The Sewing Place

A Bernina, I Don't think so, not at that price

Gernella

A Bernina, I Don't think so, not at that price
« on: May 10, 2020, 11:07:37 AM »
Cruising around and saw this:

https://www.bambersew.com/bernina-1008s-sewing-machine-813-p.asp

I don't dispute, it is a nice machine but this is more like daylight robbery.  I know they are no longer making them (so I've heard) but no need to take the mick.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Celia

Re: A Bernina, I Don't think so, not at that price
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 11:20:44 AM »
Unbelievable :faints:  I nearly bought one not that long ago

Sewingsue

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 11:37:35 AM »
It does show the power of an on-line image though.

My second reaction was 'not what I would expect from that firm'. Just shows how wrong (or easily manipulated) one can be.

E.T.A. same model on ebay (from Germany) £1097.81
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 11:41:43 AM by Sewingsue »
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

So Chic

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 13:55:11 PM »
It’s a lot for a machine that is probably not made in Switzerland but Bambers could have had to pay a high price for them and Bernina never offer much of a discount and also keep tight control of sales.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 14:36:57 PM »
That seems to be the price in other places too.  So I’m guessing that’s Bernina's price. 
Personally I wouldn’t even pay half for it.  It’s very basic and when I  used it I didn’t like it.    But that is a huge price increase. 

Sara-S

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 18:12:40 PM »
I’ve never used a Bernini machine, but noticed that they charge a lot for machines that don’t have that many features. What makes them so expensive?
You can't scare me. I taught high school for 32 years.

KayK

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2020, 08:59:11 AM »
That is indeed ludicrous!

I’ve never used a Bernini machine, but noticed that they charge a lot for machines that don’t have that many features. What makes them so expensive?

Yes, they are expensive, but the quality and build is second to none.  Everything is well engineered, the walking foot is a work of art.  I have had three in my lifetime, and they are so very different.

That said, I still wouldnt pay almost 2k for that machine!
I have learnt by my mistakes: Sewing machines now are Bernina 720, Bernina 1008, Bernina 801 from 1981, Brother overlocker, ancient but works well

Gernella

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2020, 10:17:26 AM »
It was no where near that price before, so why take the mick and put it up.  I've had a look round and a few more have done the same thing if they still have them. I do hope they get stuck with them

I've been dithering whether to swap my little Activa 215 for the next model up, but what is the point, I only use a couple of months of the year normally, for big stuff I like my big machine and to be honest it is just another of my whims for something shiny and new, all I need is someone to  :fish: me.

I've been eyeing the Pfaffs in case my 11 year old one decides to die and to be honest for what you get they are far superior to the Bernina and the IDT feature is not to be sneezed at. I don't need fancy stitches  I just need a machine that will stand being hammered without needing an annual expensive service every year. 

It's  getting to be a bit like my old ink jet printers and my current air purifier, by the time you've paid for high price cartridges and filters, you could have bought a couple more machines. 
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included

Sewingsue

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2020, 11:20:28 AM »
I get the impression that there have been price rises on a number of 'one off purchase' items judging by comments I see in other forums.

Now it may be that there are problems with supply, but I suspect the realisation that, since people are staying home, they have decided now is the time to make that purchase they had been considering has more to do with it.
Bernina Aurora 440QE, Brother BC-2500, Singer 99K (1938), Juki MO-654DE overlocker, Silver Viscount 620D overlocker.

Kwaaked

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2020, 11:30:11 AM »
It's about that much here in the US.

I imagine the cost is because it's their last mechanical and made from metal gears and not plastic.

jintie

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 14:14:26 PM »
My 1015 is almost identical to the 1008, and has been running for nearly 30 years.
It is a Rolls Royce machine,  but a cheaper Janome does the same thing.
Rottweiler with scissors

Iminei

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 14:30:11 PM »
E.T.A. same model on ebay (from Germany) £1097.81

Maybe a typo ????

£1999 ... or £1099 ???
The Imperfect Perfectionist sews again

Sewingforfun

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 18:10:01 PM »
I have a 1008 and it was considerably less than half that price (about £875) new about 5 years ago. That's a crazy price.
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.

So Chic

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »
@Sewingforfun
The cost of all Bernina feet. etc. have doubled in price over the last few years, for example I paid £55 for my walking foot and it now retails at roundabout £100.  Part of the reason is that the Swiss Franc is so strong against most other currencies.  My cousin has reluctantly moved back to the UK as he and his wife felt that they could no longer afford to live there.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

Sewingforfun

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 09:40:21 AM »
@Sewingforfun
The cost of all Bernina feet. etc. have doubled in price over the last few years, for example I paid £55 for my walking foot and it now retails at roundabout £100.  Part of the reason is that the Swiss Franc is so strong against most other currencies.  My cousin has reluctantly moved back to the UK as he and his wife felt that they could no longer afford to live there.

The franc is strong, and the pound still very very weak thanks to Brexit... that all makes sense, plus that looks like it's one fo the very few new 1008s left. But I still think it's a daft price!
Dancing too much and trying to remember sewing is for fun! Used to be CarolC.