The Sewing Place

Topical but...

Catllar

If life gives you lemons, add to gin and tonic !

Acorn

Re: Topical but...
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 12:11:07 PM »
Can you imagine how damp and hot that's going to get?
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Acorn

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 12:13:28 PM »
... and I'm not convinced it would be possible to breathe through this one at all!!
I might look as though I'm talking to you, but inside my head I'm sewing.

Ohsewsimple

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 14:33:06 PM »
OMG.  Masks are supposed to be practical and serve a purpose.  This really isn’t the time to showcase 'pretty stuff'. 

So Chic

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 16:43:01 PM »
Hopefully we will be back to near normal by the time anyone finishes this mask.
So Chic
Bernina Artista 630, Bernina 800DL, Janome Cover Pro 1000CP and an elderly Singer Touch & Sew 720G as a back up

BrendaP

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 17:13:22 PM »
I played around with making a couple of masks this morning - they have elastics going over and behind the head because we both found that ear loop versions were uncomfortable and Terry found that they pulled his hearing aids off!  Also the sizes given in a lot of patters are quite skimpy; to be comfortable (and do its job) it needs to go well above the nostrils and down to to a little below the chin.  Also a non-woven layer is necessary to prevent viruses the size of Covid-19 getting through.

Might do a tutorial later on.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Tamnymore

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 17:34:38 PM »
I've made masks for family and friends and have used ties rather than elastic round the ears. Like you @BrendaP I found that round the ear loops were uncomfortable and they threatened to dislodge my specs. I use a double layer of tightly woven cotton with folds so it covers from nose to chin. It is possible to put extra padding in the middle through a gap in the back but I find it just too hot to wear though DH is OK with an extra 'filter' layer. I find them ok to wear for shopping though my specs sometimes steam up a bit (but maybe that's because of the Waitrose prices!)
'One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art.' Oscar Wilde

Lowena

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 17:57:46 PM »
I won't ever wear a mask. I can't bear anything over my face
Triumph of hope over experience :D

Kwaaked

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 19:58:30 PM »
I won't ever wear a mask. I can't bear anything over my face

I mostly don't wear one, but my business and places like hair dressers you have to have them on to be open.  Even though I am closed, I have to have one on in my office so that if the health department shows up I don't get fined and closed down.

A supplier of my business sent me some of my logo branded masks.  I can, of course, buy more from them and really, they are as cheap as I could make them (cheaper if I had to buy my own logo fabric).  I keep threatening to bedazzle one of them.

BrendaP

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 21:49:27 PM »
I know it's still debatable as to how effective masks are, but @Lowena  if push does come to shove and you have the option of going shopping (food, garden or anything else wearing a mask, or not wearing one and not going, or not wearing one and being socially ostracised and heavily fined which would you do?

Currently I don't wear one if I go out the front door and turn left to walk the dog because I'm going away from the houses, but if I turn right to go to the corner shop I do wear one.  Both the shops in the village are small and it is difficult sometimes to keep to the 2m rule, and they are indoor environments.  I haven't been to a proper supermarket since before all this started.
Brenda.  My machines are: Corona, a 1953 Singer 201K-3, Caroline, a 1940 Singer 201K-3, Thirza, 1949 Singer 221K, Azilia, 1957 Singer 201K-MK2 and Vera, a Husqvarna 350 SewEasy about 20 years old. Also Bernina 1150 overlocker and Elna 444 Coverstitcher.
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 23:00:51 PM »
I have my mask on now, on my chin, in my office. That'd be a bedroom with a desk and wheelie chair,  no bed.  ;)
I'm doing a tidy out front, raking up stuff I trimmed at nightfall so I can get the bins out for Monday.

I'd wear the mask normally anyway when it's breezy, pollen time, like now or even the dreaded h*******k. I've worn them shopping in the past during bad flu and virus seasons. Now I have company.

I wouldn't dream of going in public without a mask right now. To me it's the right thing to do if you give a rat's backside about anyone. It says you're part of the team, willing to endure a minor inconvenience for the greater good.

Course if someone is staying in their own home or on their own property I don't care. But come in public then show a little respect and consideration.  :ninja:
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Sheilago

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 23:03:18 PM »
I’ve been sewing lots of the folded type masks using this mask pattern
for the basic design.
They seem to fit most people well as you can tie the tapes to fit your face.
I added a layer of sew-in ( not fusible) interfacing and use flannel on the inside ( so cut 2 pieces 7.5” x9”) instead of folding one big piece. I also added a pocket on the outside for a filter.

Renegade Sewist

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 23:09:44 PM »
I stayed away from flannel linings. Yes, soft and comfy but many more fibers to get inhaled if someone breathes deeply. As an allergy sufferer I'm very wary of getting things inhaled that don't belong in a body. I'd read to use flannel as a filtering inner layer, not the face touching lining. Batik and other tightly woven cotton are recommended for that.
Hey Bill! Read the manual!  Hehehe.

Gernella

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2020, 10:24:31 AM »
I used a mask years  ago when I first started with asthma while hairdressing.  I wore glasses then as well and I can tell you I was hot. very hot, not a pleasant memory  although will be different in the open air.  It must be awful for the nursing staff at the moment because hospitals are generally over heated to start with.
Stash extension 2024- 6.1 meters
Left at the end of 2023 - 66 meters now (includes fabric found hidden out of sight)  Lining fabric not included