winter jacket was a Lutterloh pattern.  For some reason it came out about 12 inches too big round the chest area, I don't know why as I'd never done that before and I've been using Lutterloh for years. Anyway, I managed to make it fit (eventually) :D.  Well... enough of a fit that it doesn't look silly.
Sometimes there are badly drafted patterns. I found one.
 But did you mistakenly use a fuller figure pattern and you are not curvy? That could make the difference.
I just  will not  use those OTHER patterns. I have a few Lekala that I like and some Vogues that I bought in a fit of madness!

JillH

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 16:28:23 PM »
I generally use fuller figure patterns but I just don't know what I did with this jacket.  :'(  I'll draw it out again sometime to see if there is any difference.  I have TNT patterns for a blouse and some Tshirts which I use all the time but I think I'll have to try trousers sometime.  :)
Jill -  trying to grow old disgracefully.

Didi

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 12:23:37 PM »
I have been looking at it mainly because everything I make lately doesn't fit properly no matter how much effort I put into fitting to the point where I am seriously considering giving up completely and selling my sewing machine
I don't understand how it can make clothes to fit different body shapes with just 2 measurements, whatbif your not a "standard" shape, my waist is at least a size bigger than my bust and hip in every pattern I have ever seen so I always have to adjust and what about cup size do you still need to do a FBA or my pot belly how is that accommodated.
I am reluctant to spend such a lot of money if I am still going to be facing the same fitting challenges, it's depressing enough being e shape I am without spending such a lot of money on a system only to find it's actually no better than printed patterns and I still have to do all the adjustments

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 12:56:52 PM »
Didi  please don't give up on sewing.  And don't think you're alone in the fit problem. Patterns are made for an average person who doesn't actually exist.  Any system of pattern making has to come with some effort to fit the body.  Even those that are made to measure have to be fitted.  Measurements are one thing but that doesn't always allow for varying figures. (  One that comes to mind is the nape to waist measurement.  You may have the length right but that has not allowed for something like a rounded back.  This will show up a problem at the neck and armhole.  Once that is accounted for you may find that the back length is actually too long ).   And the fabric you use can make a difference too.  So you may have a TNT pattern and choose to make it in a completely different  fabric.  I've had this myself.  Chose a heavier fabric, and hey presto, darts in the wrong place!   I think once you come to terms with the fact that there is not a perfect answer to this fit game, you will be happier. 
Do you have anyone nearby who can help with your fitting issues? 

DementedFairy

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 13:05:40 PM »

I don't understand how it can make clothes to fit different body shapes with just 2 measurements, whatbif your not a "standard" shape, my waist is at least a size bigger than my bust and hip in every pattern I have ever seen so I always have to adjust and what about cup size do you still need to do a FBA or my pot belly how is that accommodated.

Chin up sweetie- my waist is SEVERAL sizes above my hips, as is my bust.  Bust and waist don't 'match' either.  FBA's are a blessing for pot bellies as they add extra width in at the front.  You may never get perfect fit, it's an illusion [like perfect health] - the more you learn, the more minor issues will irk you.  No one ELSE will know though!

Keep at it, we all hit the doldrums, more often than you think
C'est moi!

Didi

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 13:57:28 PM »
I understand how to fit and know I have to do certain things on every pattern FBA.  and as I call it pot belly adjustment I am short so always need to alter that it's only the last few months I have had so many problems I never used to before I guess having screwed up yet another item into the bin this morning I'm just getting a bit sick of it now
I'm starting to think if I am going to carry on sewing I am going to have to learn pattern drafting. I have done a basic skirt block previously which wasn't that hard just time consuming
I just don't get what I'm doing wrong or not doing I don't think I'm doing anything different to what I've always done before but everything I sew lately is quite frankly dreadful and I've just had enough
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 14:00:10 PM by Didi »

DementedFairy

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 14:12:51 PM »
sounds like your body is changing [as the ruddy things do] and you need a fit buddy.
C'est moi!

Didi

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2017, 15:35:19 PM »
I'm blaming my stupid thyroid !!! And the appalling state of treatment formthyroid patients in this ( and every other) country lol

It's really odd because the other day I was running up a pair of pull on trousers from a pattern I had made lots of times before actually wearing a pair made last year which fit and are so comfy and lo and behold the new ones --- look a mess. Both are a linen mix both were made exactly the same yet the new ones are awful, they are pulling across my stomach and the crotch "feels" wrong as if it's to long

Anyway enough of my woes sorry for hijacking the thread

DementedFairy

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2017, 15:38:20 PM »
Could you be crumpling  a little?  Can happen at any age, obv worse post-menopause.  [No intention to offend, no idea of your age group!]
When I was fitting my friend the other day she had clear signs of some crumpling, with more rounded shoulders, and a slightly raised tummy bump.  These can case major grief in trousers...
not the shoulders lol, but the tummy, as you need a lot more length in the front

And we won't even get into the whole Lady Lunch issue... :devil:
C'est moi!